Cardio thoughts and suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by BCR, Sep 6, 2007.

1. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Ok folks, with winter sneaking up on us I need a little cardio game plan. But there are numerous restrictions LOL.

It needs to be indoors, as I am not a winter person.

It also can't include any high jumping because my basement has a low ceiling (sucks bigtime!)

It needs to be very low impact as I am still doing a 4 day powerlifting routine and need to recuperate.

My plan was to do shallow burpee routine mixed with super light weightlifting. Like empty bar high rep benching, squatting, military presses, bent rows etc. Maybe 3 sets of 20 reps of 4-5 exercises with no rest. Like circuit training.

But since some of you are into Crossfit and Ross Enemait's stuff maybe there are some funky exercises out there I don't know about that fit my criteria.

2. DBradD

DBradD Guest

A few exercises for your consideration:

Mountain climbers. This should be a staple because it's very low impact and gets blood flowing in a REAL hurry.

Grasshoppers.

Med ball slams.

Thrusters, if your ceiling is high enough.

Divebomber or hindu pushups.

Burpee without the jump, or with a low jump, arms down. Moderate impact, though.

Squat thrusts.

Burps. The bottom half of a burpees, IIRC. Just don't stand back up.

Jumprope? Doing it sprint-style, alternating feet, high knees is killer. So are double-unders. Moderate to high impact, although I don't usually require much recovery from these. Anti-fatigue mat seems to help with this. Also depends on your ceiling of course.

The low impact / recovery need makes it much harder. I'm in kinda the same boat for a different reason. Otherwise, you could add bodyweight squats and pushups in there and really be set. I find it much more difficult to stay healthy when I'm combining strength and conditioning. For example, my knees will have taken a beating doing squats or pistols, next day I'm gonna do a circuit with bodyweight squats or running? I grind down and hurt myself so far when I try that. Before I found CF, I basically did Never Gymless' strength routine (although didn't know it) and never had the first ache or pain. Then again, I could sneeze and hurt myself over the last few months, LOL.

When I create my own workouts, I like to line up 3-4 exercises making sure one of them requires some explosiveness (you could delete this) and do max rounds in 20 min. The number of reps is selected to be submax, maybe 1/2-3/4 my max so that I keep moving and don't stall out very much. I like that better than 3 rounds for time because it's hard to judge a workout--it might only take me 5 min. or it could be unrealistic altogether (lol, sounds like most of CF's workouts for me).

You might select some of the CF girls as workouts. Some of them might fit your requirements. There are scaled ones at brandx martial arts. Depending on your conditioning, you might do the full-blown workout or start with the ones called "puppies" or "pansies" or whatever. :rofl: There's a link somewhere on CF's site.

Yet another idea: www.simplefit.org has some workouts that might work well for your goal. I think they require almost no equipment.

3. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

Put on some music that GETS you going

Use some weights, I use five pounders in each arm, and 3-5 lb ankle weights.

Walk or jog or move in place for 30-40 minutes, you should break a decent sweat.

add some Stretching, pushups, situps, and a balanced diet, and you should be good to go.

if you have any health issues, CHECK with your doctor before you start any exercise plan.

keep us posted.

4. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Thanks Brad.

I forgot about Mountain Climbers and Squat Thrusts. I'm ashamed I forgot them because I did about a b'zillion of them at Parris Island!

Med ball slams might be possible too, but I can't extend my arms over my head all the way due to the ceiling.

Jumping rope is a no-go too. Stupid ceiling.

I'll check out the simplefit link too.

I'd really like to get a nice stationary bike, but my basement is too full of equipment now. It would help my biking in the warmer months too.

5. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I think walking or jogging in place for 30 minutes would bore me to death.

I don't believe in stretching anymore as I'd done it for years after weight lifting. I recently stopped stretching and noticed absolutely no difference at all. I actually feel better.

Sit ups are out because I already train abs twice a week, once on a slant board and once with weights.

Push ups might be ok, but they always bothered my shoulders, which are already beat up from Bench pressing twice a week.

6. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

based upon your criteria you asked for help, I offered , and now you shoot down my advice.

gee,

I'm done with this thread.

7. DBradD

DBradD Guest

This is the exact dilemma that one faces when trying to work in cardio + strength.

CrossFit folks just do the exercise again anyway, something that doesn't work for me--I'm too delicate. I never counted, but I think there were weeks when I did pullups (above the 20-40 already in every day's warmup) almost every day.

Mountainclimbers and a few of those execises I mentioned don't beat up any particular muscle group too badly. I tend to focus more on that approach: select conditioning exercises that are different from my strenght ones. They fail your indoor criterion, but I find tht bear crawl and crab walk are fantastic in this regard. Both beat up arms a little, but not too badly.

WRT Pushups: I find that divebombers or hindu pushups are totally different. Regular ones tend to make my shoulders ache also. Strangely enough, I've found that hindu pushups are almost like therapy. My shoulders feel much better when I do them. Not sure if others have the same result. Might be worth a try.

8. Wackmaster

Wackmaster

Work in some heavy bag training. If that's too high impact simply shadow box. I think the key to keeping shadow boxing interesting, or at least less boring, is to make a real effort at imagining an opponent; not just going through the motions. Don't forget defense too. Mix in some kicks, knees and elbows if you're familiar with those techniques.

9. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

LOL! He told you Brad! Took the ball and went home! Didn't you realize that his way is the only right way. How dare you!

That said, the only thing I can say is you need to fork over some more gym cash and get you a C2. Maybe you could save some money and pick it up rather than pay for shippping, they're somewhere up in the NE area near you.

Jack

10. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I really like that idea. Soooo much simpler.

11. California Jack

Thanks for the validation DBD. You really need to stop thinking like a poor college student. :)

But if BCR doesn't buy a C2, well then, I'll never post in this thread again!:rofl:

12. DBradD

DBradD Guest

:rofl: :rofl: And...one bad word about mountainclimbers and I'll never post here either! If he P's TurboRocket, proactive, and walcott off, then he'll be completely out of potential contributors to the thread.

So I take it that you like your C2? Is that meshing with your strength training very well? Seems like it would.

13. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Crap! I gave my heavy bag away. Thats actually a decent idea though.

Shadow boxing sounds fun, but I might get my butt kicked. LOL:supergrin:

14. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Jack and Brad,

What's a C2? I have no idea.

Brad,

Whats the best type of ball for slams? The leather ones or rubber ones? Any idea what weight I might choose?

Sorry for this aggressive response, please don't leave my thread.:tongueout:

15. DBradD

DBradD Guest

C2 = Concept 2 Rower

As for the medball, I'm not sure what most people use. I bought a ball from a sporting goods store and it didn't work at all because it bounced too much. I made a medball by slitting a very cheap rubber basketball about 4" (X-shape, but that seemed to be a mistake--should've just made a line) and stuffing it with sand as tight as it'd go. Then put 3 rolls of duck brand duct tape around it. I started with one roll and it exploded after a few slams. My ball weighs 25 lb, so it's pretty heavy. A smaller basketball could be used and would be lighter of course, if speed would be more desired. In Ross' youtube videos, it looks to me like he's using about a 10 lb ball and going very fast. I really don't know which is better. Of course it is possible to buy a ball, but they're very expensive. Just be careful to buy one that won't bounce much. I think some are made for this.

Here's a workout idea. I think it's max rounds in 20 min.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjaTd_ZemkQ

16. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I'll have to search around on the Ross site.

I found a few threads on the home made basketball/med ball. But I really don't see how they wouldn't explode eventually.

On a few sites a 10lb med ball is around $40 plus shipping. Kinda steep. Maybe the local gym shop has them.

TKO seems to make nice leather and rubber ones.

17. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I'll let you know if I'm still slamming it in a few years! I think that's why it takes 3 rolls of good tape. It's pretty darn strong with 3 rolls. I was looking for a 20+ lb one and they're very expensive. The ones I found were closer to $100.

There's another way to make a basketball medball if you're very handy and like messing around with stuff like that. Do a google for The Slammer or something like that. Somebody has a way of using car tire repair kits and epoxy to seal the hole. Looked to me like that would take at least half a day to make.

18. California Jack

Try here BCR........ http://www.concept2.com/us/default.asp

DBD, not sure if it is detrimental or not. I haven't used it in a week or 2 I was have some overtraining issues. Dayum I'm old.

19. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I haven't even posted in this thread and you guys have pissed me off. I'm outta here....

Just kidding. :supergrin:

My vote would be add in a Fran workout (see CrossFit). Basically it is 21-15-9 reps alternating between 95 lb. thrusters and pull-ups. Do it for time. Hard-core CrossFit freaks are doing it in 3 minutes. I'm not below 5.5 minutes yet but it is still a killer workout. Angie, Cindy, and Linda are the other staple metcon workouts I like. Here's a reference for all of "the Girls" workouts.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html

Med/slam ball: I made my own with a cheapy playground basketball. I didn't cut it open though. I drilled a small hole in it, made a funnel by cutting a small corner out of a ziplock bag, and then filled it with sand. Stick in a good DVD and squat yourself in front of the TV because it takes a while. It weighs 23 lbs.

Then I took it to Goodyear and they plugged it like a tire. I asked them to slap extra contact cement on it. They even did it for free. It works great and even holds air, to give it some bounce. So far, no duct tape needed. The only thing is it leaks air, but not from the plugged hole. The air lasts enough for a session so pumping it up every time I have to use it isn't too bad. Next time, I may pump half a can of fix-a-flat in it first before I even drill the hole.

C2: definitely get one, especially if you can pick up one used on Craigslist.

20. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I did pick up a med ball over the weekend.

Walmart had a decent rubber 8lb one. It was under $15. Seems to be ok so far.

The sporting good stores around me only had the hard med balls that feel like a small basketball. They were nice but had too much bounce.

The Fran workout is probably a no-go due to the pullups. I already work back and lats twice a week.

Oops, I just shot down your idea. PLEASE don't head for the hills. ;)