Carry Question

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by cougar_guy04, Jul 2, 2007.

1. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04 Guest

Hey guys, I had a question and figured this would be the good place to start since I've gotten good info from here before.

I've got an IN carry permit since I live/work/go to school in Terre Haute, but my Driver's License is still an Illinois DL. The family is going to Kentucky to visit my grandmother at her new place and I was planning on carrying while down there. Would having the IL DL and IN LTCH cause a problem (during a traffic stop for instance)? I figure a call to the KSP before I leave is in order, but I wanted to check here first. I figure if it would be too much of a hassle (or not on the up and up) to carry, the 45 will still go but just not carried.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I tend to get neurotic and worry about stuff like this.

2. IPDBrad

IPDBrad Guest

Since you live/work/school in Indiana, and by stating you have a residence in Indiana when applying for an IN License to Carry, you may want to get your Indiana DL.

Law requires you to obtain an Indiana DL, as opposed to keeping your out of state DL, after establishing residency. I think you have 180 days to do so.

3. notasccrmom

notasccrmom Guest

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing since I am in the same boat as you.

4. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

I would think the answer to the question would be does KY allow for non-resident permit. By having an IN LTCH and an IL DL it might be thought of as a non-resident LTCH, IMHO.

5. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

If you were really worried, you would have obtained an Indiana DL when you moved here.:supergrin:

6. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04 Guest

Well, I don't know if I'd call it moving in the sense that I normally think about it. I just haven't spent more than a weekend or christmas/spring break at home in Illinois since 2005. Sept. to May I live on campus, then summer of '06 (and the rest of this summer) I lived in an apartment that my uncle renovated above his business.

So where do I apply for my DL for the State of Confusion, because I think I'm closer to there than anywhere else.

7. Berretta9

Berretta9

Ky does require you to be a resident to get a CCDW permit here. You have to have a Ky drivers license and be able to show 6 months residency. Tax returns or something like them. We do honor Indiana permits but you may have some explaining to do if your DL doesn't match the address on your cary permit. I'm guessing it would not be a pleasant experience.

8. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Berretta9

CCDW?

What does the D stand for?

9. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

Deadly.

Concealed carry of a deadly weapon.

10. IPDBrad

IPDBrad Guest

What address did you use for your License to Carry Handgun?

You also need to notify the ISP of address changes to our LCH.

I suppose you would go to the State of Confusion's BMV.

11. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

So.... What weapon is not deadly. If I carry rocks in my pocket would I need a CCDW? At least one giant found out rocks were deadly. :animlol:

12. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04 Guest

My school address. When I talked with the lady working the desk at the THPD, it didn't seem to be a problem (I showed her my IL DL/FOID card, my employment records, and my cable bills from school).

I assume it would be best to contact the ISP and have the address changed to my Illinois one? I'm feeling like quite the maroon now.:sad:

ETA: Just went to the ISP website and found this:
    My name or address has changed. Do I have to pay for a duplicate license?
    No. Complete the “Duplicate Handgun License Request and Notification of Name or
    Address Change Form” and mail or fax the form to the firearms section. Check that you
    are notifying the section of your information change only. The change will be made in
    the firearms database and there is no fee for this service. If you want a license issued
    with the changes on it, then yes, the $20 fee for the duplicate license does apply.

Where do I go to get that form? I've been looking around and don't see it on their website. Do I need to go to the PD to fill this one out? How long is the turnaround usually?

EDIT #2: Found it and filled it out. Gonna send it in when I get off of work.

13. Berretta9

Berretta9

They have a list of things. The obvious ones but, it also includes death stars ( not sure if thats the Starwars kind or some sort of martial arts thing) and other stuff that most people never heard of. It is perfectly legal to carry rocks in your pocket. Politians have been carrying them in their heads for years.

14. Berretta9

Berretta9

So in Indiana you can get a permit to carry a concealed handgun without being a resident of Indiana ??

15. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04 Guest

As long as you are employed in Indiana

16. Berretta9

Berretta9

Didn't know that. In Indiana who teached the class for carry pemits ?
    Is it done by some sort of state oficial or other person ? Down here just about every gun range teaches it as well as several hunderd others.

17. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

"Taught"! Don't make me go fetch the Grammar Police!:supergrin:

No training classes are required for an Indiana License to Carry a Handgun.

There is no concealment requirement under Indiana's LTCH statute.

18. Berretta9

Berretta9

I should have proof read that last post. I ment to say teaches. I know I live in Kentucky but I do know that "teached" is not a word. I just can't type.

19. Berretta9

Berretta9

Here you spend 8 hours in class. The worst of it is a two hour video where a couple of state lawyers read the laws to you on use of force. You do have to qualify at 7 yards. The target is so big a blind man could pass it if you pointed him in the right direction.

20. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

While I do like the KY glove compartment provision, Indiana has no training requirements. Indiana has prohibitions on local anti-gun ordinances trumping State law. We can carry in bars. Both are pretty firearm friendly with minor quirks, and if we could take the best of both states we would have a pretty great system.