Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 240 Posts
Well, Uncle Sam does not allow me to carry while on duty...[no need for smart ass comments....thats how it is]....I do not go places known to be of issue and I am armed otherwise when in my home or off duty and outside my home.

This is as 24/7 as I can get.

A family bonding moment! :) I think it would be kind of cool if something like that happened in our family gatherings.

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
It was kinda cool. We discussed it a lot. A mutual friend I met through Frankie Lee knowing him also carries. I'm gonna suggest we look into forming a local group, or see if one is already active around here.

Well, Uncle Sam does not allow me to carry while on duty...[no need for smart ass comments....thats how it is]....I do not go places known to be of issue and I am armed otherwise when in my home or off duty and outside my home.

This is as 24/7 as I can get.

No comments directed at you.

It's unfortunate that the lesson of Fort Hood was addressed backwards.....

Got my CCP about 6 months ago. Didn't carry much at first until I became "comfortable" with my G23 and put about 200 rounds through it. I have owned a gun for about 6 months and put out about 500 rounds. I'm now carrying 99.9% of the time. Not allowed to carry it at work or even have it in my vehicle at work. Besides that it's on me 24/7. Unfortunately my G23 is in the shop. Don't have a backup yet but that is going to be my next purchase. Looking at a G27.

I got my CCP about 8 or 9 months ago.

I am carrying much more. All weekend. Sometimes week nights.

I cant carry at work, or even have a firearm in my vehicle at work.
That’s different. There are places where I cannot carry as well. You have to weigh your risk versus your return. It doesn’t make it any less of a gamble, but it is nonetheless necessary at times.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
They have a very strict no weapons policy where I work. I don’t carry there. It’s a calculated gamble I’ve accepted. Check your state laws and carefully read your employee handbook. Our policy states that having a firearm in the parking lot provided for employees is strictly forbidden; however, they added wording where that would be different depending on local/state laws. That part of the employee manual is modified by FL law; this allows me to store my gun in the car safe. While I still cannot carry at work, it doesn’t mean I have to make my trip or errands I may run after work unarmed.<o:p></o:p>

As close to 24/7 as possible. :supergrin:

Been in lots of pain since the weather went cold, carry a derringer in my pocket while around the house. :crying:

"Relatively" leaves a lot of room. Bad stuff can happen anywhere. The mall. The Wal*Mart. YOUR CHURCH.
Yes, bad stuff can happen anywhere. A tiger might just jump out of your closet and eat you. But I think you are relatively safe from that most places in the U.S.

Agreed on the shower, etc.

I'm curious, how do you make the determination that a place you are about to go to is safe enough to not carry?
First, most places I go I feel are safe enough to not carry. I would and do try to avoid places where I think it is not safe to go unless I have a gun on me. But with that....
History certainly impacts it, as well as surroundings. For example, I really don't worry about being attacked by someone while I am at the local PD. Now, should the U.S. become more like some other countries, where that area becomes more of a target, I might change that feeling.
What other protections are available? I don't walk around with a gun on me while at home. Guns are available and getting through the perimeter is difficult and will take time. Sure, if someone wants to drive an 18-wheeler through the front window I'm toast, but again, that just isn't very likely.

Basiclly, for me, it involves a simple rational assessment of what the danger to me is, what controls are available, and how much difficulty there is in reducing potential problems.

Yes, bad stuff can happen anywhere. A tiger might just jump out of your closet and eat you. But I think you are relatively safe from that most places in the U.S.
Funny you should say that. Several months ago, I found out a neighbor (about 1/2 mile as the crow flies) has TIGERS! No kidding. I found out because the local news had a story about an ESCAPED TIGER. I live in a semi-rural area (1-acre lots, no HOA). I've been here six years, and I had no idea that tigers resided a very short distance from my house.

Go figure, eh!

First, most places I go I feel are safe enough to not carry. I would and do try to avoid places where I think it is not safe to go unless I have a gun on me. But with that....
History certainly impacts it, as well as surroundings. For example, I really don't worry about being attacked by someone while I am at the local PD. Now, should the U.S. become more like some other countries, where that area becomes more of a target, I might change that feeling.
What other protections are available? I don't walk around with a gun on me while at home. Guns are available and getting through the perimeter is difficult and will take time. Sure, if someone wants to drive an 18-wheeler through the front window I'm toast, but again, that just isn't very likely.

Basiclly, for me, it involves a simple rational assessment of what the danger to me is, what controls are available, and how much difficulty there is in reducing potential problems.

I see. I understand that thinking, really I do. My thoughts are while out in public I just can't see where places are all that secure. It's really sad, but if you listen at all to where crap is going down.... you can't put a rhyme or reason to it, so I don't try. It's an exercise in futility IMO.

I can name a billion examples of places where things "seemed" safe, and all hell broke lose. Happens too many times for me to feel I can make a logical determination.

That said, the local PD might still be one of those few places where I'd feel safe enough.

just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... “Baa.”
:wavey::wavey::wavey:

41 - 60 of 240 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.