close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Careflight/AirAmbulance question

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by jmg, Nov 25, 2006.

1. jmg

jmg UCantFixStupid

I searched, but didn't find anything, so I figured I just post my question--

How does Careflight/AirAmbulance get activated?

I heard a Careflight helicopter land not more than 200 ft from my house late one evening last week. I didn't hear a 'crash'. I got to thinking: Does the helicopter get scrambled automatically, or just for certain criteria?
    (ie children involved, freeway speed MVA's, etc?)

Or does the first LEO call in for a helicopter IF the wreck looks 'bad enough'?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

The on scene Medic used to make the call when I was in the business.
    He would call dispatch and tell them to get the bird in the air.

3. jmshady

jmshady

For us it is the first person that is on scene to ask for it. We will put the aircraft on stand-by alot of times en route and then when the officers, fire rescue personell get there they can go ahead and fly it. I would rather have to turn it around then have to ask for it and wait for the warm up period to fly.

4. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

At my dept we activate Careflite while enroute if the info dispatch gives us. Ususally we will put them on "standby" so that they can be ready to go if we need them.

It's better to call them and not need them, than to not call them and need them.

5. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

'Round here the state EMS has protocols for trauma referral, if the patient meets the criteria they get sent. If avaiation would make a difference in how fast they get there we call. To be honest for some patients I may not be able to put my finger on why I am sending them other than mechanism, but that is one of the criteria for referral. I have had a patient that I just though needed to go because of how he looked and followed up on him later on, he had a tear in his aorta (AKA he would have died anywhere but a trauma center). If any of this doesn't make sense I am PUI. (Posting under the influence)

6. jmg

jmg UCantFixStupid

Thanks, guys. I figured they were put on alert, then called off rather than called late in the process.

7. TxFire

TxFire

In my dept it is up to the medics on the call. If there is sufficient notes we will place them on Stand-by or even call for a launch while we are still enroute. Otherwise it is a scene determination. If we will have an extended extrication from an MVC with significant mechanism of injury we may call for Careflight. On a call with out extrication issues and depending upon the Helo's location, scene conditions, and traffic consideration we may just load and go as the time would be close to even.
    There was a call last shift of 2yo hit by car, PD was first on scene and called for Careflight prior to FD arrival. FD disregarded Careflight after arrival as it was a blunt trauma CPR.

8. fireguy129

fireguy129

Our medics make the final word, but if the fire chief or police can describe why they need them (entrapment, death in same vehicle, intrusion more than 12", rollover, mst etc) they'll have them fly. We see them a lot, we just got a bird with a 8 minute eta to my first due. Sometimes we're pulling in and they're circling the lz. Second bird is about 25 minutes out.

9. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

We can be requested by PD, FD, or EMS. Many times we are put on stand-by, and our protocols dictate if the requestor is greater than 15 miles away, we launch. I would rather be cancelled enroute to the scene, than be called once eyes are on the patient. Ideally, say at an MVA with an extrication, we land as the pt is being removed from the vehicle, and we are in-and-out.

We also do "Medical scenes" for AMI, CVA, etc..., as many of our EMS services have a significant distance to a tertiary care facility, and the time to cath lab or thrombolytics is paramount to the pt.

10. k9medic

k9medic

I'm assigned to a FD based program. We are dispatched just like a engine or an ambulance. Most of the time we are on scene before our LZ engine is. From tone out to launch is usually less than 5 minutes. Our longest ETA to anywhere in the county is less than 10 minutes. We only fly scene calls. No hospital based stuff. Cardiac, trauma and stroke alerts get flown as well as medic request.

The truth is that "stand by" generally only means that the pilot has checked the weather.

11. Glkster19

Glkster19

No it doesn't! It means that you pull the aircraft out of the hangar if it's inside, all get in and fire up the engines just in case they call. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

At least that's how we do it. :rofl:

12. k9medic

k9medic

My mistake:laughabove:

I lose count how many times we go on "standby"

FWIW here our response times over the past few flights

Received: Enroute (in the air): On Scene:
    9:39 9:43 9:51
    19:39 19:43 Cancelled
    17:06 17:08 17:15
    23:34 23:36 23:41

For us, the concept of "put them on stand by" so they can get here faster may not always apply.

For Gruntmediks program, they are much farther from a scene, so it makes sense.

13. jmg

jmg UCantFixStupid

Thanks for all the replies! I had a feeling that if I saw CareFlite, it wasn't a good thing (a poor 'prognostic indicator' of how severe the call is).

Take care and stay safe, guys.