close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry ammo shelf life

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by m87, Feb 21, 2010.

1. m87

m87

Not sure if this belongs in Caliber Corner or here...

I know this topic seems like it comes up often, but I'm not exactly asking how long centerfire pistol ammo will last; the answer seems to be many years. I'm interested in how long, for you, premium SD ammo shelf life is in order to be considered very reliable. After this period, it should still be "range reliable" and still go bang consistently.

I don't currently carry or have a permit (one of these days...). Reason I ask is that I bought a few hundred rounds of Gold Dot 2 years ago at a good price, and I'm wondering how many years it has left (in your opinion) before I should think about rotating stock or maybe using some of it up. Would you trust your life carrying ammo that you bought say 5-10 years ago if stored properly?

Since I don't currently carry, I've only shot a few mags worth to check for function. There also hasn't been any issue of sweat or oils mucking it up. It's kept indoors, relatively cool, and dry.

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I trust ammo that I bought with WWII production dates if it looks like it's been kept up.

About once a month I shoot what I'm carrying as I carry it, more to double check it's 100% reliable in my pistol more than "has the ammo gone bad"

3. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

I shoot the mag in my gun every two or three months, more often if I'm chambering and un chambering rounds more than two or three times.

4. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

with the exception of chambering and re chambering the same round, I consider my carry ammo good for several years.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

The stuff in the gun gets shot up every six months or so. Ammo still in boxes lasts virtually forever unless it gets exposed to moisture or something.

6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Given low temp/humidity storage, ammo lasts so long that any consideration of 'carry' vs. 'range' ammo is shaving slices off a thin red curly hair.

Shoot your carry ammo at the range and reload it from some new stuff as you happen to think of it, every two weeks or twice a year, and it won't change the odds that one primer on one round is bad, or that a firing pin will break, or a striker bind up on dirt and debris.. no ammo comes with a guarantee it's going to win the gunfight, and any ammo beats no ammo, and paying triple price for hypevertising *Extreme Shock* ammo is silly and inane. Buy decent quality, shoot it, carry it, store extra for years, until you know different, parsing out to the 4th decimal place is a pointless endeavor. It's like counting raindrops and guessing if there's more to the left or the right. Your error rate is bigger than the difference you're attempting to measure. You will NOT get any definitive answer, YOU pick how you want to run your gun. I'ma shoot what you carry, heavy for caliber, as much barrel as I can get, kinda guy. Lots aren't. You probably aren't.

The one true answer I've got for you is it don't matter much. Get right down to it, first is the only virtue in a gunfight you can count on working in your favor. 'Goes Bang' is a common condition with modern ammo. Assume it, don't be stupid with said ammo, ie don't get it wet or hot, and you're set. The rest is sight picture (or point shooting) and trigger control. *Rapidly*. :)

7. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

IMO if kept cool and dry it will outlast you. Shot 30 year old reloads last week every round fired perfectly.

8. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

My thoughts exactly......

9. para40

para40 curmudgeon

It will outlast you.

10. LApm9

LApm9 Silver Member

I buy a new box every year. The older stuff goes into the "Reserve" from which the oldest is fired first for "real stuff" practice.

I have never had a factory round (some as old as ten years) fail to fire, save for one fresh-from-the-store premium defense round.

11. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

I feel this applies to all ammo, no matter who made it.

:cool:

12. DWB

DWB

How about carry ammo stored in car glove box? Maybe not so wet, but sure can be exposed to some temperature extremes. Any idea how long the ammo would be reliable?

13. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

The ammo will work just fine for a very long time. It would work when your grand kids are at the range with your pistol.

:cool:

14. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Long enough that it doesn't matter.

15. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

It's probably good til you shoot it, no good after that.

16. Maine1

Maine1

ammo will lsat a long time if stored even halfway decent. Most people underestimate how robust ammo really is.

i have shot rounds left out over a few winters in the mud, with no issues at all.

a discount store blew out some 10mm comercial reloads that had "gotten wet" in a store fire. i snagged 900 rounds for $10/box...the price of the brass. all works fine.

I shoot my carry ammo fairly often, as i am regularly taking pests around the yard or plinking with my carry gun.
    I'll unload mags every month or so, clean out the gunk and hay chaff, and inspect the ammo.

put that gold dot in an ammo can with dessicant, and keep it in a dry cellar, and your grandkids can shoot it.

17. CBennett

CBennett

same I cant afford to shoot off a box of $30 ammo(for 20 rounds) every month(hell I have a problem buying 2 practice boxes for $25 for the month) so I keep mine a few YEARS(3-4) unless I have something happens to them thats out of the ordinary.

18. CBennett

CBennett

I know that back in the 1980's I was shooting ammo from a red green and white brick of .22 ammo...Remington I think that was from the early to mid 1960's when my dad was a teenager..it worked fine in 1985/86 era and thats 20+ years....remington kleenbore i think. And in the 60's that was kept outside in the barn for pest removal and plinking(grandma didnt want ammo in the house so the ammo and guns were separate cause there weer a lot of kids around) so from being kept in a barn in the 60's till 1985-87 or there abouts...pretty good deal that it still worked.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  19. m87

m87

Well, I feel reassured. Thanks :wavey:

20. zeker2

zeker2

Several years ago I was given several boxes of ammo by a police officer issued to him for practice at the Departments range. When I fired the ammo in my pistol, I experienced about a 10% misfire rate in two of the boxes he gave me. I properly disposed of the remaining boxes as I was afraid I might get a squib load and damage my pistol. I don't know the history of the ammo and only bring it up here because it was described as "old" ammo when given to me.