close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carry a 9x25 for defense?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by mclaren, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mclaren

mclaren

I realize this is a caliber specific question in the carry forum. My question does not pertain to the merits of the cartridge. Does anyone actually carry this round for defense? I get the impression that it is used more as a range round. I am about to order a barrel and some ammo for my G20C and I would like to carry it for defense. Has anyone done this?

2. Yellowfin

Yellowfin

I think people might be a little too leery of a Stanley Fish case repeat.

3. Randal45

Randal45

my guess is that case or it's merits would not apply to a home defense gun.....ccw maybe so

4. mclaren

mclaren

Harold A. Fish shot an unarmed man. He was released from prison. Im not sure that the caliber mattered as much as the question of his life being in danger. That seems to be more of an issue from what I read.
    If this is a relevant point wouldnt it apply more to those carrying a 10mm? The 40s&w is as much a variant of the 10 as the 9x25. The .357 sig is even further derived from the 10 so it seems like that would be a double liability. Both are pretty popular and accepted. Im not sure this case applies. Enlighten me.

Is this in fact what keeps people from taking it out of the home or the range?

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Then you've not read much about the trial... The fact he used a 10mm was touted by the prosecutor several times throughout the trial.

I'm not saying Harold Fish was right or wrong.. Something sure didn't seem to make sense, I will say that... but the fact is the 10mm did become an issue.

Yes, he was released from prison, but he went through hell on earth to get released(Prison, 2 trials, etc..)

http://proarms.podbean.com/2008/11/23/015-the-10mm-review-the-harold-fish-case/

IGF

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

What's the difference? You're still using a firearm in self defense.

IGF

7. mclaren

mclaren

thanks for the link IndyGunFreak. Thats the best info I have found on the subject so far. I didn't want to turn this into a Harold Fish thread but Im glad it came up. I still think that the 10mm Hollow point issue wasn'n critical. I think if he had shot him with a .22LR the outcome would be the same. I think it was much more about the other guy being unarmed. This case has been brought up to me so many times in the past in reference specifically to the 10mm.

8. wiskeyVI

wiskeyVI

Is this the Takorov round?
    If so, I shot one a few weeks back for the first time,
    Being able to knock the snot out of a bowling pin at a 100yds is pretty darn nice!

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

OK, Not trying to turn this into Harold Fish thread number 1 gazillion, but you've shown you're not really familiar w/ this case... Documented tv interviews, says the jury found the 10mm to be an issue. Its not what you think, or what I think, its what the jury thinks, and the jury thought the way they did, because the prosecutor led them down that path. Here's a quote on a recap of one of the JUROR's interviews.

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2009/07/az_no_retrial_f.php

Now I do agree w/ you that there were a LOT of other issues in the Fish case, but the 10mm did not help matters.

IGF

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  10. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Why 9x25?

I don't believe you will get much benefit from the barrel ports. The "comp" action that comes from the 9x25 is meant to be used in a real compensator...on the end of a barrel...not from those barrel ports.

Are you after ballistics? Bullet choice?

11. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

I use a 10mm for defense and a bunch of other reasons and I don't care about that particular aforementioned case whatsoever.

9x25 for defense? There maybe some useful scenarios where that could be a good cartridge. Hard hardball lightweight at high speed could possibly be useful for defense in a REAL shtf scenario.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't think the 10mm is a huge deal, if it's effectively addressed by your attorney(if it comes up). The problem w/ Fish... the Prosecutor was demonizing the 10mm, and his atty' was either inadequately, or was not, addressing it.

IGF

13. grendelbane

grendelbane

As I recall, one juror mentioned the 10mm cartridge. The other 11 might not have thought that was relevant.

It certainly would not have been relevant to me.

A prosecutor will always bang on any point that he thinks will help his case. It is the job of the defense to bang back.

If you have a few years on you, you can remember the stigma that hollow point ammunition carried for quite some time.