close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry Issues at GA Airports?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PilotKitten, Jan 23, 2005.

1. PilotKitten

PilotKitten Mrs. MrMurphy

I attended the Aviaton Conference in Lansing this past weekend and the subject came up in a TSA seminar I was in.

Some lady that manages an FBO/GA airport brought up that she saw a pilot that was "obviously" carrying and wanted to know if she had the right to "ask why he felt it necessary to carry". ;Q Anyway....

The real question was if she could post the required signs prohibiting concealed carry if she received funds from the government?

TSA had no clue.

I guess she's referring to some of the laws that prohibit federally-funded GA airports from restricting access to certain people and whatnot.

I would *think* that it wouldn't apply.

Anyone have any idea? I'm just rather curious about it.

2. c6601a

c6601a

You may want to try the AOPA. They will most probably not know the answer, but they will be able to direct you to the exact language of the contract that the airports sign to accept the money and you can read from there. It will require a bit of research and some time.

On a related and more important note: What was the TSA's attitude about this question? Was the answer a simple "We don't know" followed immidiately by "Next question please" or did they give you some sense of their position on the issue of guns in GA terminals/FBO and GA airplanes?

3. PilotKitten

PilotKitten Mrs. MrMurphy

They said I don't know and then that it probably was determined by the state's CCW laws.

I don't think they were "against" CCW at GA airports like they obviously are at commercial airports.

There wasn't a "next question please"...we spent some time discussing it. Another guy talked about carrying when he flys into an area up north that he's not familiar with and that one lady asked "Why? To shoot the bears and wildlife?"

AND SHE WAS SERIOUS!! ;Q

As far as the TSA is concerned though...you ARE allowed to carry in your private aircraft. It didn't seem like they were interested in prohibiting it at FBOs and airports though.

Seemed more interested in promoting their new 800 number for GA airports...if anything looks suspicious or out of the ordinary....

4. Guest

Hey screw the local FBO.........the FAR/AIM manual in the FAR section toward the back states that the PIC determines if someone can carry a gun on board.

I don't have a FAR/AIM in front of me to look up the section, but you can easily find it in the glossary. Read for yourself.

As far as CCW,,,,that's up to the state laws weather your inside the plane or outside the plane. ...And I'm talking about GA, not commercial airlines etc...