Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this site. Hoping you guys can help me out.

So I carry Federal HST in my Glock 26. I'm sure just like everyone else I'm having trouble finding ammo. I was able to find some Winchester Silvertip HPs online so I ordered them. My question is if I carry those in my gun, is it a bad idea to carry the Federal in my backup mag? The HSTs are 115 grain and the Winchesters are 147 grain.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,245 Posts
Hello, new to this site. Hoping you guys can help me out.

So I carry Federal HST in my Glock 26. I'm sure just like everyone else I'm having trouble finding ammo. I was able to find some Winchester Silvertip HPs online so I ordered them. My question is if I carry those in my gun, is it a bad idea to carry the Federal in my backup mag? The HSTs are 115 grain and the Winchesters are 147 grain.
As long as each runs without issue in your pistol there is no problem with different ammo in different magazines.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I'd carry them both. Some people would even alternate 115, 147, 115, 147, 115, 147 in both magazines. I'd just carry them both and probably not even worry about which gets loaded and shot first.
Maybe I'd load the Silver Tips in the first magazine just for old time's sake.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Like the other GT members have written, if the ammo functions fine in your G-26 then I wouldn't worry about it. Be glad you have those rounds in case the mob decides to visit your space.

My only question is where you found a 115-grain HST. I don't think they come in any variety besides 124- and 147-grain versions.

·
Mr. Awesome
12,079 Posts
The only possible issue is if they have different points of aim, which they likely don’t. In fact, I carried the issued 180gr Golden Saber in the mags, on my belt, the formerly issued 180gr Golden Saber Bonded (with permission) in the firearm, and a mag of 155 grain Gold Dots, in my pocket.

·
Florist
20,450 Posts
Just don't overthink it and end up alternating the two ammo in one magazine! HST-SilverTip-HST-SilverTip-HST-SilverTip, etc...

Reactions: Gray_Rider

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like the other GT members have written, if the ammo functions fine in your G-26 then I wouldn't worry about it. Be glad you have those rounds in case the mob decides to visit your space.

My only question is where you found a 115-grain HST. I don't think they come in any variety besides 124- and 147-grain versions.
They are actually 124 lol. I was looking at a box of 115 grain blazer when I typed this out. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Shoot what ya brung.

When I carry a Jframe, I carry with 130gr federal hst. They look like hollow point wad cutters. On the speed strips I carry for a reload (yeah, I know), I carry golden sabers as the ogive makes it easier to reload than something with a wad cutter profile.

I realize you’re talking about a semi-auto and me a revolver but the point is, if you NEED to reload, get whatever ammo you can into the gun so it stays in action.

·
FAHRENHEIT
7,338 Posts
I carry bonded JHPs and don't worry about the brand name as long as they function reliably. Sometimes I even have a couple of different brands in one magazine. I'm not dead yet.

·
Brew Crew
28,974 Posts
Shoot what ya brung.

When I carry a Jframe, I carry with 130gr federal hst. They look like hollow point wad cutters. On the speed strips I carry for a reload (yeah, I know), I carry golden sabers as the ogive makes it easier to reload than something with a wad cutter profile.

I realize you’re talking about a semi-auto and me a revolver but the point is, if you NEED to reload, get whatever ammo you can into the gun so it stays in action.
HST makes a 38? Guess I missed that memo. I’ve got a couple boxes of those Speer gold dot short barrel 38’s. They seemed to quit making them years ago.

·
MacGyver
8,095 Posts
Carry ammo should be tested ammo. If you haven't tested it in your gun to ensure it works reliably, better to carry range ammo and focus on shot placement. Many instances of "Hollow Point" "magic ultimate tactical ninja high speed XT YZ self defence gluten free" ammo not feeding up the ramp.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I don’t see a problem. I never stagger different JHPs but I may have Gold Dots in my handgun and then Hornady in my spare mag, just because I don’t have enough Gold Dots for both.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What he said.
Make sure its reliable. If you're an accuracy aficionado know the change in point of impact ( I say that because I have missed targets at 100 yards because of that..

not that you could even.measure the difference at 7 yards)...but if comes to reload.....just make sure you have a reload....and it works.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
One thing I’ve found out is that they are impossible to reload quickly because no bullet nose to help feeding! Not that you’d have to stress reload a revolver, but something to keep in mind.

When I did carry a revolver, I had those in the cylinder and picked a Hornady Critical Defense as the moon clip reload.
Yep, I carry the hst in the cylinder and golden saber for reloads. Golden sabers’ have a nice round ogive and are fairly easy to load.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts