Carry Belt vs. Regular belt

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Staffordshire, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

I’ve never purchased a carry belt. I mainly carry off body, and when I do carry on body, it is with a Glock 43. And then, only for short periods of time, when in a restaurant or shopping. And for those times a regular leather belt does just fine. I typically carry at 4:30 IWB. I have, at times, taking my dogs for a 30 minute walk and with my regular belt had on a Glock 23 or 17. The regular belt held up OK but wasn’t the best option, and even for short walks, I prefer the Glock 43.

However, I’ve wondered how much difference a carry belt could make. Would a compact pistol such as a Glock 19/23 carry better with a dedicated carry belt than my Glock 43 with an off the shelf leather belt?

2. steelerfan

steelerfan Country Roads..

I think it makes all the difference. This is just me, but I wouldn't carry on my belt without one. I had a leather carry belt for years (which worked well), but I just picked up a carry belt from Kore Essentials to replace it as my old one is almost 20 years old.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Deputydave, Bus007 and GlockyQ like this.

3. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Yeah, no question you need a dedicated edc belt...so many of the folks I instructed when I ran my CHL classes, bought a quality holster and paired it with a dress or other type unsuitable belt...always resulted in poor range performance...if you are dedicated to the EDC philosophy, then buy a good edc belt.

robhic, GlockyQ, happyguy and 3 others like this.
  4. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

A carry belt is the only way to go. It makes a tremendous difference. Many good ones to choose from.

robhic, GlockyQ, rick458 and 2 others like this.
  5. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

Get. A. Carry. Belt. I like Beltman and Kore Essentials. YMMV.

GlockyQ, rayzer007 and 1L26 like this.
  6. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Generally speaking, if you are using a decent holster and a decent 1.5-1.75 belt of at least medium weight, I am not inclined to believe that anything else is needed. If you are wearing a crap holster and a good belt, you likely have experienced some problems. If you are wearing a crap belt and a good holster, you likely have experienced some problems. I have carried guns for near 40 years and although I have used custom "gunbelts", I have never truly needed it. I simply use a good holster and decent belt. Thats it.. no rocket science or magical fairy dust .

Today right now I am using a 1.5 leather belt from tractor supply coupled with a OWB holster from concealment solutions. The gun is tight to my body with no flop. I think I paid $24 for the belt. If someone wants to pay 50-80-100 for a belt, they can but I probably wont. I have nothing against custom gunbelts, I think most of them are of outstanding quality. Its just not my thing and I have never really "needed" one.

GlockyQ and fastbolt like this.
  7. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Glock w: Al Mar knife.JPG

All my belts are "gun belts." To be more dressy (think office/wearing slacks or suits), I get 1 1/4-inch wide and usually change out the buckle to something just a bit fancier. Oh, and order the belts with cinch holes 3/4-inch apart rather the standard 1-inch apart.

My belts have to hold up a lot more than just the Glock G19. There's the spare mag. The cellphone. In the pockets are house keys, car keys w/ fob, coins, wallet, pocket knife and misc. stuff.

GlockyQ and rayzer007 like this.
  8. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Since you only body carry your pistol for short periods of time, for specific purposes (ie walking the dog, dining out, shopping) you should determine if wearing suspenders (with your current dress belts) would be appropriate. Suspenders are relatively inexpensive and will help hold up your larger gun.

I just received my first pair of suspenders and am looking to test it out!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Victor Dubya likes this.
  9. Scott1970

Scott1970

A proper belt for gun carry is absolutely essential. I prefer a horse hide/cowhide combo by Ryan Grizzle.

GlockyQ likes this.
  10. Velvetfoot

Velvetfoot

I think I have the same one! Carhartt, made in China, right? It's been holding up well, although I pocket carry, along with extra mag, phone, knife, keys, etc.

11. FireForged

12. scattershot

scattershot

Think of it this way... If you buy a quality belt for carry, you won’t need another one.

GlockyQ, rick458 and rayzer007 like this.
  13. collim1

collim1

It makes a huge difference. It’s worth the money.

GlockyQ and rayzer007 like this.
  14. 1L26

1L26

You may all go to Hell and I will go to TEXAS!
    Absolutely! A dedicated gun belt makes all the difference. I have (2)

1) Beltman, spectacular belt I purchased 2 of those.

2) Tucker Ranger Belt. It doesn't get much better than that IMHO. It is used mainly for going out where a little style is called for.

Good luck!

GlockyQ likes this.
  15. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I like the Mission belt for concealed carry situations. The ratchet adjustability is the great feature of this belt.

Be aware there are many cheaper Chinese copies. I have not tried these copies. But I can speak for the Mission belt, and the buckle is sturdy.

I have also seen the Mission belt at Costco for $20.

GlockyQ likes this.
  16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Once I started carrying a concealed handgun, I realized I needed to choose my belts with a bit more care. I simply started choosing good quality leather belts.

It worked when I was carrying steel 1911's, .357MAG & .44MAG revolvers, without having to wait for the dedicated modern "gun belts" to be invented. No "accessory, appearance only" belts, but just sturdy leather belts.

I had a couple off-the-rack JCPenney leather dress belts, and a couple others from I forget where, that served me admirably when I was wearing a metal duty pistol and spare mags in my plainclothes job for many years. I just picked brown and black, and a couple different widths (some slacks had shorter loops) and I was good to go with my various holsters (leather and kydex) over the years.

I did have one dedicated gun belt holster, made by a major name holster maker, gifted to me by a close friend. While it looked nice with the custom stitching, it didn't "work" any better than the sturdy off-the-rack dress or jeans belts I used.

I only wear paddle holsters when wearing a neat cloth belt I've used for several years. I've been meaning to buy an American-made ratcheting "soft" belt, but it's a ways down on my list of things to do.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    GlockyQ and FireForged like this.
  17. FireForged

Fastbolt has it exactly right in my estimation.

18. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

A rigid belt makes a lot of difference. Even without a gun because of its wanting to stay a circle it holds pants up better. I wear a rigid belt a lot looser and it still holds everything up to the same level as a regular belt.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    GlockyQ likes this.
  19. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

I don’t know what a carry belt is. You need a gunbelt if you want to be comfortable and for your holster to be able to do it’s job. No substitute for a gunbelt. Night and day difference.

ranger1968 and GlockyQ like this.