CARMAX Would you buy a car from them?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DAKA, Jan 20, 2020.

1. norton

norton

I have a buddy who is an excellent mechanic. He is always buying cars that need repair. Trouble is, they always need something. Cars are incredibly complicated any more. You are welcome to all the used cars on the market.

2. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Buying a slightly used BMW or Mercedes with low miles is exactly what I do and it's incredibly wise.

Avoiding that massive depreciation that german (and most other) autos take in the first couple years is a financially sound move.

My point is, just because a person buys used doesn't mean they're young and poor... not by a long shot.

Eddy Current and larry_minn like this.

3. norton

norton

Yeah, I'm sure that if you can find low mileage cars at the top of the food chain they are most likely well cared for.
    My buddy buys stuff like Kia's and he has a Saturn. He buys cars and fixes them for his wife and sometimes his adult children.

cbetts1 and Joshhtn like this.
  4. DAKA

DAKA

Young and Poor, no, ¨not by a long shot¨, but I want to avoid the first owner depreciation, I´ll probably look at a dozen or more of what I´ḿ looking for before buying...
    I´ll give the cars a really good ¨looking over" then a long test ride, then have it on a lift before I decide...

5. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I like the under 10k miles, couple yrs old. AZ car but “dad” had to quit driving, family needs $$ vs newer car,suv...
    I use new car pricing to decide if it’s a deal.
    Your friend. Maybe his kids so hard on cars it’s not worth getting them something nice?
    There are a few folks who love their Saturn. 250k with minimal maintenance. My sis wishes she could buy another.
    But to be fair the car before while it only lasted half as long was in 3 solid accidents. Many of her issues IMO were related to being hit, bent, bent back... engine, trans, all were good.
    When I can save 30% I can handle used.

What I have trouble with is family with junk car. No working ac, heater, doors loose.... when I find 6 yr old same unit “because they loved it” same deal “owner had to quit driving”40k miles cheap. “I am not looking”
    So when it dies they have to buy today. I’m the (park old unit when spring comes if it’s reliable. Wash it well, take insurance off. Drive newer. The spare is there if needed.

6. Dave514

Dave514

:cow:

7. ray9898

ray9898

I have never bought from CarMax but I always use them to compare to others in the market. You can always count on them offering the very best selections in the used car market. Their prices are generally higher than other dealers but they also do not play they exorbitant dealer fee game either so it evens some of it out. We bought last summer and it was the norm around metro Atlanta for dealer fees to be near $800 and no one wants to discuss that info until they get you in front of them. Getting an out the door price before visiting the dealership was like pulling teeth even dealing with the internet sales departments.

I am very patient when buying cars and usually take up to a month to find the right one. We finally found the exact model we were looking for in the trim and condition we wanted, specifically one year old and under 30k miles, at a dealer where it had been on the lot for 2 months. We ended up at what I think was a great price. It was $4k lower out the door than the cheapest identical model from CarMax and around $6k lower than what I would call their average for those models.

cbetts1 likes this.
  8. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

:ender:

9. Dave514

Dave514

:bunny:

10. DAKA

DAKA

They do seem to have a very good warranty available something like 5 years for about $3,000 ..and you can cancel after a number of years and get a refund
    Quick look at the coverage mentions all items covered, mainly not "wear" items.
    I didn't buy the car yet so I have not fully investigated...

11. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

While I never used their warranty, it is easy to cancel.

The reason I canceled it is because I work on my own cars, and that's a no-go for their warranty, even for routine maintenance... Being a 3rd party warranty (Maxcare) and not factory, Magnuson-Moss doesn't apply.

12. Bradd D

Bradd D

I'm on my fifth car from them.

13. Vito

Vito

I bought two cars from them for my son, both in cash and they didn't bat an eye. They do seem high priced for what they sell, but my experience is that the cars they sell are always in very good condition, clean as new, and the money back guarantee is unique in the used car business. I also like their policy of offering any car within their system and bringing that car to the Carmax dealership that you want to deal with. The no negotiation policy means that the price you see is the price you will pay. For the person who does not want the normal negotiating hassle with a car dealer, this firm price policy means that the buyer knows that they did not pay a penny more than anyone else would have ended up paying for that car. Overall, buying from them was the easiest process I have ever encountered in buying a car, new or used. I would definitely consider using them in the future if I were ever to buy a used car.

skyfall likes this.
  14. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

IMPO, there isn't a USED car dealer on the planet that can be completely trusted. Not a single one. There's ALWAYS something wrong with it... Again, IMPO...

15. 308M1A

308M1A

I went to get a bid from them on a Toyota 4 runner and they were the lowest bid of 4 others from various sources.

I ended up selling it for at LEAST 5000.00 more than carmax offered.

They are the last i would do business with.

16. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

No, I'm too old fashioned I guess. I want to be lied to to my face. In person.

(Typing this while waiting for salesman to plead my case with the sales manager. ;) )

17. larry_minn

Good luck. My dad taught me the walk away is where you get your best deal. The sales guy is (likely) talking golf. While killing time.
    Write a note. “Had to go. Let me know if we have a deal by (a hour) if not by (6:30) my offer is done”
    When they call “I’m with John at competition” and let him talk to that sales guy. (I never used that one because I normally deal over time)
    I have set my watch. From start. “I can spend 90 minutes. If we can’t get it done in that. Maybe another day”
    If I’m buying this week. They better realize me driving to another dealer is zero issue.
    But I prefer private owners.

18. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

It once took me two years to buy a truck, but I did got a good deal and the dealer made his money.

Best buy I ever had on a truck (back in 1986) was pure happenstance. The car lot offered the guy X amount for a trade in. I overheard him and the salesman going on and on about the trade value. Once he was convinced, by them, his truck was only worth X, I walked over and offered him X plus $200, cash, we settled on X plus $350.

Sweetest vehicle deal I've ever made.

larry_minn likes this.
  19. larry_minn

I was tempted on “cash for clunkers”. Guy was bothered his suv would be vandalized. Dealer said he couldn’t offer much more then program. Guy kept saying “but I maintained it to letter, we need a Berger mpg car”. I almost offer $6k.

20. lexibilly

lexibilly

I’ve looked a few times, but their prices are higher than everybody else around here.