close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carrollton PD Sued for Civil Rights Violations

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by wandrson, Mar 10, 2010.

1. wandrson

wandrson

2. Sgt127

Sgt127

Ohhh...yeah...that "I have a concealed handgun license" and then being thrown to the ground sure doesn't look good. Of course, there could have been a few "Why are you F'ing with us?" before that...Maybe, maybe not. Based soley on the video? Who knows. I'm betting the media only played the most anti Police parts they could, time constraints and all, ya know?

As far as the arrest later, I didn't catch whether he already had a case filed and warrants written up when he showed up. If he had warrants out for the previous episode, arresting him would make sense....

Though saying "Hey man, I have a concealed handgun license" when you first speak with the Officer should negate failing to notify them that you indeed, have a concealed handgun license....

We'll see how it plays out.....

3. trifecta

trifecta

Where were the guys hands when he got out of the car? Investigating suspicious activity, man with hand in pocket, gun is discovered, man says he has CHL after officer is hands on, what would he expect to happen? He wasn't injured and once the original suspicious situation was resolved, his firearm was returned and he was sent on his way. That officer is a BIG guy and could damage that guy beyond repair if that was his intent.

If the guy is a car dealer "building a business", why is he conducting his business in a in a random public parking lot?

4. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

One OC'er could have prevented this.

5. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Weren't the officers OC'ing?:supergrin:

6. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Don't ever talk to the police.

7. merlynusn

merlynusn

If they were going to arrest him and take the time to draw up warrants for resist, etc... why in the world would they wait three weeks? Why would they do it only after he is filing a complaint?

That is what doesn't look good. If you are going to arrest someone for something, you already have him detained, why wouldn't you do it then?

There is usually more to the story, but based on what's in the video, it doesn't look good for the officers.

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

But they had badges. To properly OC, you just wear the gun. In CA, you also OC with the gun unloaded.

9. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

IF he had jumped out of the car like that on my traffic stop or one my partner was conducting he'd have found out what the business end of a G21 looks like up close and personal as he was ordered into a compliant position to facilitate a pat down.

I HATE it when people hop on out of their car without warning...scares the crap outta me.

10. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

When you have a CHL you don't pop out of the car and announce, "I've got a concealed gun..." especially after officer's tell you that they received a report that you removed the license plate from the car. Ya think they think you might be up to no good? Do ya?

Yer jes axin to fer bad treatment.

That crap in the station (if true) was puro pinche BS.

11. A6Gator

A6Gator

Especially if it was a 10mm...:supergrin:

12. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Only comment...Hopping out of a car during a stop yelling "I have a permit" is not a good idea. As for the rest of the story...no comment.

13. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I forgot about the part, "We don't need no stinkin badges."

14. TXPoPo

TXPoPo

That is like jumping out and saying "I've got a gun!!!"

15. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  16. badlands99

badlands99

I saw this topic in another area of GT and came in here to find out what the Officers in here have to say about this.

I watched the clip three times and as hard as I try, I can't interpret what the guy did as "jumping" out of the car. Maybe it was a mistake to get out, but he certainly didn't "jump" out.

And if TX is anything like NC, he MUST immediately inform an approaching officer of his concealed carry status, to avoid breaking the law.

Clearly I'm mistaken here, but I would like to think that if I tell an officer "I have a concealed carry permit," accompanied by non threatening body language, then I have not earned a choke hold or a visit with the pavement just yet. If I intended to cause you harm, why would I tell you I have a CCW permit?

Ignoring the fact that getting out of the car was unwise, I'd like to know if that was unlawful.

And in keeping with the theory that nobody hates bad cops more than good cops, I'd really be relieved to hear some of you point out that this is an example of bad police work.

The rest of the story is a no-brainer. The officers on scene returned the weapon, released the guys, etc. and had a good laugh at the citizens expense. Then tried to bully him some more three weeks later. I hope he gets a fat settlement from this.

I'm relatively new here at GT and mostly just lurk, but I'd really like to hear what some of you veteran officers have to say about some of this. Dragoon? Are you out there? I always pay attention when you chime in on a topic.

17. trifecta

trifecta

I would agree on not calling his action "jumping" out of the car. Exiting the vehicle is not illegal. It isn't clear to me if he knew the second officer was on his side of the vehicle. That means the potential was there for him to intend to become a serious threat to the officer on the drivers side. His smart move would have been to stay in the car and inform the officer he was armed. It is not uncommon for an officer to contact a CHL holder around here, and it is nearly always a non event.

There was no choke hold and if you watch, the suspect was not ever slammed with the amount of force that officer had available. That officer is more than capable of lifting that guy off the ground and planting his teeth in the pavement. While not fun for the guy, he was not injured. Why do you suppose the guy chose that moment to mention he had a CHL? Notice where the officers hands are? Listen and watch and decide for yourself if you think oh..maybe the officer had already discovered the gun?

These days the North Dallas suburbs, and really even Dallas have a pretty low tolerance for officers who mess up. That doesn't mean things don't happen but it usually results in time off or termination.

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Right... we have never had thugs come up to us and act normal and friendly and say things to us and then suddenly and violently attack us. Every thug out there announces their intentions to us so we can be prepared to fight.

Not that saying you have a CCW is something of that sort, but we don't know you, we don't know what's in your mind, we certainly don't know if you are telling the truth about having a CCW, we don't know if you are just saying that so we think you are legally carrying so we will relax our guard so you can pop us, we don't know if you are legally carrying a gun but you may have just committed some other crime... I know... I know... but still, CCW'ers can commit crimes like anyone else, including cops.

As for non-threatening gestures... they don't mean anything other than that we are not responding to threats at that moment. One peaceful calm individual who is not exhibiting threatening gestures can just go off and go bonkers on the officer without warning.

We don't let our guard down, never. Too many officers have lost their lives because they were lulled into a false sense of complacency or security by someone with off-putting mannerisms and made the officer think they were harmless and drop their guard.

19. badlands99

badlands99

Thanks for the response.
    I watched a couple more times and I see what you're referring to. I also noticed a couple of other things I didn't recall from the first viewing. It looks as though the guy is complying with a pat down, his arms even appear to be limp as the cop handles him. While his arms are up in the air, it looks as though the cop suddenly slams the guy down into that car. I wonder if the guy suddenly went rigid and that was the cops response, because it just doesn't look good on tape.

The other thing I noticed is that the video has a cut in it during that section. If you watch closely at around 1:23, you'll see an obvious cut. That opens it up for more questions. The clip could have been edited to remove a verbal warning from the cop, or a quick movement by the guy, or some such thing. I was ready to crucify these cops, but I'm withholding judgment until I can see an unedited video.

Now I'm wondering if that clip could have been given to the media by the guys lawyer, edited to remove a section that might weaken his case.

20. badlands99

badlands99

Thank you for your response.
    I was prepared to debate with responses like yours, because what I saw was excessive and unnecessary force, and I was essentially seeking LEO's blessing on that view, but after seeing that the clip has been edited, my BS alarm is sounding and I suspect there's more to the story than what we've been told.