Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I’m new to carry.

I’m trying to carry IWB in the 4 o’clock position, maybe sometimes at 4:30/5 o’clock position.

If I’m sitting on my conceal carry handgun, do I have it in the wrong position for carrying?

Also - will sitting on the handgun damage it in any way or adjust its accuracy? Adjusting it’s accuracy as in front sight moving or slide and frame alignment.

·
Registered
37,566 Posts

I’m trying to carry IWB in the 3-4 o’clock position.

If I’m sitting on my conceal carry handgun, do I have it in the wrong position for carrying?

Also - will sitting on the handgun damage it in any way or adjust its accuracy?
Well depends on what you are sitting on, but at 3:00, you arent sitting on the gun, Maybe at 4:00, deep seat like a bucket car seat. No it isnt hurting the gun, just damn uncomfy. I carry at 3:30, sitting is fine but for long hours in a car. Many will have a cross draw car holster for those long trips. Cross draw is the most compfortable for sitting but concealement is poor. You could always shoulder holster, but that has issues too.

·
Photojournalist
547 Posts
Ok...I'll be the first to say it....pull your pants up and get a good gun belt! :eek:uttahere:

Seriously, I've been carrying for longer than I can remember and have never sat on my gun unless I was carrying a bug in my back pocket. Something is not right or something.

Tell us more or show pics...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah I think I might have been carrying it closer to 4:30-5 o’clock to try and conceal it better and was definitely sitting on the barrel on it at one time. Not a long period of time but yeah.

* Didn’t know if sights would get out of alignment or if it’s possible for the barrel and frame alignment to get off cuz of sitting on it?

·
rip "Bud"
10,907 Posts
I wear suspenders and haven't worn a belt since the 80/s.
I pack IWB from 3:30 to 4:30 with a side clip on a half dozen firearms equipped with Clipdraw. I have bucket and bench seats in my vehicles and never an issue of comfort.

I no longer carry hand cannons! My G29 goes in a tiny Bug out bag..(belly bag) either on the seat or slung over a shoulder.

My 99.9% carry is front pocket and or IWB with pocketable hand guns. Revolver or Pistol. I can adjust my suspenders to pack the extra weight where ever I pack. Since I'm sort of ambidextrous I can reverse the whole shebang and no issues even with seat belts.

·
Registered
37,566 Posts
Yeah I think I might have been carrying it closer to 4:30-5 o’clock to try and conceal it better and was definitely sitting on the barrel of it at one time. Not a long periods of time but yeah. Didn’t know if sights would get out of alignment or if it’s pissibke for the barrel and frame alignment to get off cuz of a situation like this.
Yeah big diff between 3:00-3:30 & 4:30-5:00. At 3:00, front of your slide is right at your hip bone or along the seam of your pants. That is how 99% of competition shooters carry. Why my iwb rides at 3:30, hides even my 1911pd commander hides under an untucked polo. Body shape has a lot to do with it. If your shoulders are bigger than your waste by a good amount, should be fine 3:30-4:00 for most.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok yah I can help clarify.

To help conceal I’ve felt I should put the gun further toward my backside, or right butt cheek. So basically the muzzle is facing downward and the slide is on / in the middle of my right butt cheek.

Is this too far rearward for a carry position?

And the lastly - I haven’t sat down on it for long at all but I can’t imagine any misalignment of front sight or loss of accuracy could occur mainly cuz you see people on YouTube run over their guns with trucks and they still shoot find.

Am I correct in my train of thought?

·
Registered
11,422 Posts

I’m trying to carry IWB in the 4 o’clock position, maybe sometimes at 4:30/5 o’clock position.

Also - will sitting on the handgun damage it in any way or adjust its accuracy? Adjusting it’s accuracy as in front sight moving or slide and frame alignment.
This is one time a relative nobody like me has some expertise, as I regularly sit for hours/hundreds of miles per day in various vehicles crisscrossing the USA.

I like a "sticky" IWB holster that either fits comfortably appendix style or can be wedged between the driver's seat and console. And it's not difficult in the least to cover the IWB gun or to position the rig from the wedged method prior to exiting a vehicle, especially this time of the year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Everyone is different with their body types, different guns, different holsters. You will probably get many answers.

For me, AIWB is most comfortable to carry while driving. If possible and/or legal you could unholster the gun while driving, then re-holster exiting the vehicle. But you shouldn’t have as much of a problem carry at 3:00-3:30.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,965 Posts

Just do like Mom said and "Stop slouching and sit up straight."

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Somewhere between 12:30 and 3:00. Keep your booger picker off the trigger and be vigilant about keeping your hoodie drawstring out of the holster. I’d personally avoid any system that required me to deholster/reholster everytime I got out of the car. That’s a lot of opportunities for other folks to see your pistol or for an AD.

Upon re-reading OP’s question, no, you’re not going to damage your Glock by sitting on it. You’re more likely going to damage your butt bones.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Upon re-reading OP’s question, no, you’re not going to damage your Glock by sitting on it. You’re more likely going to damage your butt bones.
Thank you. This was the main question I was looking for answers on. Thank you for directly answering this part of the post.

And haha! Yes for sure, I’ll start carrying in the right position now.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I got the $35 holster from the Glock Store. Its a OWB clip holster. Strong-side while I am out walking. I get into the car and I change it over to cross-draw for the drive home.

Glock 19 Gen 3 of course.

Reactions: 007_Bond

·
Registered
33,217 Posts

I doubt you'll hurt a Glock like that.

I don't like a gun behind me out of my sight. Depends on what one does during a day, but I seem to notice more printing by others when they carry at 4 to 5. Maybe because they can't see the gun, they think others can't :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.