close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carrying Extra Magazine

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ricklee4570, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

When carrying concealed, what is your preferred method to carry an extra magazine?

2. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

3. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

I usually carry it rolled up in my hand so that I'll have something to read.

Seriously, I don't carry one. I keep one in my vehicle. Should I have to carry it, I'd just slip it in my pocket. My lifestyle isn't likely to put me in a situation where I need a duty belt.

4. blhar15

blhar15

I just throw one in my back pocket.

5. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I carry two spare mags in two recently purchased Blackhawk leather single carriers on my offside. I sometimes also carry a BUG in my offside front pocket.

6. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Up until I carried Glocks, I usually had single stack mags, or a revolver. In this case, I would pocket my spare mag/speed strip.

now that i carry a G27.. I usually do not carry an extra mag on my body. I do slip it in my backpack (i carry a small backpack as my "purse"...rural vermont you need all kinds of stuff in the backpack!!) or jacket pocket.

i am thinking of reverting back to a snubbie for carry... so suddenly the nine rounds in my G27 without any reload seem lot plenty.

7. Chipotle

Chipotle

conversely... I carried a snub .38 for over a decade and now a G26 or 1911. My thinking: If the snub was enough then, I have overkill now without having to carry an extra mag.

If the SHTF I have 11 rounds (or 9 if carrying the 1911) to solve the problem or get me to my car for another mag which must then get me home. Elaborate plans like this might not be tactically sound, but they are easier than carrying an extra mag.

8. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

I carry a G26. I carry a G19 mag in the "watch" pocket of my jeans.

It is strong-side, which is not my preference, but it works and I train with it.

9. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

10. dosei

dosei

...in a mag carrier on the weak side.

I only use single mag carriers, even when carrying more than one mag...single are just much more versatile. My carriers are OWB, but my holster is IWB. A cover garment that keeps the gun from printing will also keep my mag carriers from printing. I do not tuck. If my shirt is tucked in then I will have some type of untucked cover garment. So for me, IWB mag carriers are not needed.

My mag carriers are from KyTac, but are very much like the Comp-TAC ones in the link.

11. COLDSTEEL165

COLDSTEEL165

If I am carring a revolver I carry 2 HKS speedloaders & if I am carry a auto I carry 2 Mags in a Fobus double Mag case, never any problems with either one of these ways

12. huntall50

huntall50

I drop one in a pocket, I will need cover before I need a reload!

13. drizzle

drizzle

Has there ever been a documented modern shooting incident where a civilian needed to reload during a gunfight?

I know everyone will say 'I don't want to be the first and not have one', I'm just playing devil's advocate. I can't imagine being a civilian and carrying both spare magazines and a BUG every day unless I lived or worked someplace there were bullets flying daily. I grant every point that it's your choice to carry heavy, but sometimes it seems like prepared edges into paranoia.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  14. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

On my belt, mag/flashlight offside leather holder. (I Carry a G-30 with G-21 mag)

I don't necessarily carry an extra mag just for the reload. I carry it in case the primary mag has issues.

15. bayshtyshorty

bayshtyshorty

+1 but i drive a truck :tongueout:

16. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I carry three 5 rnd speed loaders in my front pocket, when I had my Glock I carried two extra mags on the weak side in a mag holder leather.
    Regards
    DW

17. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Exactly.

I'm left-handed, so I used to carry one in my watch pocket. But that makes it hard to be lazy and stuff my hands in my pockets. Now, I carry it in a Comp-Tac Mag Pouch (the one linked earlier), or in my front right pocket.

One caveat on the Comp-Tac pouch. The back of the tension adjuster is not countersunk into the kydex, so it doesn't sit flush with the inner part that slips over your belt. The bottom edge of the nut is sharp, and if you're not careful, it will catch the top of your belt as you put it on. Over time, this chewed up the finish on a nice beltman belt. It doesn't seem to scratch the surface of the belt once it's on, but if you wear a thicker belt (e.g. double-thick leather with a stiffening insert), you may have problems with it scratching the face of the belt.

18. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

+1 to the watch pocket carry location. I'm a Southpaw, so it works out just fine for me if/when a reload is needed.

19. Bead

Bead Millennium Member

I realize it's a personal preference so what works for me may not for someone else or circumstances and environment may be different dictating different choices. About the only time I carry a spare mag is if I have my G26 in a shoulder holster I'll have a G19 mag in the pouch on the other side. Otherwise I just look at it as something else to keep concealed and think about if I want to access my pockets.

The overwhelming number of non-LEO involved incidents happen at about 7 feet, in low light, and are over in two to four seconds. Most self defense training that I've taken and am aware of gears the majority of it's drills for this. In that framework when the heck is anyone going to have time to swap a mag? If your gun jams you're a goner which is why I carry Glocks or a J frame Smith. The exceptions might be if you've POd a gang or wander through their territory in a manner that will draw attention to you, something so far I haven't done and don't do.

20. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Many of us carry a spare mag due to possible malfunctions rather than extra ammo. For me, at least, additional rounds are just a byproduct.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010