carry handle scope mount

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by 1canvas, Apr 14, 2012.

1. 1canvas

1canvas

I have been looking for a scope mount for my AR carry handle to mount a dot scope. the one I have now puts the scope up kinda high but workable. I was thinking one of those mounts that go foward then down to co-witness the sights might be a better choice. is one concidered better than the other? also, the price on the forward mounts I have seen run from 17.00 - over 100.00. what do I need to spend to get a decent mount?

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

It's called a gooseneck.

Unless swapping receivers for a flattop is completely not an option, i generally recommend against them.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Murphy nailed it - a gooseneck mount will allow you to forward-mount a red dot sight and cowitness it with your iron sights. However, if at all possible, you would be better off to have your AR's upper receiver (just the receiver, not barrel, handguard, etc) changed to a flat top upper with integrated rail, and mount your red dot directly to the rail.

4. 1canvas

1canvas

I know that would be ideal but I'm on the fence on the dot scope. I have used them on pistols and xbows and they are really fast so I'm just trying to get the feel of one on the AR.
    I really don't want to do nothing permanent to this AR, it was bought in 94 new and I have less than 500 rounds through it. if a dot works out I'll know what AR configuration
    to buy.

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Then I would suggest finding a friend or making a new one at the range so you can try out an AR with a red dot first.

Sent from the USS Sulaco, while nuking the site from orbit.