close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry a Gun You Haven't Shot Yet?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gunowner1, Oct 21, 2012.

  1. gunowner1

    gunowner1

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,516
    Likes Received:
    250
    Location:
    Jensen Beach
    I got my G29Sf a week ago but haven't shot it yet. I really want the first bullet out of it to be one a made when I get my reloading set up finished. I've worn it around the house and in the yard but have been reluctant to wear it out as I have yet to shoot it. I gotta go down south tomorrow and would love to wear the 29 out. It's a Glock, I'm sure it would work,God forbid.if I needed it. Anybody here ever wear a gun they didn't shoot yet?
     
  2. NH Trucker

    NH Trucker Needs coffee...

    Joined:
    May 4, 2009
    Messages:
    2,810
    Likes Received:
    380
    Location:
    Concord, NH
    I'm sure yours will be fine, but why take the chance? Carry what you know works, until you can take the G29 to the range. Don't forget to try it with ammo that you're planning on using as your carry load.
     

  3. Gallium

    Gallium CLM

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2003
    Messages:
    28,685
    Likes Received:
    17
    Don't get nostalgic over your carry rig. Function over everything else. If you want to wait for your reloading setup, take the gun off, put it down and carry something you have tested
     
  4. TheExplorer

    TheExplorer

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1,322
    Likes Received:
    0
    No way. 99% chance it will be fine, but that 1% could be enough.
     
  5. USMCsilver

    USMCsilver Boat Life ©

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2001
    Messages:
    13,016
    Likes Received:
    146
    Location:
    Middle of SC
    I carried a XD subcompact for about 2 years in my truck without ever firing it. Not bright, I know...but I bought it, loaded it, and put it in the console.

    One day, I thought, "Hey, I've never shot that thing." So, I took it out, dumped a mag of Hydra-Shoks, and that solved that.
     
  6. ArtificialGrape

    ArtificialGrape CLM

    Joined:
    May 9, 2007
    Messages:
    5,826
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Colorado Springs
    Not if I had any other choice.
     
  7. gunowner1

    gunowner1

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,516
    Likes Received:
    250
    Location:
    Jensen Beach
    Ok the 29 stays home.....G26, G19, or G30? I already carry two mags with all of them. Also should the LCP go as backup? I hate going to West Palm!
     
  8. crazycooter91

    crazycooter91 Roll Tide

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2012
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Somewhere in north AL
    I just got my glock a week ago and have only 30rds through it and don't feel accurate enough with it yet...until I have a lot more practice with it, I won't carry it. I will continue to carry the jennings (**** gun but runs decent with good ammo) because I have atleast 400rds through it and can hit a human sized target as long as its within 50yds (and even more accurate up close like any pocket pistol)
     
  9. concretefuzzynuts

    concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    7,476
    Likes Received:
    24
    Location:
    PNW
  10. Little Joe

    Little Joe

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Messages:
    8,058
    Likes Received:
    1,840
    Location:
    At The Ready
    The G30, and yes, take the LCP as a backup. :supergrin:
     
  11. Bruce M

    Bruce M

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2010
    Messages:
    46,386
    Likes Received:
    20,424
    Location:
    S FL
    I would prefer not to if I could at all avoid it.
     
  12. wallytoo

    wallytoo FA4AA

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    0
    Does it work? You don't know, I mean, you don't KNOW.

    If it works, does it shoot straight?

    I think the world of Glocks, but I won't carry something I haven't tested.
     
  13. gunowner1

    gunowner1

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,516
    Likes Received:
    250
    Location:
    Jensen Beach
    Can anybody guess why I would even go near West Palm?
     
  14. NeverMore1701

    NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2004
    Messages:
    40,172
    Likes Received:
    6,391
    Location:
    Amarillo, Tx
  15. Maxx702

    Maxx702 I BITE LIBERALS!!

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    Messages:
    1,301
    Likes Received:
    1,642
    Location:
    Southern Nevada
    Nope.
    A couple hundred rounds minimum including the sd ammo I intend to use.
     
  16. bruzer

    bruzer

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    G21 out of the box, loaded up, in the holster and carried for days before I got a chance to try it out. Has never failed yet.

    I have been issued weapons that I got to try out first. So very lucky I never had to depend my life on them.

    Good luck and stay safe,
    Mike
     
  17. BEER

    BEER bad example

    Joined:
    May 2, 2006
    Messages:
    6,850
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Dayton, Texas
    nope, no gun is considered for carry until i've personally put a minimum of 250 rounds of my preferred carry ammo through it.
     
  18. gunowner1

    gunowner1

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,516
    Likes Received:
    250
    Location:
    Jensen Beach
    G30 it is then.Switch out ten rounders for 21 mags. LCP,cargo pocket, weak side . Spyderco Citadel 92mm, front pocket strong side and Benchmade Mel Pardue, on belt,next to Fenix LD10, on belt, weak side. God it's bad when I'm carrying backup knives.LOL
     
  19. Hauptmann6

    Hauptmann6

    Joined:
    May 22, 2002
    Messages:
    4,295
    Likes Received:
    142
    Location:
    Portage, MI
    Yup..
     
  20. crazycooter91

    crazycooter91 Roll Tide

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2012
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Somewhere in north AL

    I don't really have a minimum round count before I carry it, just however many rounds it takes for me to get familiar with the weapon and confident in my ability with it.