close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

carbide dies and reload manual

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by d62_4life, Jan 29, 2010.

1. d62_4life

d62_4life

ok i have read abc's of reloading and am now looking for a reloading manual i will be planning on loading .40 S&W for target practice and eventually 9mm so what is the best one to get or do i just need to buy all of them . . . Also do you really not need any lube for carbide dies because in the book it said always use lube and then i read people saying you dont need lube on carbide.

Thank you
    D.Lo

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

The Lyman 49th is a good manual, so it thier pistol only version. If your only loading one or two calibers though "Load books" are a good resource as they take info from various powder and bullet manufacturers specificall for the one caliber.
    No need to lube carbide dies, but I do... use Horandy One Shot, make such a difference, easier on the press and your body.

3. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

I use 9mm & .44 carbide dies, and I lube the brass lightly. You do NOT have to; it doesn't hurt the dies if you don't. However, it absolutely helps the ram move more smoothly as resizing takes less friction. It only a couple of minutes to lube a pile of pistol brass, so I do recommend it.

I have the Lyman 48th book, and a good amount of data from powder websites and their own load books. You can't have too many manuals, but you don't need to buy every one of them when you're starting. The important thing is having several published sources to compare for the same combination.

thorn

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  4. rjrivero

rjrivero

I don't lube strait wall pistol brass with carbide dies. However, necked down rifle brass should ALWAYS be lubed, regardless of weather your spending the extra $$ on carbide or steel dies. You don't want a piece of rifle brass STUCK in the sizing die.....

5. fredj338

fredj338

Rifle brass MUST be lubed regardless of a carbide sizing ring, they only size the body. I lube ong straight handgun brass, just makes the press run smoother. Short service cases, pretty much never. You will not wear out a carbide die.
    I like the Speer & Lyman manuals the best for handgun loads. The LoadBooks are a good source too, but get spendy if you are buying one for every caliber. Cross ref w/ powder manuf & you are pretty well covered.

6. d62_4life

d62_4life

thank you everyone so far

7. d62_4life

d62_4life

just ordered .40 load manual and lee handloading maual

8. glocknick

glocknick

i have the hornady and lyman books. as long as you have more than one book to refer to. i usually check the powder manufacturer's online manual then check my 2 books and compare the recipes max and starting loads and oal. and develop from there

9. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I like the Lee Modern Reloading Manual. I use carbide dies, but I only lube rifle cases. For pistol, I don't lube the cases. I use a little NuFinish when I tumble the brass. The cases go through the dies pretty easily for me.