close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carbonite online backup? Anybody using it?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I did a search and found a few replies. I understand it's easy to backup my data on an external drive, but if my house burns down so will my external drive.

I'm just looking for views on Carbonite.

2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    I finally went with it when there was a special last year.

Took about 40 days to fully back up my massive data (10 years of digital photos).

Very easy to use (mark drives, folders, files for backup).

3. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

OP- Very good point for the service.

Me- I carry a 250 gig HD with me in my travels as a back up/back up. And some times I might run into someone that would have a video or file I would need so I can then get it from them.

Good posting.

Add- Oh, I have to mention that the 250 drive is not very full. I think it will take a long time to fill. When it does, I would just bump up to a 500 gig or whatever fits the bill.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  4. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I have used it for a couple of years. Flawless. Fully automatic, and when rebuild time comes, it couldn't be easier.

5. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Do they limit the number of drives you can backup or number of PC's per account? Can you backup a network accessible drive with Carbonite? I currently have a network accessible drive for backup for 2 laptops and would like to back that drive up to Carbonite or a similar service.

6. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

80G of data x 8 bits = 640,000,000,000

@10 Mbit data rate = 64,000 seconds = 1,066 minutes = ~18 hours. .

7. JJS

JJS RIP Col.Moroney

Great service and very affordable.

8. Sandbag

Sandbag Chief-Rocker

I don't use Carbonite, but I have installed Mozy and BackBlaze for customers.
    Had to recover a system using BackBlaze last week. They all work great.

even if you are backing up to an external drive its a good idea to use an online
    backup for redudancy. My client had a full back up on a external raid. The software
    company that remotely controled his system to attempt to fix their own software didn't recognize the drive as a raid and deleted the entire contents (don't ask my why or how!). Luckily he had everything backed up on BackBlaze as well. Best $50 he ever spent!

9. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Since I'm about as intelligent as Homer Simpson when it comes to computers, how does it work? I've gone to the Carbonite site but I don't understand if it just backs up you whole harddrive, operating system and all? Or is it just specific files that you designate?

I'm on a Macbook but I see they do support it.

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

First you capture an intergalactic smuggler and give him his first change of clothes in almost 2 movies. Be sure he does NOT say he loves some chippy before he's backed up. "I know" is the most he's allowed to say. After that, you hand the operation over to some trolls and the rest is pretty automatic.

Jedi drives will NOT be Carbonite'd easily. FYI.

11. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I installed Mozy for a customer because they have the option for a hard drive or dvd to be shipped to you.

However, I have a customer who's sister successfully restored a downed computer with Carbonite.

12. sbhaven

sbhaven

There are fireproof (really fire resistant) external hard drives available.
    https://iosafe.com/solo-rugged-external-hard-drive
    Costco has an ioSafe external HD on sale this month.
    Off site data backup is good but if one has a slow upload speed it will take a very long time for data backup. And if you have an Internet provider who limits total download/upload than you could run over the cap limit. Also consider that if you loose your hard drive completely how do you restore the off site data onto the new hard drive?

Another option is to get an external drive, use software like Acronis True Image for backing up and then store the external drive at family members house.

13. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Depending on how mission critical your data is. I run my business from home. If my computers are stolen, flooded, burned, tornadoed etc I'd be out of business. Hence the need for me for off-site. A fireproof HD only protects against fire... maybe. But how well does it stand up to the top floor of my house falling on it, then being inundated with water from the fire department.

As for data volume. All these off-site backup systems can be customized to back up only your data files. Which should cut down on traffic. In addition, they only back up all files the first time. After that only incremental changes are uploaded. So unless you are changing massive files constantly it won't be an issue.

Currently I'm using DropBox as an offline backup. I put all of my important documents/files into a dropbox folder. Dropbox syncs all my files to all of my machines, and keeps everything online as well.

14. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Just signed up for Carbonite. It's already working. Man that was easy.

Thanks guys.

15. Bucky69

Bucky69 True Gravity

Roger to the Carbonite. Works great.

16. dreis454

dreis454

tagged for updates

17. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

our office uses carbonite to back up our images and PDF files. Granted we only have about 6gigs of data, that is still a ton of files. We also do onsite backup, but for reasons already mentioned, off-site is good too.