carry ammo

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by 870 ExpressMag, Mar 1, 2010.

1. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag

sorry if this should be in ammunition section...i put it here because it dealt with concealed carry. I recently got a g27 for carry. this has probably been discussed a thousand times and i am sure i will get 20 opinions, but i am wondering where to start trying to find a carry ammo. At almost a dollar a shot for a lot of it i cant afford to go load up on ammo just to run through to see it all punch pretty holes in paper. and gun magazines pretty much brag up whoever is paying there bills. Just looking for suggestions on where to start...manufacturer? bullet weight? bullet type? thanks

2. Glockin26

Glockin26

A dollar a shot!? I am going to use golden saber for my carry ammo (G26). I dont know anyone who uses strictly HP's for target practice. Im sure a few clips to make sure it feeds fine is acceptable, but i would get some FMJ shooting ammo for target practice.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

You don't need to try a bunch of different carry ammo in your gun. Pick a name brand defensive load and test it in your gun. If it works then the search is over. Many "experts" will tell you that only one particular round is suitable for carry. That is BS. Just go with a name brand premium defense load and you will be well served by it. With a good gun feeding shouldn't be an issue with any round, but test some just to make sure.

Some good options are

Win PDX
    Cor-bon DPX
    Speer Gold Dot
    Hornady Tap

These and many others will do the the job well.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Use Winchester white box for general use and run a couple magazines of whatever you want to carry. If the couple mags run well, switch back to the FMJ stuff for the rest of the range session.

Get a Dillon :thumbsup:

5. NY Glock

NY Glock

I carry 180 Gr Golden Sabers in my G27. I like the Federal hydra shocks also. In my 10mm I carry Double Tap.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You're gonna have to run a couple of boxes anyways.. At the very least to make sure it functions OK, and that you can properly shoot it.

The 180gr Winchester USA JHP, is a good, all around defensive round. The PDX1 is turning some heads... both should be reasonably available in your area(The most important thing to consider when choosing ammo... Can you find it?). I like the 180gr Gold Dot.

That said, YOU are going to make a far bigger difference, than any minor differences in JHPs of the same caliber. There just isn't that much difference between them. Find one, use it, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Placement is what gets it done, not ammo in a cool box.

IGF

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  7. 1canvas

1canvas

i just paid 23.+ for speer gold dot 50 round box online from ammotogo.com. there are alot of good reasons i like this round. i think its the best combination of penetration and expansion. i have used them for sd and hunting for many years. for my .40s [23-27] i use 165. once i make sure the ammo runs in my gun then i use cheep stuff. when it comes to my personal defense, ammo or caliber i will not compromise no mater the cost.
    that ammo is less than half the cost than i can find it around here.

8. cantuckee

cantuckee

Corbon DPX, but never use HPs to practice, FMJ all the way

9. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag

i read that in 40...smaller weights have better stopping power....and if i choose say 165gr or 180gr should i choose practice ammo of the same weight?

10. RioKid

RioKid

I carry with Federal HydraShoks in my G27 and G23. I have never had a failure of any kind.

11. The Habit

The Habit كافر

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

Just order some Federal HST's from www.Streichers.com and be done. Oh and BTW when you buy from them you're paying far less than a dollar a shot. :cool:

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Then you read fanboy nonsense... The only thing that results in "stopping power" is you putting a round where it goes. Find a round that YOU can shoot accurately, and that YOU shoot well, and go with that. If thats a 135gr, then so be it, if its a 180gr, then go w/ that. *Personally*, I do not like the lightweight 135gr rounds, because they do not penetrate as well as the heavy rounds, but again, thats because I value penetration over some awesome "foot lbs" number.

Stopping power is about 5% ammo, 95% guy holding the gun.

14. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag

for a shorter barrel pistol...is 180gr better? not as hot and snappy in a shorter barrel...more manageable and less flash?

15. gleasonb

gleasonb

Winchester Ranger 180 is what we are issued at work, shoot just fine for me (and their free)

16. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

Any factory JHP 155-180gr load from the big names should serve you just fine. Shot placement is key, period. A handgun is only to get to your rifle with.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Again, I can't tell you what's better, because I don't know your skill level. If you can shoot a nice group w/ 180gr, but can't shoot the broad side of a barn w/ 165gr.. and I say 165gr is better... what would you choose?

Flash is more dependant on the powder the maker of the ammo uses.

You're asking a question, that has no wrong answer.

IGF

18. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag

thanks for the responses guys...will take a couple suggestions and see what works for me...thanks again

19. RBL525

RBL525

+1 i use and love the Golden Sabres.

20. G36shooter

G36shooter

If you decide on Federal HST check out CMP Dist. Lansing,MI Exit 98B I-96 W 517 721 0970 .40s/w $21.00/box of 50.