close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry gun

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by reinbeau, Nov 30, 2004.

1. reinbeau

reinbeau

Ladies, I need suggestions on a good carry gun. As I said in the carry purse thread, I want a smaller pistol than my G23, and it has to be something I can purchase here in MA. What do you all use and like?

2. pete1953

pete1953

My wife, Lynn, has a Ruger SP101 for carry, but she prefers to borrow my S&W642 because it is lighter. She likes wheelguns! She carrys in a purse that has a concealment side pocket. I always have a wheelgun on me either as primary or backup. My other gun for carry is usually a Glock 36. Weighs about as much as a SP101 and a little more than my S&W640. It too could fit in her concealment pocket of the purse. Both 642 @ 38+p and 640 @ 357mag have internal hammers and are 5 shot revolvers. (15 oz and 20 oz respectively)

3. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Check out the subcompact Glocks, the 27 uses the same ammo as your 23 but is more concealable. I have the 26, which is the subcompact 9mm, and love it.

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

My other gun is a Colt .380 Pocketlite. It is no longer manufactured but there are other ones out there that are similar.

The only problem with this one as far as I can tell is that you really have to "yank" the trigger--the pull is 12 pounds. It is VERY easy to conceal.

5. FoxyC

FoxyC

I carry a Kel-Tel P-32, when I don't have purse or can't conceal the G19. It is super small and super light weight and super accurate.

I wasn't real thrilled that I had to buy two different types of ammo, and the fact that the Kel-Tec is considered a mouse gun, but I got a great deal and couldn't pass it up.

It has really worked out nicely, it is easy for me to carry on my ankle and I also bought a Kydex (sp?) holster that I can change from an IWB to a pocket holster with a screw driver.

6. reinbeau

reinbeau

Well, I don't think I can buy a Kel-Tel here in MA, but I can buy a Seecamp, and they're for sale right now at the local gun shop. I've wanted one for quite awhile, and Christmas is coming......:)

7. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i don't have my carry permit (yet) but purchased the g26 for ccw when i'm able to. i love it (and love it even better with an "agrip" on it).

:)

8. FoxyC

FoxyC

I don't understand. How come you can't buy a Kel-Tel in MA? Why a Seecamp and not a Kel-Tec, as I understand from the bf, Seecamps are hard to come by and Kel-Tec's are plentiful...at least in KY anyway.

Also Kel-Tec's are pretty afordable compared to the Seecamp.

Also from the bf - Seecamps have trouble with hollow points, with the exception of silver tips.

I swear by my mouse gun. ~2

9. reinbeau

reinbeau

Beats the heck outta me, we have this stupid list the Attorney General puts out, and if it is on that list, then you can't buy it. I haven't checked the list yet, but the Kel-Tec isn't available from Four Seasons so I don't think they're sold here.

10. Cat91

Cat91 Red Tabby

I carry my 23 but if I wanted something smaller it would be a .44 or .357 Smith with the really sawed off barrel. I'd like to drop the bad guy with the first shot.

Miao, Cat

11. flygirl

flygirl

I favor my KHAR K9 for carry. But then I also enjoy my Daewoo P51. Both are nice weapons that I feel very comfortable having on my hip.

12. Cat91

Cat91 Red Tabby

How do you like the Daewoo? I almost got a 9mm full size one-I can't remember which one- a few years ago. I ended up with the 23 because I had a first generation model 19 MANY years back and so I felt like the .40 cal version would be just as good...which it was, but the Glock is a little too big for my hand.

We've got a Steyr M-9 that I like a little better than the 23 but I carry the 23 because I like .40 better than 9mm for stopping power.

Miao, Cat

13. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Smaller in what way? I suggest looking at some 1911's. If you want a wheelgun, buy it in .357 not .38spl so you can load either that way, safely. I routinely carry a 4" or 3" 1911,(Kimbers) or a Taurus 605 snubbie.

14. reinbeau

reinbeau

Actually, Vic, I'm leaning towards a wheel gun. There are some featherweight S&W's that look promising. I'll have to get up to the gunshop after Christmas and see what there is to see.

15. Cat91

Cat91 Red Tabby

I think she means smaller as in "smaller size" as opposed to less caliber.

If I were to give up my 23 it would be for a Steyr M-40 or M-40A1, I think. Or one of these S&W snub-nose .44 Magnum revolvers. They are smaller around the grip and hubby's M-9 especially is a tack-driver. I'm just sorta partial to .40, I think...lot of LEOs I know swear by it but several of the departments here seem to be going to .45 ACP anymore.

The model 22 and 23 Glocks are a little big to grip. Okay for two-handed, but not so much for one-handed. I have the same problem with SIGs and Berettas of the Model 92 type, too. I hated the M9 to the max when I was in the Army.

Tho I like my model 23 enough that I can't see spending a lot of mony for what would essentially be a lateral move. I got it because at the time you couldn't get 14 round magazines for the .40 cal or 9mm Steyr around here even as a law enforcement person and I could get standard mags for the model 23, no problem. It is basically great for carrying in its special pocket in my purse for days at a time. And is ready to go whenever (if-ever) I need it.

Miao, Cat

16. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Ann, if you are thinking wheelgun, I can recommend Ruger GP100's or SP101's. S&W always makes nice stuff, too. But stay away from super lightweight ones unless you enjoy painful recoil. My 605 is light even all day, and it is a full stainless snubbie.

17. c-mama

c-mama Moderator

Just my input. I don't carry yet - but my .357 65 LadySmith is great. Now, like I said, I haven't carried it around yet, but I love the way she shoots and am extrememly comfortable with her and I think that's the important thing. ;)

18. Cat91

Cat91 Red Tabby

Crosspost from the carry purse thread :)

I committed Glock SACRILEGE tonight. Traded off my 23.

Hubby's packing a Steyr M-9 and has been after me to get a gun we can swap ammo on to save money at the range. I used the opportunity to get something to fill my hand with...that actually FITS my hand-the Glock's grip is a little fat for my tiny hands.

I got a Fabrique Nationale FNP-9. You can drive tacks with it! And it has 16 round magazines. Still full size, but fits in my purse just like the 23 did.

Miao, Cat

19. flygirl

flygirl

I like the Daewoo alot. It is very nice to shoot.

20. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

If you like the wheelgun, go for a J-Frame in 357/38. You can practice with the 38s and carry the 357. Great option. I got one for Christmas. Very nice little pocket gun. :)