GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
54,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming to our granddaughter's graduation. Will I be able to carry at the graduation, or does the facility become school property when occupied for a school function?!?

HELP!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would not suggest carrying at any school function, whether or not it is on school grounds. It seems to be a really bad idea.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I just called them and they said they are posted as a 'no concealed carry' facility.
I was there last year and did not remember seeing any signs but maybe they just put them up. Anyway, that is what I found out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thats kind of funny. The NRA meeting was there and everyone carried. Gun shows there all the time. The issue is that if the school rents it for that purpose then they probably have a good argument that at least for the time of the event it's school property.

·
Registered
462 Posts
RussP - This is a very good question and sorry we do not have a 100% solid answer for you. Whether or not they are posted does not matter in KY for this facility. Unlike TX and some other states concealed is concealed in KY and if you print they can ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave if they ask only then you will run into trouble. Naturally that is not applicable to post offices, gov't buildings, etc.

My gut tells me you would be okay concealed. We all carried there for the NRA convention, and the graduations I have attended there have been jam packed. As long as you stay concealed you will have no issues. I probably would.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I never expect to get in a car wreck but always put my seatbelt on. I assume RussP and I are both the same way on carrying.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Carrying a handgun is specifically for when you don't expect trouble.

For expected trouble, I want infantry back up, the biggest artillery, and close air support.

If trouble is certain, then glassy circles as necessary and avoid that spot the next few centuries.

I just don't enjoy conflict and intend to minimize it. That's because I'm wussy. A pump 40mm grenade launcher helps make up for that some, and I try to remember to cheat every little chance..

·
Pathetic Loser
745 Posts
Oh, you guys!
I meant trouble like in being patted down or "wanded" before entering...
But I LIKE the way you're thinkin' with the air suport idea!
See, here in Indiana this topic would turn into "Should I Open Carry @ graduation?" Well, should you, punk?- that's what Dirty Harry would ask.

·
Have you seen me?
12,678 Posts
Coming to our granddaughter's graduation. Will I be able to carry at the graduation, or does the facility become school property when occupied for a school function?!?

HELP!!!
You're coming to LOUISVILLE?

And didn't tell me? I'm hurt. Give me a call when you get in town. Check out the relevant state laws at

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/070.PDF

My opinion - the Expo center isn't school property, but might be posted for no carrying. It's downtown, but in a good area (I work two blocks away), and has plenty of police presence. Matter of fact, high school graduations usually have off duty officers working security - a few friends of mine have done it in the past.

If you don't mind me asking, what school? And you better damn well call me when you get down here! PM for my number.

·
NRA Life Member
63,391 Posts
I don't think it's school property, but it may be posted. I only go there for gun shows and they are all "no loaded weapons" so I've never carried one in anyhow. It's not a very dangerous place. I always leave mine in the car. I don't think I even carried a gun for the NRA convention.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It is KY. Their posting doesn't matter; concealed is concealed. We live in KY not TX. If you get made and are asked to leave you will only get in trouble if you refuse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts