Carbines (ps90/uzi)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by themighty9mm, Dec 29, 2009.

1. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

So I was wanting to get another AR15 (sold mine a few years back) Then I relized in my local area (30-45 min any direction) I only have access to 1 shooting range that allows rifles and the range is garbage at best. I still want a rifle though.
    So my next best option is a pistol caliber carbine. I used to own a beretta cx4, and it was very nice, used my beretta mags I aleady had, very accurate, sucked up ammo like crazy. A very good gun, very ergnomic for me.
    The down side was they are cheaply made. (this was before any after market triggers ect) Not the quality I expected from beretta. Almost the entire fire control group was flimsy plastic. While I never had a problem with it and it never failed, I did not feel I could trust it 100%. To much plastic in the design. And not just plastic but flimsly very cheap plastic. Like the kinda plastic you get in a pizza hut box to keep the box from being crushed.
    Now I am thinking FN ps90. From what I have read the 5.7x28 ammunition is very light weight and very fast. It sounds like it is comparable to 9mm in performance, except it has kevlar penatration capabilities, shoots flatter, and can make effective shots even further. And with the tumble effect giving the rough same effect as 9mm on soft tissue. Also my range has a 2000 FPS limit. The 5.7x28 ammo is faster than 2000 fps. But FN came through and developed a design that is around 1500 fps :supergrin: So 50 rounds of ammunition comparable but better than 9mm, in a very short ergonomic package, even better when SBR'd. Now the only down side is the price. Everything about it is expensive 1600-1800 for the gun, about 50 bucks a mag, around 40-50 cents per shot.
    So the question is, is it worth it? Does the ammo really perform like I am thinking it does? Anybody have any real world experience with it? How does the ps90 hold up over time? Any flaws in the ps90 system itself? If I get one it will have the black reticle or I may go railed. Is a BUIS available for a railed model? Will AR15 BUIS work for the ps90 railed?
    Other carbine designes I may want to look at that perhaps shoot a more common caliber?
    I have looked at the hk umc, very nice feel a nice caliber. But to really get its potential I would have to spend alot of time effort and cash to convert it to how it should be, and be able to use non neutered mags. Also in my neck of the wood I have not seen 45acp in months. 5.7x28 I can find fairly easily at my local sporting goods shops and gun stores.
    Also I look in a mp5 style weapon. Problem is anything other than a hk 94, I have read is very unreliable, and should be done over in HK parts. I'll pass on that.
    Then looked into uzi This one may have potential, fairly cheap parts, uses 9mm mags, may be potential in this one. Big down side is I am very limited on mounting options. And like the ps 90 looks great as a SBR
    I have not seen a KRISS yet, but then I run into the 45acp problem again. And with the cost od 45 when I do see it, its very comparable to the cost of 5.7x28
    I also looked at hi point 955, kel tec sub2000. Yea...I'll pass
    So am a missing any other great designs? More info on uzi, and the fn ps90 please? More info on the 5.7x28? BTW this will mostly be for range purpose, possibly HD, and potentially SHTF

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

3. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Thats kinda different. I think I may have seen one in a previous thread on here. I dont mind gettin a stamp. 200 bucks is alot of scratch, but could be worth it. Almost all the carbines and the like, that I like would end up as an sbr anyways. does that use the entire glock or just the frame?

4. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

ive got a ps90 , my favorite rifle period. you would love it . and you can get some cool hot loads for it . wink

5. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

I have a Vector semi Uzi that I really enjoy. The PS90 is a solid design, too. Basically, I would weigh the ruggedness and terminal effects o$ the Uzi (hot 9mm JHP) against the ergonomics and range of the PS90. Both have similar ammo capacities (various Uzi mags available).

6. cphilip

cphilip

I happen to have a Vector Semi Uzi Carbine that I need to move and get rid of. A good number of mags (11 or so ?) and some accessories including a Barrel Shroud. If someone is interested contact me directly so this doesn't violate rules. I like the thing but I am divesting of all the "Sub Guns" and its the last one. Going to finance my reloading set up with this last one to go.

7. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Not ready to buy just yet. Once I have decided whats right for me, then much much more research into that particular gun. The ps9o is lookin pretty good overall though. With a uzi in close seconed

8. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

I have alot of differant rifles in the pistol calibers. Here is what I have, how they rate and why..........
    1. HK MP5 clone(Bobcat Arms) 9mm SBR but 16 inch version avalible (Pics of 16 inch version upon request)(100 yards 6 inch steel all day, light, parts avalible, extremely reliable, eats any ammo but steel case crap, cheap to shoot, zero recoil)
    [​IMG]
    2. HK USC/ UMP conversion .45 ACP (100 yards 6 inch steel all day, light, parts avalible, extremely reliable, eats any ammo, light recoil, extremely light over all weight)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. PS90 5.7x28mm (Accurate, 100% reliable, great ergos, 50 round mags, zero recoil, field strips in 2 seconds, no joke, amazing penitration with the right version of ammo)
    [​IMG]
    4. RRA AR-15 9mm (100 yards 6 inch steel all day, light, parts avalible, extremely reliable, eats any ammo, cheap to shoot, zero recoil)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

5. HK MP5K clone 9mm SBR but 16 inch version avalible(100 yards 6 inch steel all day, light, parts avalible, extremely reliable, eats any ammo but steel case crap, cheap to shoot, zero recoil, tight little compact package)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6. Vector UZI 9mm (dummy barrel installed in picture. But its a full 16 inch version. You can SBR easily with plentyful 10 inch barrels) (100 yards 6 inch steel all day, HEAVY, parts avalible, extremely reliable, eats any ammo, cheap to shoot, zero recoil, small package even with no SBR)
    [​IMG]
    7. The HK USC .45 ACP the above one is converted to a UMP. I love this gun. It really accurate at 100 yards, moderate recoil, feels great to shoot. Downfall as its last are no folding stock and 10 round mags. There is a company makeing 20 rnd mags for it. Still a great rifle and fun to shoot at the range only.
    [​IMG]

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:thumbsup:

11. Ruggles

Ruggles

Errrr seems like 01coltcolt might have a pretty good ideal bout what he is talking about..........:) Nice collection to say the least.....

I have the PS90 and it is indeed a outstanding shooting platform. If possible do not get one of the older White sight models, that sight leaves alot to be desired IMO. The Black Sight is good to go or the flat top version with your own sight is great as well. I yanked my white sight off and put on a compact ACOG and it works great.

12. txpitdog

txpitdog

When I think of spending 1600-1800 bucks, I think of Springfield M1A. Not a pistol caliber, but so much more rifle for your money than a PS90.

13. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

Yea, its a crap load of cash. I would gladly buy a rifle caliber rifle, except I have nowhere very local at all, (about an hour 1 way in any direction) to shoot rifles. Only place like that to shoot rifle, is state owned, very regulated. 1 shot every 5 seconed, 15 min cease fire, 15 min shoot. So half the time I am there I can't even handle the gun. While I am able to shoot I spend half that 15 min loading a couple mags. 1 shot every 5 seconeds seems like an eternity. (most of my shooting is around 50-75 yard, with a few rounds at the 100 yard) Shots inside 50 yards do not take 5 seconed for me to get on target. Even shots at 100 yards doesnt take 5 seconed to be back on target and ready to go again. No double taps, makes any sort of real training just about impossible. So my best option is the local pistol range. As long as the buller is under 2000 fps I can pretty much do as I please (while still being safe ect) Makes practice/training very possible. So I am pretty much stuck with a pistol caliber rifle, provided I want to either train myself with it or even have fun with it.

As I'm thinking about it though, the ps90 is a lot of money, all around. 1600-1800 for gun 50 bucks or more per mag 40-50cents a shot. And a very unique bullet. Can't just pick it up at walmart. So the ps90 is almost certainly out. A 9mm ar15, might be an ok option, I could sbr it and make it a very compact weapon, the mp5/clones I'd love to have, or an uzi. So its really down to those 3 now.

14. Glockdude1

My Vector Uzi.
    [​IMG]

Uzi's make great company for MP5's.
    [​IMG]

:cool:

15. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

The uzi is hot. Very good looking rugged looking and classical. How well do they hold up? They are stamped sheet metal like the ak correct? Are they ak durable? 01colt said he can hit a pie plat at 100 yards all day, is that the commen consensus?

16. Glockdude1

Uzi's hold up extremely well, and eat any kind of ammo, Ball, hollowpoint, +P, +P+, ++PP++, does not matter. For plenty of info go here: www.uzitalk.com

:thumbsup:

17. cphilip

cphilip

[​IMG]

I now have the correct sling on mine but did not when that picture was taken...

18. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

:rofl:
    Note: That was with the 16 inch barrel...............There is one draw down though, they are heavy.

19. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

How heavy are we talking? Around 6-7 pounds I could deal with (about the weight of an ar15) around 15 pounds might be a problem for long term shooting

20. cphilip

cphilip

Yep they are heavy. I could be wrong but I think about 8 pounds for a full 16" carbine, shroud and full 32 stick of ammo. Which is heavy for a Carbine but... not maybe as heavy as a Old battle rifle. Your talking 1955 or 56 technology here.