Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ago two years until I can retire. I'm looking at options on a Retirement Carry Gun.
I've narrowed it to a few platforms all in 9mm.

1. A Commander size 1911

2. Glock 19M or Glock 45

3. CZ 75D compact PCR

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Your retirement firearm, as a practical matter, would be best determined by:
  • Where you will be living.
  • Your lifestyle (suit and jacket, shorts and polo shirt, ??).
  • Your day to day social activities.
Without doing an honest evaluation of the above (and a bunch of other stuff I’ve neglected to mention) then just picking a “good gun” won’t work out well for you.

Lugging around a service size handgun when you’re going to the 7/11 for milk will get old quickly.

For the record I carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster.

·
Massive Member
25,633 Posts
G45 here, with a proper holster it’s concealable, but barely. Untucked shirt. Trigger big improvement over my G3 G19.

Good choice but on the large side.

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Wut?
2,528 Posts
I have ago two years until I can retire. I'm looking at options on a Retirement Carry Gun.
I've narrowed it to a few platforms all in 9mm.

1. A Commander size 1911

2. Glock 19M or Glock 45

3. CZ 75D compact PCR
If these are the guns you're considering, if doesn't seem like you have physical limitations, so why do you need a "retirement carry gun?"

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
I chose the Shield. it’s not on you list but the weight and general shoot ability works good for me.
you named several good options. Buy one now and hunt to your family about one of the others as a retirement gift. Lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’ve been retired for 5 years, and moved from a cooler climate to a more moderate one. My carry gun has also changed. Thinner and lighter are more a priority than double stack mags and service length barrels. Carry what you want, I guarantee you’ll modify it as you go.

·
Private side
11,595 Posts
What do you carry now? Can you downsize but stay in same family?
If the three you mentioned are the only options, I like the Commander option; particularly if you go lightweight. If you can go a little smaller, the 938 is nice.

Reactions: seanmac45

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,645 Posts
I think I'd pretty much just CC what I'd been carrying. Don't fix it if it's not broken.

·
Private side
11,595 Posts
Carry what you want, I guarantee you’ll modify it as you go.

4 years here and how I feel dictates what I carry. It was a lot of J-frame and Sig 938 until I bought a 43x and a 48. Usually a higher capacity/larger gun in car but the smaller guns are usually with me.

·
Pretty Ladies!
4,728 Posts
You're still in "work" mode. Wait until you've actually been retired for a couple months and you'll be looking for something thinner and lighter then any of the guns you listed.

I'm pretty much carrying my Glock 43 exclusively now. There were a couple of weeks early in the pandemic when the stores were being emptied by panicky people that I went back to carrying a G19 IWB with my G43 on my ankle. I got over it and am back to just the G43.

·
Registered
32,508 Posts
To be honest those are all about the same size, some weight differences, the 1911 is thinner.

What do you carry on duty or off duty. If you are used to that go with it or something similar.

For example the last 10 years of my career I have carried a 1911 and a 642. My retirement guns are Smith revolvers or 1911 based guns.

If they had allowed Glock back in the day I would probably be carrying a Glock 26, 43, or 19.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts