Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my LTC here in TX and carried my G26 gen4 for the first time in public! I really like how easy it is to conceal this particular gun. I hope I never have to use it, but it's there to protect me and my family. I felt excited and safe. How did all of you feel the first time you carried?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had some mixed feelings on the first day:

"... nobody knows, haha!"
"... excuse me, was I printing?"
"... Oh yeah, you bet that's legit... wanna see my PERMIT?!"
"... hhmmm... so this is what a cop feels like..."
".... Hey! you talkin to ME??"
"... You need to calm down and don't look shady"
"... My name is Bond... James... Bond... Go ahead... make my day..."
"... Um what's that lady looking at? Oh crap, I've been made!! Nope, just kidding, no I haven't...carry on, carry on.. don't mind me... I just have a GUN!!! "

A wee bit paranoid as you can see. :D

Congrats and good luck on your license. G26... Excellent choice!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I felt like I was carrying a bag of pot. Even though I had a permit years of being told I was a felon if I carried in Ohio I was still paranoid. For years many LEOs had the position if someone was carrying they were either a cop or a felon.
In Ohio you did under Ohio law had the option for an affirmative defense for carrying a firearm but it would cost you about 3000.00 in court cost and attorney fees after you were arrested and bonded out.
Good cops would mostly run a records check and as long as you weren't doing something wrong and acted right they would just tell you to unload the weapon and put it in the trunk.

·
Elite Member
6,661 Posts
Oh man... first day... I was 21 and looked like I was 16, I've always looked young. Im now 31 and could pass for 21. But on that first day i was scared to death. I had a Glock 27 in a Galco IWB holster. I went to walmart, like everyone else, and just knew that at any moment some lady with a baby in a stroller was going to scream "OMG!!! HE'S GOT A GUN" and everyone was going to run for cover while i was being tackled by an off duty cop and placed in cuffs.

Of course that fear was also being counter acted by a sense of purpose and situational awareness. After a week though i was just left with the situational awareness that i still have to this day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
I was pretty nervous. A lot of posters had mentioned the Wally World Walk and so that’s what I did. The nervousness went away pretty quickly. I wasn’t as smart as you and it took several years for me to discover the concealed carry perfection that is the G26. I wish I had found it years earlier.

Now shoot the crap out of your gun. Practice your draw over and over again at home with an empty gun. Maybe take a class.

Welcome. It’s good to have you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was pretty nervous. A lot of posters had mentioned the Wally World Walk and so that’s what I did. The nervousness went away pretty quickly. I wasn’t as smart as you and it took several years for me to discover the concealed carry perfection that is the G26. I wish I had found it years earlier.

Now shoot the crap out of your gun. Practice your draw over and over again at home with an empty gun. Maybe take a class.

Welcome. It’s good to have you.
Thanks! Yeah I try to hit the range at least once a month and rent the private bay for unholster practice and also dry fire at home.

·
23,078 Posts
Don't remember - too long ago.
Me neither, but the first time I carried a handgun when was I started working construction in some of the worst parts of the city of L.A. and I just did it out of a simple sense of self-preservation.

It was also a decision that was not made lightly because as a commoner and a blue-collar worker I was not able to carry legally in the city of Los Angeles but I weighed the pros against the cons and decided that I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six.

The first time I carried legally after I moved from a slave state to a free state where no free man was debarred the use of arms, I was struck by the irony of the fact that now I could carry legally in a smaller city where the need to carry was much less urgent.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had some mixed feelings on the first day:

"... nobody knows, haha!"
"... excuse me, was I printing?"
"... Oh yeah, you bet that's legit... wanna see my PERMIT?!"
"... hhmmm... so this is what a cop feels like..."
".... Hey! you talkin to ME??"
"... You need to calm down and don't look shady"
"... My name is Bond... James... Bond... Go ahead... make my day..."
"... Um what's that lady looking at? Oh crap, I've been made!! Nope, just kidding, no I haven't...carry on, carry on.. don't mind me... I just have a GUN!!! "

A wee bit paranoid as you can see. :D

Congrats and good luck on your license. G26... Excellent choice!
That's good stuff :)

·
Registered
129,141 Posts
So I finally got my LTC here in TX and carried my G26 gen4 for the first time in public! I really like how easy it is to conceal this particular gun. I hope I never have to use it, but it's there to protect me and my family. I felt excited and safe. How did all of you feel the first time you carried?
Been a long time, but I know I feel naked when I don’t carry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The first time I carried was in my house, to get acclimated with IWB Appendix carry. Did that for about a week, so when I went out I wouldn’t feel self conscious about carrying and think “everybody knows”! I carry a G27 or a G43 (rotating them every couple of days), love shooting these guns, which I do frequently. I seemed to have always had situational awareness, but i’m definitely more acutely aware now that I carry every day. Being a proponent of the 2nd Amendment certainly brings more responsibility. My advise to you is practice often (including dry fire) and don’t draw attention to yourself (gray man philosophy). Congratulations on obtaining your CCW and desiring to protect your loved ones! Carry on and remain calm.

·
US Army Aviation School 1967
210 Posts
was about 6 years ago,in Indianapolis... felt severely underarmed....
did 2 tours in Iraq,last one 2003-4 with 101st ABN DIV.... carried an m-4 then... often feel like doing so now.... but I do love my pistols.
Did my first tour in Vietnam with the 101st. As a pilot our sidearm was a .38 revolver with 6" barrel. Would have rather had a Glock 26.

Got my 26 in 1998 and have carried it ever since. Great concealed carry piece. Carries well in a pocket holster, paddle holster, and IWB holster. Shoots well too. Not something I'd want to be in an extended gunfight with but it does the job as a defensive carry.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.