Carrying different ammo in backup mag

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Lovell26, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Lovell26

Lovell26

Hello, new to this site. Hoping you guys can help me out.

So I carry Federal HST in my Glock 26. I'm sure just like everyone else I'm having trouble finding ammo. I was able to find some Winchester Silvertip HPs online so I ordered them. My question is if I carry those in my gun, is it a bad idea to carry the Federal in my backup mag? The HSTs are 115 grain and the Winchesters are 147 grain.

2. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

As long as each runs without issue in your pistol there is no problem with different ammo in different magazines.

3. John_AZ

John_AZ

Doesn’t make any difference so long as they function in your gun

4. Bradley T

Bradley T

I'd carry them both. Some people would even alternate 115, 147, 115, 147, 115, 147 in both magazines. I'd just carry them both and probably not even worry about which gets loaded and shot first.
    Maybe I'd load the Silver Tips in the first magazine just for old time's sake.

Darkangel1846, Gray_Rider and Davers like this.
  5. unit1069

unit1069

Like the other GT members have written, if the ammo functions fine in your G-26 then I wouldn't worry about it. Be glad you have those rounds in case the mob decides to visit your space.

My only question is where you found a 115-grain HST. I don't think they come in any variety besides 124- and 147-grain versions.

n2g and -JCN- like this.
  6. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

All my reloads are cheap FMJ.

Only my first mag is JHP. Because I like to shoot my carry ammo to keep it fresh.

Crang and Gray_Rider like this.
  7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

The only possible issue is if they have different points of aim, which they likely don’t. In fact, I carried the issued 180gr Golden Saber in the mags, on my belt, the formerly issued 180gr Golden Saber Bonded (with permission) in the firearm, and a mag of 155 grain Gold Dots, in my pocket.

BigBluefish, Nanuk and Gray_Rider like this.
  8. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Just don't overthink it and end up alternating the two ammo in one magazine! HST-SilverTip-HST-SilverTip-HST-SilverTip, etc...

Gray_Rider likes this.
  9. Lovell26

Lovell26

They are actually 124 lol. I was looking at a box of 115 grain blazer when I typed this out. Thanks for the advice!

10. yep380

yep380

Shoot what ya brung.

When I carry a Jframe, I carry with 130gr federal hst. They look like hollow point wad cutters. On the speed strips I carry for a reload (yeah, I know), I carry golden sabers as the ogive makes it easier to reload than something with a wad cutter profile.

I realize you’re talking about a semi-auto and me a revolver but the point is, if you NEED to reload, get whatever ammo you can into the gun so it stays in action.

nikerret, jtm129 and Folsom_Prison like this.
  11. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I carry bonded JHPs and don't worry about the brand name as long as they function reliably. Sometimes I even have a couple of different brands in one magazine. I'm not dead yet.

12. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

HST makes a 38? Guess I missed that memo. I’ve got a couple boxes of those Speer gold dot short barrel 38’s. They seemed to quit making them years ago.

13. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

In today’s times carry what ya got, it’s better than sailboat fuel as a reload.

14. yep380

yep380

Folsom_Prison and Intolerant like this.
  15. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Carry ammo should be tested ammo. If you haven't tested it in your gun to ensure it works reliably, better to carry range ammo and focus on shot placement. Many instances of "Hollow Point" "magic ultimate tactical ninja high speed XT YZ self defence gluten free" ammo not feeding up the ramp.

16. -JCN-

-JCN-

One thing I’ve found out is that they are impossible to reload quickly because no bullet nose to help feeding! Not that you’d have to stress reload a revolver, but something to keep in mind.

When I did carry a revolver, I had those in the cylinder and picked a Hornady Critical Defense as the moon clip reload.

BigBluefish and Glock40man like this.
  17. oldmick

oldmick

I don’t see a problem. I never stagger different JHPs but I may have Gold Dots in my handgun and then Hornady in my spare mag, just because I don’t have enough Gold Dots for both.

18. jtm129

jtm129

What he said.
    Make sure its reliable. If you're an accuracy aficionado know the change in point of impact ( I say that because I have missed targets at 100 yards because of that..

not that you could even.measure the difference at 7 yards)...but if comes to reload.....just make sure you have a reload....and it works.

19. yep380

yep380

Yep, I carry the hst in the cylinder and golden saber for reloads. Golden sabers’ have a nice round ogive and are fairly easy to load.

Intolerant and -JCN- like this.
  20. Taft93730

Taft93730

I carry 9mm Speer Gold Dots, but then a backup mag with Underwood/Lehigh penetrators.