close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Carry into Office" Question

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by NavyFan, Feb 8, 2010.

1. NavyFan

NavyFan

I work in a office building in Ohio that does not have a NO CARRY sign posted. There is a bank in the lobby of the building that DOES have the sign posted on their entrance, but the office and bank entry points are not the same. Now, here is the monkey wrench: Our building has 10 floors and on one of them is located the local FBI office. My office is on a floor 5 floors away. With no sign posted, and private businesses on all the floors except part of the floor the FBI is on, what would be the rules? It's not a government office building, but the FBI is on one of the floors!

Any opinions, guys?

2. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

I can't speak for the laws in OH. In NC, as long as you didn't enter the actual offices of the FBI, or the actual bank*, you'd be fine.

I strongly suggest you look at the specifics of OH law, specifically with regard to how they define federal offices.

* - In NC, you can enter the bank, but you'd have to switch from conceal carry to open carry while doing so.

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

In FL you would be fine everywhere in the building for CC other then maybe the FBI office but that one could be interesting.

Is the FBI office as you described federal property? I am sure they are just leasing a suite in the building which I would think legally is a lot different then a federal office building on federally owned land. If they leased a conference room at a hotel for a meeting would that become federal property negating state concealed carry? I am not sure I would want to be the test case but would be an interesting case to watch from the sidelines.

4. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

Unless there is some state law specific to your location, you have no issues. The sign for the bank only applies to bank property, not the rest of the building. The federal restriction only applies to space which the FBI actually leases. Again, not the entire building. As long as you don't enter those two areas (and, again, assuming you don't have some strange state law I'm not aware of), they are both a non-issue.
    Gonzo

5. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

No, there is no difference. Property formally leased by the federal government is considered to be federal property. Very few buildings are actually owned by the federal government anymore. Most property (Social Security offices; IRS offices; etc) is leased. But the law applies just the same. Generally, a conference room in a hotel would not be "leased". It would be rented on a short-term basis.
    Gonzo

6. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

Contact a local lawyer or someone who is familiar with the laws in your area.

7. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

What policy does your employer have on firearms at work? Other than that I think you are just fine.

8. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

First, check your employee handbook. If it says you can be fired for carrying at work, it doesn't matter what signs are posted.

After you've confirmed you are allowed to carry at work, speak to a lawyer (even if it costs you ~$50). Depending on how your state defines "premisis", that entire building may be considered a bank and/or and FBI office. That's not likely, but it's possible, and guessing at things like that isn't wise.

9. NavyFan

NavyFan

I have no problems carrying into the office, but I don't want to get in any kind of trouble with the FBI. I asked the building manager why they don't have a no carry sign on the entrances of the building and he told me they never thought of it....but the FBI moved in relatively recently.

I could ask one of the FBI guys, but I'd probably be visited rather quickly (just kidding), and the no carry sign would go up the next day (not kidding). The FBI guys get on the elevators all the time carrying. Of course.

There is a lot of water cooler discussion about we're safer with them in the building----or more at risk, in case some nutjob terrorist decides to register his displeasure by pulling an Okla. City on us.

10. NavyFan

NavyFan

Blitzer,

Thanks for posting that. There is some language in there re: forbidden areas that could be interpreted to my disadvantage on this issue.

11. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Maybe you can create a Gmail account and send the FBI the question from the library? ;)

12. acpd442

acpd442

IANAL, but If I am not mistaken the FBI office does not effect the rest of the building except for the bank. The jurisdiction is concurrent there. I used to work govt. contract security at a SSA office which was posted. The space was leased so the prohibition only applied to the SSA office only. The rest of the building was fine.

13. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

[​IMG]

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?