close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry gun - G26 or????

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Pearl Mussin, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Pearl Mussin

Pearl Mussin

Hello everyone I currently own and carry a Glock 26, love the gun but I am kinda wanting something a little smaller/lighter for carry. I have been carrying this gun for about 1yr now. I use a Don hume IWB holster at about the 8 O'clock position (left handed). With spring/summer right around the corner (hopefully...) I am thinking about getting something different. I am wondering if someone else is.was in the same dilemma. A couple of guns I am looking at are the pocket guns, P-3at, LCP, ect. ect. Id almost like to trade my Glock for a LCR.. Would the LCR be easier to carry than my G26??

What are your guys suggestions??

THANKS

Jeremy

2. Jackalo626

Jackalo626

The trade off with something smaller is firepower and does it pack enough punch to stop someone? It is all a compromise. In a panic situation I'm sure my aim will not be as good as it is at the range with no threat and a target that doesn't move but when it gets ugly I might need those extra shots to end the threat.

3. conpro

conpro

4. Carnage

Carnage

I Really don't understand this.
    I got a G17 and a G26. Use my G17 for on and off duty, On summer I switch to G26 off-duty. It's feels really small compared to the G17. You want something smaller than the G26, guess this thread doesn't belong to GG but to General Firearms?

5. bullybrdr

bullybrdr

You are carrying a more concealable gun than an LCR and your G26 has more firepower, so ask yourself this question: have I had any reliability issues with my G26, am I more accurate with an LCR than I am with my G26, do I feel more confident with an LCR than I do my G26? Only you can answer these questions.

6. gtalum1996

gtalum1996

Stay with the G26. Ultimate reliability and great accuracy. I love mine. I have two. Best 9mm carry gun ever made IMHO.

If you do decide to go with something smaller, I personally would go with the smith j-frames or LCR. I am not much for the pocket .380's, but if you have to I guess.....

7. LEAD

LEAD

[​IMG]
    I'm just joshin' ya, I like the compacts better too, but to answer the question

Pearl Mussin, if you're fine with the .380 round, the LCP is an excellent pistol for its size. The LCR would be easier to carry than your 26. You should go to a shop and have them take out a 26 and whatever else you're considering, make sure your change is going to be significant enough to notice. Kel-tec has a 9mm along the same lines as thier P3at, the recoil is significant, but the round is more effective.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  8. Doug S

Doug S

Yes, the LCR, or any lightweight snub 38 will carry better. The trade off is 5 less rounds, in a gun that is more difficult to shoot accurately, and quickly. Also, less powerful round out of the snub.

I alternate between a G26 and a S&W 642. The 642 is nicer in the pocket, but if I had to choose between the two for self defense, I'd much prefer the G26. The G26 is a trade off. For the fatter gun, you get something that is easier in the recoil department, easy to shoot accuately, good firepower for it's size (better with 17 round reloads), quicker firing and reloads, and in my experience as reliable as my revolvers.

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You need 2 carry guns.

Keep the G26. You love it and can work on concealment. Maybe it will meet 75% to 95% of your needs.

In addition, get a smaller gun. I have a S&W 642 which is about the exact same size as an LCR (I just shot an LCR the other day). Let's call either of those guns a snubbie :)

Snubbies conceal extremely well. They are lighter (in the models mentioned above) than a G26. And while the cylinder is thick, the rest of the gun is thin.

And most importantly, there is no slide to print.

My 2 cents. :)

10. bladenbullet

bladenbullet gun clinger

taurus pt709 9mm...light and thin...if thatswhat youre looking for...

11. ChipM

ChipM

I don't think "fatter" makes much of a difference. I just traded a Kahr CW9 for a (G26-sized) Walther P99C. Despite being about 0.4" thicker, the Walther conceals better. Grip length is more important than thickness - the end of the Kahr grip is more likely to print.

12. Adionik

Adionik

I can see why you'd want something a little lighter/thinner than the G26. I have it right now IWB and I wish I was carrying a P3AT instead haha. Honestly though, they're pieces of crap. I hear the Luger isn't much higher quality either.

13. LEAD

LEAD

I find thier offerings have been of high quality, Ruger's too:
    [​IMG]

14. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I think your problem is an ineffective concealment system for your G26. No.1, I do not want to carry anything with less than 10+1 capacity. So get a good carry rig and belt so you can conceal properly.

Brommeland+Beltman w/G26=Satisfaction.

15. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

I carry the G26 most of the time. However, during the summer months, if I carry, I resort to either the Keltec .380 or 32 on many occasions. They're not my first choice, but if I am going to carry, it has to something small/lite, such as these. I struggled with what to carry for a while, then had to make a decision on which sooted me the best; same goes for you I'm sure.

Good Luck!

16. den888

den888

I think that the G26 is a great choice for CC. Lots of firepower and very concealable.

17. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

I have a Kel-tec p3at and a Kahr pm-9, most of the time I either carry the G19(80%), g26 (10%), PM9 (8%), p3at (2%), I am much more comfortable carrying the smaller pistols but when I go into town there are gangs and I could come up against more than one perp. So round count is of more importance than comfort.

18. Pearl Mussin

Pearl Mussin

This is my thinking.. I will keep the G26 if I pick up a P-3at because they are so cheap..

Do you guys like your little Kel Tecs?? I think it would be nice to put in my pocket on hot days with shorts and a t-shirt..

I do love the 26, never had any problems with it, shoots EXCELLENT and holds 11rnds.

THANKS guys

Jeremy

19. rem2429

rem2429

Walther pss, or if you cannot afford it get a Keltec- Pf-9 or .38 revolver.
    I'm not a .380 fan. I have a KelTec P3AT.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  20. tango44

tango44

Forget it, smaller than a G26 will be impossible, LCP and others are .380 which in my opinion is not a good caliber for Self defense.
    I don't see what's wrong with your G26!