Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few weeks I'm having surgery on my left wrist (non dominant) for carpal tunnel. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with recovery. The internet varies but seems to be a month minimum. Mind you this is the same internet who's answer to "what's this strange smell coming from my furnace?" was "you have a brain tumor!" :lol:

On the opposite end is the surgeon, who says I should be fine to go back to work in less than a week.

Pharmacy isn't the most physically denanding job, but leaving out the "carry heavy crap from point a to point b" things I do almost daily...the main parts of the job are typing a lot, and twisting open bottles - a lot. Side note...WHY do stock bottles, even bulk size ones, come with childproof caps???

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
My doc told me 6 weeks. However that is a military doc. I've been putting it off for a few years. Getting to the point I may not be able to put it off to much longer.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Didn't have the surgery because my Surgeon asked "are you going to quit doing what caused It? "He said to come back when my job change. Many Surgeons will operate again in a few years when it comes back. He said there is scar tissue from the first surgery and its worse the second time.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't really figure out what caused it in me. I'd say wear and tear catching up with me, but I'm not THAT old (almost 40). I don't know. Been gaming since I was 7, using computers for work and recreation since 17. Opened a LOT of bottles. Done a lot of crushing and mixing of things for compounding. Not a fitness freak, but have done my share of exercises that put strain on the hands. Shoot of course, but again it's the non dominant hand that has it worse (but I do have it in the right too).

Last summer went through a particularly brutal audit, spent weeks going through heavy file boxes and sifting through thousands of paper prescriptions...

I do have short term disability at work but I imagine it's going to be an issue if the doc thinks he's God's gift to surgery, and/or I have a superhuman healing factor and can be fully functional in a week.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, the deed is done, guess we'll see.

Right now I'm 28 hours into a nerve block and my arm is still totally lifeless. I'm thinking unless the pain is unbearable when it wears off I'll opt for the 2nd option they gave me when I have the right hand done (a 4 hour shot in the wrist after I'm already under).

Was pretty surprised to learn i had to go under in the first place TBH. Unlike having my wisdom teeth, where I was blackout a few hours, I woke up in the OR mostly fine. Just a little groggy from the nausea med they have me when the nerve block about made me puke.

BTW - Anyone with experience know what the neck an alcohol pad dropped inside my facemask during that part was supposed to "help?". Was too queasy to say " help what? " and then they put it in there and I really about lost last night's supper...!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
In a few weeks I'm having surgery on my left wrist (non dominant) for carpal tunnel. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with recovery. The internet varies but seems to be a month minimum. Mind you this is the same internet who's answer to "what's this strange smell coming from my furnace?" was "you have a brain tumor!" :lol:

On the opposite end is the surgeon, who says I should be fine to go back to work in less than a week.

Pharmacy isn't the most physically denanding job, but leaving out the "carry heavy crap from point a to point b" things I do almost daily...the main parts of the job are typing a lot, and twisting open bottles - a lot. Side note...WHY do stock bottles, even bulk size ones, come with childproof caps???
i had to have BOTH hands done, way back in late winter/early spring of 1999. each was done at about 2 weeks apart. the recovery time for me was about 4 weeks total for each hand. (i was about to lose my health benefits, and the doctor worked with me to get them done)

the only thing you "may have" to be concerned about is whether or not depending on your nationality (country where your grand parents came from), is that some nationalities, develop "lumps" in the palm area. these never go away.

(i believe those from Portugal and France have this issue)

other than that, if that is of no concern, then go for it.

the prep time, and post-op time waking up, take longer than the operation itself.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I can't really figure out what caused it in me. I'd say wear and tear catching up with me, but I'm not THAT old (almost 40). I don't know. Been gaming since I was 7, using computers for work and recreation since 17. Opened a LOT of bottles. Done a lot of crushing and mixing of things for compounding. Not a fitness freak, but have done my share of exercises that put strain on the hands. Shoot of course, but again it's the non dominant hand that has it worse (but I do have it in the right too).

Last summer went through a particularly brutal audit, spent weeks going through heavy file boxes and sifting through thousands of paper prescriptions...

I do have short term disability at work but I imagine it's going to be an issue if the doc thinks he's God's gift to surgery, and/or I have a superhuman healing factor and can be fully functional in a week.
repetition causes this, in most cases. secretaries used to get it all the time, for all the typing they do.

but in my earlier life, i was a mechanic, so the constant wrench turning, screw driver usage, etc...repetition moves.

·
Registered
672 Posts
So, the deed is done, guess we'll see.

Right now I'm 28 hours into a nerve block and my arm is still totally lifeless. I'm thinking unless the pain is unbearable when it wears off I'll opt for the 2nd option they gave me when I have the right hand done (a 4 hour shot in the wrist after I'm already under).

Was pretty surprised to learn i had to go under in the first place TBH. Unlike having my wisdom teeth, where I was blackout a few hours, I woke up in the OR mostly fine. Just a little groggy from the nausea med they have me when the nerve block about made me puke.

BTW - Anyone with experience know what the neck an alcohol pad dropped inside my facemask during that part was supposed to "help?". Was too queasy to say " help what? " and then they put it in there and I really about lost last night's supper...!!
i was wide awake during my 2 operations. numbed up, and i was talking with the doctor.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The nerve block mostly wore off night before last to where I could move my arm again. Still not much pain. The tingling is still there in my thumb, index finger and middle finger but they said it could take time for the nerve to heal.

Now to watch the Blue Cross site to get an idea of the damage there...

Reactions: treg

·
Daca is caca
3,741 Posts
I had it done and it came back.
Good luck

Reactions: Grayson

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Having done hundreds and hundreds with minimal incision and endoscopic methods
My surgeon patient and my patients who are self employed in the trades are back to surgery in a week no therapy at all

Worker's comp people milk it for 3 months ,and demands three times per week occupational therapy which has been shown to actually slow recovery in one study compared to just letting the patient use his hand.

Reality bites, and rapidity of recovery depends on motivation in many cases.

·
NRA Patron Member
903 Posts
There is a new type surgery out now. Very few surgeons are doing it, and not everyone is a candidate for it. Microscopic surgery. My wife had it done just a few months ago. Less than an inch incision, and she was back to work after one week. If your doctor is doing that type of surgery you will be fine.

·
NRA Patron Member
903 Posts
"Ultrasound-guided carpal tunnel release surgery using a Sonex MicroKnife" is what my wife had. Her only restriction was not lifting over ten pounds for a week. No down time. Find doctor who does this type of surgery. Not everyone is a candidate for this new type of surgery, but if you are it is the only way to go.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The nerve block mostly wore off night before last to where I could move my arm again. Still not much pain. The tingling is still there in my thumb, index finger and middle finger but they said it could take time for the nerve to heal.

Now to watch the Blue Cross site to get an idea of the damage there...
it has been said, that the longer one takes to get the operation, the more nerve damage is done. and "on average", it takes about one month, per inch of nerve damage to return to what will be considered as normal.

so as an example, if your arm measures about 24" from your finger tips, to your shoulder, then it would take (roughly) 24 months to recoup your nerves to a near normalcy.

so obviously, if one has carpal tunnel better get it checked ASAP and the operation ASAP.

there is a point of NO RETURN for the nerves to recover, if you wait too long

i was lucky enough that the damage to my nerves was only about 9 to 11 months to recover, as i got the operation quickly, before the damage had time to travel any further up my arms.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,564 Posts
I have it in both wrist/hands. Got when I worked, but its worse now. I'm sueing GT for my keyboard time.

Reactions: BOOSTED12A

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Ultrasound-guided carpal tunnel release surgery using a Sonex MicroKnife" is what my wife had. Her only restriction was not lifting over ten pounds for a week. No down time. Find doctor who does this type of surgery. Not everyone is a candidate for this new type of surgery, but if you are it is the only way to go.
Sounds expensive, but maybe a much better option...

so obviously, if one has carpal tunnel better get it checked ASAP and the operation ASAP.

there is a point of NO RETURN for the nerves to recover, if you wait too long
I'm glad I was able to get diagnosed and operated on pretty quick, with only a minimal delay due to corona restrictions. Was pretty gung to to get it done asap, I worried that if I put it off too long after restrictions eased, we might get a second wave of covid and ANOTHER cancellation of "elective" surgeries.

Reactions: buddyd157

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are making me afraid to get any older...
Probably won't make you feel better to know I'm only in my late 30s...;)

Oh yeah. So I was in a surgical mask from the time I walked in till the time I left. Right before the op they started with the Happy Juice and began my nerve block. Now keeping the Happy Juice in mind: seems like they had a bit if trouble doing the nerve block. And it made me REALLY nauseous. Think they gave me Benadryl, which helped. They also stuck a daggone open alcohol pad in my mask around my nose. Between the drugs and trying not to hurl, I never asked them what that was about...???

·
Registered
11,557 Posts
I was back in a week but I was self employed and needed income. I did irrigation work for a living. I was also carrying plywood and doing all kinds of crap.

The surgeon told me I wouldn’t damage anything but it may take longer to recover. Over five years later I’m still good to go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts