Carol King

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Berto, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Berto

Berto woo woo

You ever have one of those moments when someone just strikes you as amazing?

I listen to pretty much anything from Pig Destroyer to Pink Floyd, Lyle Lovett to Leviathan....just saw Children of the Revolution play a couple nights ago.

I was just perusing through some old music and came across Carol King's "Tapestry"

Awesome. I know it was a huge album and everything, but man that chick wrote so many songs for artist besides what we mostly know as 'hers'.
    Great voice, style, writing and a great performer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. Halojumper

Halojumper

That one is indeed a classic!

3. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

One of my favorite singer slash songwriters. Shame about her politics.

4. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Was one of my favorite albums when I was a kid. I listened to it over and over again on my parents console stereo. I hear she and James Taylor and touring together.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I used to hear some Carole King stuff on the radio in the 70s, but I didn't really listen to it. I was more into Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, and hard rock.

It wasn't until the 10,000 Maniacs and Natalie Merchant, that I purposely began to buy albums outside of the hard rock genre.

And one day, around 2005, I decided to buy Carole King's Tapestry, after my wife pointed out to me how many songs it had on it that I actually knew.

At the same time I was self-learning piano for fun (still self-learning it).

Those old 70s songs aren't on the radio much anymore, but wow, they are good songs. And they lend themselves nicely to the piano. By that I mean, there is a melody that can be played. Melodies that I know, because they were just white noise on 70s radio of my youth.

But they are no longer white noise, because I'm now actually listening to them, and not just changing the channel to find the hard rock stuff.

Something like that :) Guess it means I'm old:rofl:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  6. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Wow!!! I haven't even heard anyone mention Carol King, in years!

"Tapestry" was a very good album. I think my wife has the 'vinyl' around here, somewhere.

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Care to expand? I popped in "Tapestry" again before posting this. HH

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Carol King = better songwriter than singer.

She wrote many songs that I love, but I don't care much for her singing.

9. dkbrucedvm

dkbrucedvm

I have Tapestry on vinyl, and never get tired of it. She had a real knack for making it all sound easy. I hear the songs, and think "Well, of course that's what comes next..." - the words and melody just flow.

Probably not that easy when you try to do it yourself...

10. Climb14er

Climb14er

A prolific songwriter, take a look sometime at the number of hit songs she either wrote or co-wrote. An absolutely amazing legacy!

I can't even put down on paper the great hits... you'll have to check 'em out and play 'em on youtube.

One of my favorites by the Everly Brothers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz0Sscke9z4

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I can't believe I'm gonna admit this in a public forum, but I have Tapestry as well.

12. Mr. Niceguy

Political and Environmental Activism
    After relocating to Idaho in 1977, King became involved in environmental issues. Since 1990 she has been working with the Alliance for the Wild Rockies and other groups towards passage of the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act (NREPA). King has testified on Capitol Hill three times on behalf of NREPA: in 1994, 2007 and again in 2009.[21][22]

King is also politically active in the United States Democratic Party. In 2003 she began campaigning for John Kerry, performing in private homes for caucus delegates during the Democratic primaries. On July 29, 2004, she made a short speech and sang at the Democratic National Convention, about two hours before Kerry made his acceptance speech for the Democratic nomination for President. King continued her support of Kerry throughout the general election.

In 2008, King appeared on the March 18th episode of The Colbert Report, touching on her politics once more. She stated that she was supporting Hillary Clinton and mentioned that the choice had nothing to do with gender. She also expressed that she would have no issues if Barack Obama were to win the election. Before the show's conclusion, she returned to the stage to perform "I Feel the Earth Move."

13. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Good for her, and us..
    <<deep Rocky Mountain resident. HH

14. Mr. Niceguy

I was referring to the latter.

15. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I've got "Tapestry" on half-speed mastered vinyl, playing as I type this. Wonderful album without being overproduced. Producer Lou Adler took a hands off approach and let the artist do her thing.

16. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

In every election since 1791, the majority has elected someone that 49% of the electorate hates. I can deal with that. That's the system. HH

17. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

There are talented people and then there are TALENTED PEOPLE. Who gives a rat's rearend about her politics. Bunch of whiners.

"She wrote her first #1 hit at the age of 17 in 1959 with Gerry Goffin, "Will You Love Me Tomorrow." "

Tapestry was #1 for 15 weeks and stayed on the chart for SIX YEARS.

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Isn't she Burger's sister?

19. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Have to admit that I'm old enough to remember the album, and have it on vinyl that I haven't touched in years, but can't make myself throw out.

Her daughter, Lousie Goffen, put out a couple or few albums, but never hit it big, although I bought the "Kid Blue" one years ago just for the album cover.

While Carol King is a good singer / song writer, I still think Carly Simon is better. (and who can forget the cover of "Playing Possum"!:wow:)

Those legs really helped boost sales for sure! Look what the kids downloading e-tunes miss out on...no cover art now a days.

20. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

She reminds me a lot of Little Eva.