GlockTalk Forum banner

181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Banned
8,991 Posts
A bear with 223?

I have told people what to do that is more effective many times.

Bears have very sensitive noses. You just have to punch them in the nose and they go away.

Also, don't buy a subaru. The door handles aren't bear proof and there has been a a lot of bear invasions of Subis around here this summer.
My open air jeep is less bear proof than subarus.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
After much consideration, I believe the answer is a used 12 gauge pump. Add some slugs, buckshot, and birdshot. You will be ready for anything from civil unrest to bear attacks to bagging a rabbit for dinner. If you do it right, you could pay for the whole setup with $200, which eases the pain if it is stolen. Might not be tacticool, but if you can't solve the problem with a couple of tubes of 1oz slugs, you had better save the last one for yourself.

Reactions: plp

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
A bear with 223?

I have told people what to do that is more effective many times.

Bears have very sensitive noses. You just have to punch them in the nose and they go away.

Also, don't buy a subaru. The door handles aren't bear proof and there has been a a lot of bear invasions of Subis around here this summer.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1469011910.989204.jpg

·
Pharaoh
34,530 Posts
My open air jeep is less bear proof than subarus.
Bears have not been attacking jeeps, only subarus.

Maybe bears are just smart and know what kinds of vehicles need trashed?

Reactions: 72Cheyenne

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I can confirm that I have been asked lately more than usual if I plan to offer a safe to store an AR15 in a vehicle. Seems like the perceived threat of not being able to drive away from something like a BLM protest gone bad while you are driving home from work is an increasing concern in an urban environment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Whatever you carry in a vehicle, I would give serious thought as to some way to carry it to and from the vehicle inconspicuously. A Sub2000 is perfect for this (if you can find one!) as it fits in a regular sized backpack or shopping bag.

If you already have a baseball bat bag, guitar case or whatever in the vehicle, then you don't have to leave the rifle behind if your vehicle breaks down. And if you had to deploy a rifle during a riot, then walking around with that same rifle is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention as soon as you get half a mile away from the riot.

·
NRA Life Member
63,408 Posts
With everything going on around the country, I figure it can't hurt to have a good rifle in your vehicle. I kind of worry about it though because you hear on the news that the police foiled a mass shooter, seemingly based on the guns and ammo he was carrying. I've got a soft sided rifle case that holds 5 or 6 mags. If I decide to carry that, I don't see any reason not to use all those. That adds up to a good number of rounds.

Who's got experience with police interactions while toting that much heat? I know most of the police here are pro 2A, but I'd like some insight from them too.
I have never heard of a case where a person was suspected of being a mass shooter just because of the guns and ammo he was carrying.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I carried my Steyr AUG for a while, in the little pocket that has no tire, under the floor mat. Of my 2016 Jeep Cherokee. Loaded magazine in, barrel off, fit in a back pack, + two spare loaded mags .
Then paranoia set in, frightened to leave it, out side Restaurant/movies.
Now back in safe.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
With everything going on around the country, I figure it can't hurt to have a good rifle in your vehicle. I kind of worry about it though because you hear on the news that the police foiled a mass shooter, seemingly based on the guns and ammo he was carrying. I've got a soft sided rifle case that holds 5 or 6 mags. If I decide to carry that, I don't see any reason not to use all those. That adds up to a good number of rounds.

Who's got experience with police interactions while toting that much heat? I know most of the police here are pro 2A, but I'd like some insight from them too.
How would a police know about all the guns and ammo in your vehicle?

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,162 Posts
I work 75 miles from home so I have a get-home bag plus additional supplies. Enough for ~3 days without re-supplies. My trunk gun is a Henry AR-7 .22 caliber survival rifle. Light weight and easy to shoot.

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
My 12 gauge made its way to my trunk the day before duck season started and it will be in there for several months at this point.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Cannot come up with a single scenario where I would need to pull a rifle on .

If shots have already been fired, already behind the eight-ball, pulling a rifle might getcha in trouble.

I suppose if I lived in a rural area I might, though.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
as LE I would assume anyone toting an AR in the trunk also has CWP... SC is mandatory notice of CWP... provided u told me about your CWP and also decided to say "hey just for knowledge I have xxx in my trunk as well" I would reply "OK, great, don't open the trunk and I'll be right back with you" likely with a simple warning. I am not in the business of citing people who are proactive of their defense and the defense of others... again, depending on offense... u blow a red light or DUI, you're in trouble, obviously. I would also likely spark a convo upon return to your door, call volume dependent, and ask about your rig.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I wouldn't be comfortable having an AR in the trunk with the way things are these days. Seems like a good way to make the news and not in a positive manner. Maybe something less politically inflammatory, like a stock 870 shotgun but never something the liberal public consider an assault weapon.

I'm not a PC person, but I have no desire to give the jackasses any more reasons to attack gun ownership.

·
Banned
62,270 Posts
This place really surprises me sometimes

181 - 200 of 212 Posts