Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone here carry their Glock with a round in the chamber IWB at 12 to 2 O'clock? For some reason I just can't get comfy with a chambered Glock pointing at any part of my body. It seems to violate the "Never point a loaded gun at anything you don't want to destroy" rule. Seems to violate general muzzle awareness, no? If you do carry this way, how have you become comfortable with it? I know the gun won't fire without the trigger being pulled but it's an odd feeling nonetheless, especially while seated and the muzzle is pointed at the sequoia and boulders, crotch or thigh. Thanks!

·
Florist
20,781 Posts
I never carry a loaded glock, Period. That combination can be dangerous. And I highly recommend one of those thumb safeties. Keep safety "on" with an unloaded chamber. No chance of accident.

Of course, you can always carry in a shoulder holster. This way, if the gun discharges, the bullet will not hit you. It will just hit whatever is behind you (if gun is horizontal) or next to your feet (vertical). And you get that cool Hollywood/Miami look.

There has been a ton of threads about your concern. And if you're serious about it, don't carry loaded. Many good advise regarding cures have already been given.

·
aSun666
1,594 Posts
I never carry a loaded glock, Period. That combination can be dangerous. And I highly recommend one of those thumb safeties.

No thanks. I carry appendix all the time. Chambered at all times. No exceptions.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
My 27 gets carried in a IWB postioned at 4 O'Clock and is chambered. Carrying chambered is the reason I purchased Glock pistols. I did not want to have to deal with external safeties if the "s_ _ _ hits the fan", in other words point and use.

·
Cool Cat
12,111 Posts
I never carry a loaded glock, Period. That combination can be dangerous. And I highly recommend one of those thumb safeties. Keep safety "on" with an unloaded chamber. No chance of accident.

Of course, you can always carry in a shoulder holster. This way, if the gun discharges, the bullet will not hit you. It will just hit whatever is behind you (if gun is horizontal) or next to your feet (vertical). And you get that cool Hollywood/Miami look.

There has been a ton of threads about your concern. And if you're serious about it, don't carry loaded. Many good advise regarding cures have already been given.
A overly Paranoid opinion at best. :whistling: :upeyes: :dunno:

·
Florist
20,781 Posts
Thanks, I'm always at me best. :)

·
Banned
1,650 Posts
To the OP: get a nice IWB holster, carry chambered, be smart, be safe. There are a variety of holster makers out there.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
http://www.comp-tac.com/
http://www.usgalco.com/
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html

Patchman said:
I never carry a loaded glock, Period. That combination can be dangerous.
Why don't you just carry a sock full of quarters in your pocket, or just break a brick in half and carry that? It would be less expensive than a handgun. A loaded gun is as dangerous (with regards to NDs) as the person carrying it is stupid/ignorant/untrained. Isn't the point of a firearm that it is ready to go and is dangerous to anyone willing to cause you harm?

Patchman said:
Of course, you can always carry in a shoulder holster. This way, if the gun discharges, the bullet will not hit you. It will just hit whatever is behind you (if gun is horizontal) or next to your feet (vertical).
Yeah, instead it'll hit the person standing behind you in line at Target? Sitting behind you in your car? The little kid walking by you or tugging at your leg? Why in the hell would it discharge anyway? Why are you fiddling with the gun and putting your finger in the trigger guard? They don't just "go off."

Patchman said:
And you get that cool Hollywood/Miami look.
You carry a gun because you want to look cool like they do in the movies?

Are you a troll or did you just forget to say that you were joking? Am I not picking up on sarcasm? :dunno:

·
Florist
20,781 Posts
Are you a troll or did you just forget to say that you were joking? Am I not picking up on sarcasm? :dunno:
Need five characters.

·
Go Vols
1,322 Posts

What good is your gun if it is unchambered? Pardon me mister bad guy while I chamber a round.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Does anyone here carry their Glock with a round in the chamber IWB at 12 to 2 O'clock? For some reason I just can't get comfy with a chambered Glock pointing at any part of my body. It seems to violate the "Never point a loaded gun at anything you don't want to destroy" rule. Seems to violate general muzzle awareness, no? If you do carry this way, how have you become comfortable with it? I know the gun won't fire without the trigger being pulled but it's an odd feeling nonetheless, especially while seated and the muzzle is pointed at the twig and berries, crotch or thigh. Thanks!
I carry chambered in an mtac at 4:30 to 5 o'clock. I do not carry appendix position. I know it will not go off in a holster with the trigger guard covered, finger off the trigger, etc, but I too find it a bit unnerving to have the muzzle pointed at the log and potatoes. Additionally, I have the dunlap disease, so appendix carry would not be comfortable anyhow.

Besides, in the rarest chance it would happen, I would rather have the million dollar wound than the undesired instant sex change operation anyhow. :supergrin: mho!

·
Registered
339 Posts

Just like carrying an unloaded gun is like carrying a paper weight. Don't tell him to not carry with it unloaded because you're not comfortable with it. If you wanna carry your paper weight around go for it. The rest of us who don't agree with this will go on doing it our way. There is no chance of an accident if you get a proper holster and keep your finger off the triger period

·
Boom.
2,032 Posts
A relevant post on this topic from another forum, from an instructor whom I respect who carries a striker fired pistol AIWB:

The G30 isn't exactly small. It's about the same size as a G19, and I know quite a few people who AIWB the G19. In fact, the guy who sort of started the ball rolling on my interest for AIWB has been carrying a G19 that way both over here and over there for quite a while.

But I think it's worth reminding folks that there are inherent dangers related to AIWB, especially for guns with no manual safety and no hammer. Even well trained people make mistakes. Make a mistake holstering your AIWB-carried pistol and if you're lucky you'll only blow your privates to hell. If you're unlucky you will get to experience first hand what a femoral blow-out looks like.

-Always make sure there is nothing obstructing your holster before you put the gun away.
-Always make sure your finger is completely off of and away from the trigger before you put the gun away.
-Tilt the butt inboard as you holster, which should have the effect of pressing the muzzle outward so that if you do inadvertently touch off a round, it might go forward far enough to miss all of your important parts.
-Never be in a hurry to put the gun away. I know there are some legitimate reasons to holster a gun quickly, but they're few, far between, and not worth killing yourself over (literally).
-Practice with a dry gun approximately one million times before you put a loaded gun down the front of your pants.
-If you follow all of the above advice and still blow your dick off or put a round through your leg, sucks to be you. You were warned.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=341989

The real issue in my opinion is holstering. That is the 'dangerous evolution'. I, for better or worse, have not been concerned with blowing myself to hell once my Glock is in the holster, but definitely exercise caution when loading up.

·
Florist
20,781 Posts
Just like carrying an unloaded gun is like carrying a paper weight. If you wanna carry your paper weight around go for it.
Have YOU personally ever carried a paper weight? YES or NO? Simple question requiring a simple "yes" or "no" answer. If "no", then talk is cheap...especially if you've never walked the walk.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts