close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CARRY PPS vs EMP 9

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by dakas, Feb 25, 2010.

1. dakas

dakas

I have been carrying my PPS 9 for a while now and in the K&D holster it looks and feels invisible...however I do carry a chambered round. It is a bit of a worry,
    I have been looking at the Springfield EMP 9 (grip safety) but unfortunately they are very hard to find. I want to make a comparison.
    Are you familar with both, and is the EMP going to feel a lot bigger and heavier?

2. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

The EMP will, most likely, feel heavier and bigger yes.

For as small as it it...it's still a big pistol...if that makes any sense.

However, MY opinion is that the PPS is a hefty little firearm in it's own right, for being as small as it is.

Also, if you have a good holster that covers the trigger and trigger guard, don't be concerned about carrying chambered.

To put your mind at ease... carry your PPS, unloaded (around the house, yard, etc) but with the action "cocked". Examine the pistol after several days of doing this and see if the trigger has magically been pulled.

-J-

3. dakas

dakas

Thanks....I guess I'm just feeling a bit paranoid.
    Reason is that it woun't fire itself...and is very secure in the holster with the complete trigger covered. Just have to be EXTRA careful...if there is such a thing.
    I really like the PPS, best carry weapon I've had so far....

4. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

If you like your PPS...

If that's the case, then unless you just really wanted one and had the $1000 to spend, why buy the EMP?

The EMP is indeed a fantastic firearm, but about the only thing in common with the PPS is that it's single-stack.

5. Mercedesrover

Mercedesrover

Keep doing what you're doing. I have the same PPS in a K&D holster and it's my favorite carry combo. I always carry one in the chamber.....always. That's the way they were designed to be carried.

6. dakas

dakas

WELL
    True it is a great setup...if only Walther in their infinite wisdom could have incoroprated a grip safety....it would be the ultimate...
    I still cant't find an EMP to look at...

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

you can look at mine :supergrin:

[​IMG]

i was going to go with the PPS, but decided that i liked the EMP more. i guess it was my moving away from polymer guns.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  8. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

I have shot the EMP, and own a PPS 9mm. The EMP is a fine gun indeed, lovely to shoot.
    As for carry, it's a brick compared to the Walther, I have found nothing of quality that carries as well as a PPS.

9. dakas

dakas

Ok,
    New idea...Just came from a gun show here in FLL how about the XD 9 compact?
    Reasonably priced, but a double stack, so a bit bulky...
    Still considering the EMT but none available to see !!

10. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Judging by your post count, you're relatively new to this. This is not a slam against you. Rather, many people (myself included) felt apprehensive about carrying with one in the chamber at first. I can not emphasize enough that over time, and with repeated practice in trigger discipline and a quality holster, this fear will pass.

That said, if getting something with a grip safety will put your mind at ease and make it so that you are more comfortable carrying, then so be it. The XD Sub is a great gun. A little bulkier than what you're currently used to, but a lot smaller, less expensive, and lighter than the EMP. See if you can rent one at a local range to see how you shoot it before dropping the coin on it. Hope this all helps.

11. garand4life

garand4life

For about the first year I had a striker fired gun I could not bring myself to carry chambered. I finally got comfortable with it and now I do it as habit. It takes a little getting past the nerves.

12. bhvrdr

bhvrdr

I had a PPS and I do have an EMP 9mm. The PPS will conceal better and is lighter. The trigger pull on the PPS may as well be a double action in my opinion so as long as you'd be comfortable carrying a revolver in a holster I wouldnt sweat a PPS. On the other end of the spectrum my M&P 9mm Pro Series has a trigger that breaks at only 4 lbs and I feel comfortable with that as well in a holster. Nothing is going to get to that trigger in a GOOD holster. That is the key. It should be a properly fitting holster. Never carry any firearm cowboy style without a holster (in the waistband with no holster). I assume you're not doing this though.

One thing I can say though is that my PPS was never reliable enough to be a carry weapon. Make sure you have lots of rounds through yours to see that it is appropriate for this use. In order for a firearm to be trusted for me to carry I expect zero rectifiable failures in 500 rounds and zero catastrophic (non rectifiable in the field) failures in one thousand rounds before I'll even consider to carry it. I also find the combat accuracy of the PPS lacking compared to the EMP. Although that is personal preference as to what a person will carry as far as concealment (size) versus accuracy. That's something you can check on for yourself as well. Either way, good luck with it and enjoy.

cheers! mike

13. Dot_mdb

Dot_mdb

Grip safeties are a relic left over from the cavalry days. If you familiarize yourself with the safeties that are built into modern weapons you will have less concern with carrying with a round in the chamber. The most important thing is to learn to control your trigger finger and carry in a decent holster.

Bill

14. mesteve2

mesteve2

PPS = a smith & wesson auto = S&W makes the finest Revolvers :tongueout::tongueout:

PPS = NO!

:tongueout:

Buy a quality gun.

I was going to get a pps and looked and held it and went with a Glock 38 for less money with TFO night sights and 3 mags instead of the mag that came with a pps.

PPS = mistake! :wow:

15. Mercedesrover

Mercedesrover

Really? I've had mine for a year and a half and have put over 2000 flawless rounds through it. It eats anything I feed it and never misses a beat and is by far the most comfortable gun I carry. It's the single-stack 9mm that Glock should have built.

And back to the OP, the EMP is a very nice gun but it's a 1911 action. If you're worried about carrying the PPS with one in the pipe, how would you carry the EMP? If you're nervous about carrying one in the pipe I would think you'd be equally nervous carry a 1911 cocked and locked.

16. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

Im highly considering getting a PPS for light/summer carry. Seems to be what I want besides the mag release(just takes training) and $50 per spare mag.

17. cash

cash

My n=1 on PPS.

A good friend got one. Her first gun. A liberal Obama lover who is seeing the light.

She got a PPS, because it was small, svelte and chic. The slide lock spring broke at the range after about 50 rounds. Walther/SW sent out a new spring, no problem.

Second trip to the range ... slide locks back on the 7th round fired, and will not budge. It is stuck tight. We were shooting at the range where she bought the gun. She shows the salesman the gun. And he straight away says he would not carry the PPS, and she needs to get a new gun.

She gets full credit from the PPS on a G19, which now has a few hundred rounds though it with no hiccups whatsoever (of course).

My story. N=1.

18. dosei

dosei

A grip safety, combined with proper thumb placement when holstering, can be a handy thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kgdVivQtM8

BUT...a grip safety is NOT really necessary. And if you switch to something like the EMP, you have another potential problem to deal with...the thumb safety. So many of the current holster makers have never bothered to learn from the "greats" in the holster making business. They just start making holsters, usually starting out making holsters for Glocks and then adding other guns. As a result, they often give absolutely no thought at all to the thumb safety. Instead of paying attention and molding the holster to hold the safety in the "On" position, they just ignore it. Since holsters like the M-TAC, Answer, Supertuck, etc. are not properly molded/fitted/boned on the leather side...nothing holds the safety on. None of them even bother to cut the leather so it makes a space for the safety, angling it to match the safety in the on position. Kydex & leather holster that are molded/fitted to the gun are often molded to a "blue gun" that has the safety in the "Off" position...VERY BAD!!! Once upon a time...there were a small number of holster makers that knew how to make a proper holster for handguns with manual safeties. Today, holster makers with that knowledge are very hard to find.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  19. bhvrdr

bhvrdr

On the PPS, my trigger locked back and failed to reset. The gun failed to go into battery about 50% of the time and I had numerous failure to feeds.

cheers! mike

20. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

I just recently shot both.

The EMP is a dream to shoot. Low recoil, superb trigger.
    The PPS was nice. Recoil wasn't too bad, trigger was 'ok.'

EMP is more ergonomic, just fits the hand like a glove imho. The mag release on the PPS is annoying if you aren't used to the paddle at the trigger guard.

PPS felt smaller in all dimensions. The EMP (not looking at the stats) seems more like a size between a G26 and G19, but slimmer -- and not as slim as the PPS. Swapping out the ambi safety on the EMP would make it feel a tad slimmer (not much). Getting the VZ slim grips might also help (but I haven't tried them).

The PPS is lighter. Can't make the EMP lighter, but a high quality holster and belt would help how it feels when you carry it.

EMP ate HP like a champ (speer, federal, and 4 other brands), but it did not like Cor-bon. I didn't try HP in the PPS.

Did I mention that the EMP was a dream to shoot and had an excellent trigger? Zero creep, totally crisp, and a great weight to the pull (not heavy, not too light). If both were on the nightstand and I had to grab just one, it'd be the EMP hands down. As to carry I have no opinion because I didn't carry either, just shot them at the range.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010