Carry Insurance

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ScottMn, Sep 9, 2018.

1. ScottMn

ScottMn

What carry insurance do you use?

2. IowaLefty

IowaLefty

If you search this in the Carry Issues forum you will get some good threads about the different plans. My needs and research let me to CCW Safe for me and my family.

3. ScottMn

ScottMn

Your're right....early in the morning and didn't think of the carry forum. Lots of threads on this topic. Just as an FYI, I'm leaning USCCA.

n2g likes this.
  4. Professor Zero

Professor Zero

5. Wolfie38S

Wolfie38S

Get a Umbrella Policy, as long as its a good shoot you will be covered.

Even with carry insurance if its a bad shoot they may not cover you.

DrVlad likes this.
  6. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

In Arizona there is no civil liability for justified conduct - as long as it was a legal shooting you can't be sued because he was a good boy getting his life together.

nursetim likes this.
  7. captcurly

captcurly

Been with CCW SAFE for years and have had no issues with them.

8. porschedog

porschedog

Many options so much research would be warranted. I’m still in the research phase myself

9. DrVlad

DrVlad Millennium Member

I agree, and in fact do have an umbrella policy. It is my understanding that your homeowners policy also follows you around in these instances. My best friend is an absolutely brilliant insurance agent and when I discussed it with him, he was able to provide a specific case whereupon the insured was involved in a legal shoot, yet the insurance company attempted to refuse coverage of civil defense base on the fact they considered the act of shooting a “willful act9 on the part of the insured. It was ruled in court( and I think upheld in appeal) that the act was in fact NOT willful on the part of the insured, but rather reactive to the acts of the perpetrators, and the insurance coverage was in fact in force.

However, the specific policies covering selfie defense shootings do include a number of nice perks your standard policy most likely would not, like immediate access to defense attorneys, cash up front, immidiate bail, and access to expert witnesses. Granted these things may come to fruition in basic homeowners and umbrella policies, eventually, but are explicit in the contracts of self defense policies.

nursetim and Wolfie38S like this.
  10. Wolfie38S

Wolfie38S

Great comment and history.

I have a umbrella as I have other items I like covered.

The bottom line is if its a bad shoot your in trouble just like smashing your car drunk, the insurance will not cover you.

11. ScottMn

ScottMn

So, in order to settle with his home insurance umbrella policy he had to take them to court to get the company to recognize the shooting as an unwillful act and then he would have access to the funds. I assume that he had to pay for his defense out of pocket until he received his settlement. No thank you. I'm not sure that the particular case you cited has set precedent and all insurance companies consider self defense shootings unwillful. An umbrella policy is going to cost what......$200-300.......and defense specific insurance can cost the same for a basice policy with a "premium" policy running double that. Like you mentioned, I think the insurance offered by USCCA, CCW Safe, etc... is worth the peace of mind.

12. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

I feel im very unlikely to get into a shooting situation, and very unlikely ill need insurance if i do. I just save the money.

MNBud and Caver 60 like this.
  13. nursetim

nursetim

Do you shoot a lot of people? What do you mean by no issues? They take your money easily? They make taking your money easy? What? I’m not squeezing your shoes, just looking for clarification.

Caver 60 likes this.
  14. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

USCCA is what I chose. I’m covered under the Sheriff with my authorized off duty pistol but I own and occasionally carry other pistols and wanted to add layers.

n2g likes this.
  15. igolfat8

igolfat8

USCCA for me.

n2g likes this.
  16. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

That's the deal with insurance. Haven't had a car accident in 20 years. You know how many of those years I skated with no insurance ? Yep. None. Last 30 years I carried a gun. Haven't shot anyone either. How much insurance did I have? None.
    Maybe I avoid having to shooting people better than car accidents. Chances are you won't have to. Except when you have too.

17. ScottMn

ScottMn

Why do you carry a gun if not that you might, some day, have to use it in self defense. We all would like to think that IF we have to use our fire arm it would be a "clean" or "good" shoot. I don't know about you but I don't train as much as a police officer by any means and they seem to have problems clearing their name and record after using their fire arm. All it takes is one mistake, an overzealous prosecutor, any number of circumstances and you're in deep doo-doo. Ten years of carry insurance....$3500....ten hours of attorney time.....$3500. I believe the odds of not having to use 10 hours of attorney "time" are very, very small.

18. nursetim

nursetim

Ok, I get that. But why are they “no problems”?

19. powernoodle

powernoodle

Why would you want so-called carry insurance? What exactly are you insuring?

If you want to over-insure, don't waste your money on carry insurance, cancer insurance, asteroid insurance, I Just Got Beat Up By Serena Williams Insurance, pet insurance, what if I get bit by an octopus insurance, and so on. Get a $1,000,000 umbrella policy that covers all liability not otherwise covered by your homeowners (if any), health and car insurance. And costs maybe $250 per year.

This is not legal advice.

Caver 60 likes this.
  20. captcurly

captcurly

No I don't shoot a lot of people. If I am involved in a self defense shooting I definitely want some legal assistance. I am very aware of the civil actions that happen after a shooting. Some of us have insurance and some,like you don't, and that is a personal choice. When I posted issues I meant billing and having questions being answered. Maybe you should read Ayoob's book, Deadly Force, Understanding your right to self protection. Regards and have a good one.