close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry your children hunting & fishing

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by MKII, Dec 22, 2002.

1. MKII

MKII

I have been carrying my son and daughter fishing since they were 4 years old and they love it and thank me every time we go. And before someone asks yes they both are excellent swimmers. My son recently turned 9 and has expressed interest in going with me win I go shooting and hunting at our family farm. So I have started carrying him. I enjoy the sport more than ever. I see him and the enthusiasm and eagerness to learn. It has given me a different feel or should I resparked my interest for the outdoors entirely. He has learned so much from me at home that I did not realize and his respect for the environment was to say the least impressive since we have been going out learning the basics in safety/marksmanship. We owe our children the opportunity to be exposed to the outdooors and what it has to offer so carry those kids and train them right and be responsible. Don't rely on the neighbor or god forbid someone they don't know. The spirit of the wild is alive and well!!!!!:)

2. Jazz5

Jazz5

Amen MkII! I've been taking my son(now 6) fishing since he could walk! This summer he hooked AND LANDED a 21.5" Largemouth Bass. The smile was priceless and took forever to wear off! I have mounted the fish and am going to present it to him Christmas day.
    He has taken an interest in shooting with me as well. I have some land with a pistol range and he is doing quite well with the .22 pistol. For safety's sake I only load one round at a time and watch him like a hawk for safety violations!
    He has shot my G27 and has no fear of recoil, but the trigger is a bit of a reach for him.
    Now, my youngest son, thats a different story! I can't keep him out of the pond long enough to wet a hook! Got some work to do on that one!
    Keep up the good work and watch out, we will be passing through your neck of the woods this Thursday.

3. MKII

MKII

Good to hear others are having fun in the great outdoors. I have been using my old Ted Williams lever action 22 single shot as a trainer and my son loves it. He is not as fond of my Ithaca 20 gauge single shot due to the recoil but he does request to change up from the rifle to the shotgun occasionally. I carried my Glock the other day and I shot a box thru it to show him how loud it was and the recoil. He started the day shooting the rifle and just kept asking dad will you shoot the pistol I want to see what it is like from a observational standpoint of course. When I run out of shells for the 45 he pulled his hearing muffs off and said "You've got some more don't you" and I told him we needed to start back practicing with the 22 and his first remark was can we bring the MKII Ruger next time for me to shoot. He's hooked and I love it. Be careful in your travels and have a Merry Christmas!!!!!!:)

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I rarely 'ditto' stuff on here, but, 'double Amen', to this!

My kids were raised in ranch country, and have been going out with me hunting and fishing, and even while guiding, all their lives.

Your right! They pay more attention than we realize, and they learn quick. I started my son out, (and daughter), in their woodsmanship, when about 4 years old. I would take him on the three wheeler deep into the ranch, and then park it behind a cedar or such, and then tell him we are going for a real long hike, so pay attention. We would zig zag around, and go in circles, and cover tons of ground. I would point out to him certain things along the way, perhaps a twisted tree, or a strange looking rock, etc, different 'land marks,' and when we were 30 minutes or so into the outback, i would say,"son, get us back to the 3 wheeler!" He never failed to do so, and quite well in fact.

Then came the gun, bow, traning, and the 'reading game movements, and sign,' training, etc.. same with fishing, and even night time treks in the canyons and hills... now, they are adults, and 'put me to shame', from shooting, to hunting. :) or, :( Not sure yet!

Get those kids out there dad/mom....... they will learn alot about God's creation, if you teach them right, and learn alot in general, about being good kids!

Good thread.. Glad someone did this one!

CanyonMan