close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry on bags and people who should check

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Aug 16, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Look, I'm a gentleman so I'll pitch in but if you're a woman or elderly person who KNOWS you can manage to lift your bag above your head, shouldn't you just check it?

You KNOW going in that you're going to cause boarding congestion and be completely dependent on the kindness of strangers to stow your bag.

Should the airlines make you perform a feat of strength when checking in with a carryon?

FWIW, this is a SWA flight. Bag check is free.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. 2bgop

2bgop

I almost always gate check my carrying on bag. I have no idea why more people don't do it.

3. boozer

boozer

I would have no problem helping someone stow a bag in the overhead.

I just wish airlines would enforce the size restrictions on bags. It is amazing the bags some people try to stow in overheads. Twice the size of the templates.

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

why you hating on granny?

Seriously, there is a wide spectrum of folks who travel.

- travel warriors
    - folks traveling for the 1st time
    - folks too cheap to check a bag, and too cheap to realize they are leveraging their life by demanding the lowest possible fares on a low budget carrier
    - and everyone else in between

You just have to be smarter/wiser than everyone else. In this instance I would recommend you fly on an airline that recognizes you as a valued customer, so you get on when you want, have lots of space to store stuff, and get off before the general stampede.

- G

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If you're able bodied and you can't help a person put a bag into the upper storage bin; be that person old, short, disabled, then that's just sad.

6. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

Wait... you flew with Southwest???

-Pirate

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

Is that you Paul Ryan?

8. 2bgop

2bgop

I like them as well as any other. They are treat you like crap.

9. certifiedfunds

Where'd I say I can't or won't assist?

I'm talking about personal responsibility for oneself when fully aware you can't handle your bag but you carry on anyway betting someone else will handle it for you.

Check it

10. certifiedfunds

For my short regional travel SWA is just too convenient.

11. certifiedfunds

Almost every week. Why?

12. dbcooper

dbcooper

Isn't putting it up in the bin the job of the flamingly homosexual flight attendant?

Remember when they were called stewardesses, and they were all young, and hot, and open to the idea of a few drinks after landing.

13. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Actually, most airlines expressly forbid their FAs from lifting bags...too many injuries. If they do, it's becuase of kindness and/or wanting to get their flight on its way.

14. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I like the guy (and I see him everywhere) that is last to board, so he has to put his carry on in the bin ten rows behind his seat.

When the plane lands, he stands up instantly (along with everyone else) and yells back and expects someone to pull out his bag and have everyone else pass it, over their heads, up to him.

(If yelling back doesn't work, he expects the log jam of people to move out of his way as he elbows his way towards the back to retrieve it. (and sometimes expects them to move again as he works his way forward to his original spot.))

He's my hero.

15. Bruce M

Bruce M

I talked with a flight attendant on SWA once and she suggested that if the airline would prohibit all carry ons it would greatly reduce time to get on and off the plane and reduce problems for them. Not suggesting that is really feasible but still something to think about.

I also remember one attendant who refused to help a passenger with her bag but when asked said that since it was one of the emergency exit seats anyone who could not lift their own bag shouldn't sit in one of those seats. I couldn't fault that once he explained that to her.

I would gladly help someone but I concur that it probably would be better if they cannot lift it to check it. I am also a bit skeptical of people who seem to need wheelchair assistance to get on the plane (first) but seem to have a miraculous cure while in flight.

16. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

the whole carrying on bags that should be checked because of the ridiculous charges pisses me off! I get mad at the folks that do it but it really is the airlines that are to blame. When will they get it?:dunno:

17. certifiedfunds

Some of the wheel chair assistance folks are scamming. Need assistance on but miraculously deplane just fine rather than waiting to be last.

I've often considered buying an inflatable leg cast to get pre board access.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

If I were fortunate enough to be the one directly under his bag I could very easily be convinced to pass it... all the way to the back of the plane. Which of course would not be especially friendly, but probably would still feel enjoyable.

19. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I have no problem helping someone who is elderly, disabled, or just short/lightly built heft a reasonably-sized, normal-weight bag into the overhead. It's both a long reach and an awkward motion if you don't have a goodly amount of upper-body strength.

I am MUCH less likely to offer to help someone with a giant bag, a crazy-heavy bag, an oddly-shaped bag, or who simply can't be bothered to handle their own stuff. Check it.

20. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

I really dislike air travel for SO many reasons.