Carry setup (for right hand draw) when you have problems with belts and upper left side.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by techiej, Oct 5, 2019.

1. techiej

techiej

Due to medical problems (GI) I can no longer wear a tight fitting belt and find it very uncomfortable to have anything over my upper left side (pacemaker).

I've tried suspenders and even with padding can't use them for very long due to irritation on my left side...and that's without even trying to add a holster.

Don't want to pocket carry or use a vest.

Am right handed and was wondering if anyone has found a comfortable way to carry (assuming a chest holster for my situation) that avoids putting anything on my upper left side.

Want to be able to carry either a full size Glock or a full size 1911.

Thanks in advance!

2. fredj338

fredj338

With that many restriction, what you want to do may just not be possible. Full size guns are not comfy to carry. You cant do a shoulder rig, maybeva chest rig, but you cant conceal thar very well. Maybe a belly band & snaller gun?

glock1097 likes this.

3. techiej

techiej

Not too worried about concealment.

Was hoping that someone had some recommendations for a chest rig that may work.

4. Solid98

Solid98

5. unit1069

unit1069

A few months ago Mas Ayoob replied to a GT member's question about belly bands and recommended Gould & Goodrich. Since I was planning an extended trip to the canyonlands out West and intended to hike some strenuous trails I looked the company up on the Internet and it struck an instinctive chord for me. I ordered one and it exceeded my expectations. The best part is that they're not expensive

Unlike a belt it flexes with the body's movements and is extremely comfortable and can be used for more than just carrying a handgun. The one I ordered is about 4" wide and has about a half-dozen compartments, some suitable for a pistol, some suitable for extra magazines, pepper spray, a flashlight, etc ...

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/best-belly-bands.1779284/#post-27490050

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  6. unit1069

unit1069

7. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

How recent was your pacemaker put in? I have one, and have no issues with suspenders or a shoulder holster. As much as I do love my 1911's, they do get heavy. I wore mine in a shoulder holster a couple nights in a row, tending bar, and I had one hell of an upper backache.

8. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

What about a single strap bag that you carry on your chest? Not long ago there was a thread that showed a lot of options.

9. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

10. techiej

techiej

I've had zappy almost 4 years now. It's the movement against the PM (actually the wires/terminals at the top) that become very uncomfortable, very quickly even with just suspenders and no additional weight from the holster (belt or shoulder).

11. techiej

techiej

that would probably be my last option

12. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

13. techiej

techiej

14. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

I have had one for quite some time. The pouch stays in front and the elastic fits over your hips and stays low. You can even re-purpose the snake-skin one in case you wanna moonlight as an exotic male dancer!!!:D

techiej likes this.
  15. dubito

dubito

I have four bellybands of various brands, and I like them. I tend to carry primary snubbie revolvers in them, although the Crossbreed modular bellyband incorporates a hard-sided holster that is suitable for carrying autos.

16. collim1

collim1

With those restrictions I’d seriously be considering a five shot revolver.

17. 1919X

1919X

Not sure the location of your pacemaker, but with the most common location you should be able to wear a Kangaroo Carry Air Marshall 3. I use one nearly every day and they are very comfortable and the strap over your shoulder can be adjusted quite a bit to dodge the pacemaker. Take a look at the website and see.

Sent from my iPad using Glock Talk

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'd like to be able to eat cheeseburgers for every meal and not gain weight, but sometimes you have to compromise with reality. A full-size Glock or 1911 requires either a belt or a shoulder holster. I'd carry a smaller gun in a pocket, if I was you. Maybe a vest pocket in summer.

As it is, I have no medical problems that interfere with carrying any way I want, but I still don't need a bigger carry gun than a Glock 43.

collim1 likes this.
  19. techiej

techiej

Thanks - I'll look into it.

1919X likes this.