Carry with a Tac Light

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by thegriz18, Jan 25, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Does anyone carry with a TLR or Surefire or whatever on their pistol? I don't see the practical purpose for it in a CC mode. Just curious.

2. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

When I go out at night, I put my TLR-1 in my pocket. I can use it as a normal flashlight when needed, but it can attach to the glock if the need ever arose.

Sometimes I carry my Surefire G2 w/ upgraded LED instead.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010

3. Dr. Combustion

Dr. Combustion

I often use my GTL-10 on my G23 or the Surfire on my XD9 subcompact. I have a holster for both guns with the lights, and I find the gun/light combo very beneficial on the bed post or when I travel or when I am jogging at night.

4. dosei

dosei

I prefer to just carry a handheld light. Number of times I've used the flashlight...I've lost count because it gets used a few times every day. Number of times I've needed the gun...still at zero.

5. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

For the folks who carry a flashlight every day (and use it).... I have a silly question. You say you use it several times a day. For WHAT?? I'm not doubting or questioning the concept. But, I can't recall ever being in a situation during my regular day where I thought, "damn... wish I had a flashlight." Please "illuminate" me on this topic! :)

6. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

I use it to find things that I, or others, have dropped at night.
    In the rare cases that I am crossing an unlighted street I will turn it on and use it as a warning light if cars are coming.
    Some areas I go are very dark, and a flashlight makes walking significantly easier (at night)

7. Gombu

Gombu

I like to carry a small 1 AA cell Fenix. I find I have more need to carry a flashlight vs carrying a gun, but I still carry both.

8. dosei

dosei

Picking up after the dog (City Ordnance)

Avoid stepping into what some other dog owner DIDN'T pick up.

Inspecting tooling (I work at a place that designs & builds plastic injection molds and frequently need to examine a tool in a press, on a machine, or opened up on the floor...often looking into areas that are difficult to see and a good flashlight is a must. Normal flashlights are generally not bright enough to be of any use. Everyone always wants my flashlight, the boss is constantly borrowing it.)

Working on computers (Jacking around with a computer that is having problems often means checking connections on the back of it or inside the case and a light is often handy. Comes in real handy when checking for "popped caps" on a motherboard.)

Charging/barking dog deterrent (I've found that a blast from a powerful flashlight is one of the best ways to stop a charging dog or quiet a barking one. And I have never had an owner get upset for me using it on their dog.)

It's kind of like having a cell phone. I have one, and it gets used. But not a single time has it ever been absolutely necessary, just convenient and very handy. All the times I've used the light, I suppose I could have gotten along without it...but it sure was handy to have it so I could use it, it made doing what I needed to do easier.

9. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

The effect on a dog is interesting. :)

Funny... as a dentist... in social situations, I sometimes get asked to "look at this" (as they hook their index finger in their mouth to pull their cheek back). Just glad I'm not a proctologist! :shocked: :eric:

But, it's funny because they seem to think I can just glance in their darkened mouth and make a diagnosis. Maybe I should carry a flashlight for THAT! :whistling:

10. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

I don't like lights on the gun, but I do carry a light with me most of the time that I can access if needed.

11. dosei

dosei

I have never had one with a strobe feature, I suspect it would be ideal for use as a "dog dazer".

If you get a really, REALLY powerful light, I suppose you could use it as an impromptu poor-man's x-ray device...for looking at those teeth.
    :supergrin:

12. madcitycop

madcitycop

When I'm carrying my G22 it has my procyon on it.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

None of my carry guns have lights on them.

But I am buying a Taurus 1911 with a rail. Hadn't really thought about "carrying" it, but I might put a light on it, and do some farm patrol with it (against coyotes).

14. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Because, with very rare exceptions, there's not one. Better suited for police and dedicated home defense guns.

15. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Had the exact same problem with ladies when I was a dental student and thereafter, I used to make the same joke about gynecologists, which made everyone laugh.

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sometimes, but not very often. I have a Streamlight TLR-1 plus a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom LC for my G19.

I need more practice with it, though. Using it at the range I often turn the light on or off under recoil. I practiced a bit with drawing, clearing areas, turning the light on and off, etc at home but live fire changes things up a bit.

If it was more comfortable I would carry it more often anyway, just to have the extra option but, well, a compact Glock with a light attached takes up a fair bit of volume inside your pants.

There is no escaping the fact that the vast majority of self defense situations/shootings happen in low/no light situations. If you never activate the light or act as if it is not there what harm was done by having it? However, you may find yourself in a situation where it is helpful.

Flashlights are EXTREMELY handy. For me they are right up there with having a pocket knife.

It is one of those things that, once you go for awhile with one immediately on hand, you realize how often they come in handy. And every once in awhile they REALLY come in handy. My EDC includes a pocket light (2xCR123) and a keychain light (1xCR123). I almost never need or use the one on my keychain but consider it as a backup. I also have a nice rechargeable plugged in and mounted to the interior of my vehicle.

I am literally never without a flashlight. An airport/airplane/courthouse is the only time I am without a pocket knife and pepper spray. The above plus a college campus in the state of GA (or sometimes the gym) is the only time I am without a firearm.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  17. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

If there was one person I know who LOVES additional gear, it is myself.

However, I personally don't feel the need to carry my firearm with a mounted light. I DO however always have a bright handheld one in my pocket.

I use it for for a lot of various things at work. I also use it for my walks/jogs after dark. It comes in very handy in a dark parking lot and/or parking garage if I do not have the opportunity to park near a fixed light. I believe if need be, it would also be useful to temporarily blind somebody and give me a change to either run away or draw my firearm if completely necessary.

I am sure there are about 1000 other things I have used it for that I forgot to mention. YMMV.

18. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Plus I hear that a bright light directly in the eyes along with a firm verbal command can accomplish quite a bit.

19. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Very good point! I can see what kind of effect that would have on me personally. I also think you are right that it would be enough to stop most would be criminals from continuing their actions.

20. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Warp if you don't mind me asking what CR123 keychain light do you use? I seen the 4Sevens version and it definately looks interesting.

Back to the OP question. Reading thru the thread you can see that having an EDC light is very handy. The problems that your going to have with a weapon light on your CCW piece is your going to lose you light in peacetime. If you need to look under your car, or in a dark closet at work, you going to either pull your weapon, or pretend you are not carrying a light. Using a high intensity EDC light also makes for a good non-lethal deterent, so you don't have to pull your gun unless you have too and weapon lights are not as bright as some flashlights. Also its hard to find CC holster for compact gun with a weapon light, and your going to add increase bulk and weight.