close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carb Problems? or not.

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by wrenrj1, Apr 9, 2006.

1. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

My 1981 KZ 550 has been leaking fuel. I first noticed this after taking it out of the basement from its winter hibernation. If it sits, say overnight on its kickstand, upon getting on the bike and moving it prior to starting, there's a trail of fuel. It does not leak until it is moved.

Today, prior to moving it I put a baggie around the four drain tubes that run to the four carbs to see if this was where the fuel was draining from, and, well it was parked in my basement (pic included)and I'd be in the dog house if it drained on the carpet. Sure enough the baggie caught about a 1/2 ounce or less of fuel out of at least one of the tubes.

While I haven't isolated this problem to one of the four carbs, is this indicative of a stuck float? if so, what's the fix? If not the floats what may it be? The bike runs fine otherwise.

2. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

First off, that's a beautiful KZ man! Yeah it sounds like a "stuck float". Usually it's not the float that stuck, it's the float needle getting a ridge worn into it, so it can't seal against the seat. Take the carbs apart and investigate. Also be sure to check the oil for gas. Probably a good idea to change it after you fix you carb issue anyway.

3. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Thanks gixxer, I bought it last Sept. with 6700 original miles, and it runs great otherwise.

That sounds like a pretty in depth operation. I have the repair manual and was looking at the carburator disassembly portion, and it looks pretty complicated. I'll admit, I have one of the best Craftsman tool sets around, but I'm not sure I'm the guy for this job...Are you referring to the float pin by the way? I didn't see a specific part, but the float pin looks like it's the hinge for the floats.

4. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm only tring to help a fellow GT'er out. If you need to read the manual to "talk you through" the process, then I wouldn't mess with them. Gently take them off and take 'em to a REPUTABLE shop. Do you live anywhere near the Indianapolis area? If so, I would be glad to help ya out :) :beer:

5. triumphlover

triumphlover

put on fuel filters and take float bowels off botton (4 screws each carb)clean crud out and run gas through some carbs have a drain plug remove it and let gas run through plug with finger let fill and flush

6. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Thanks gixxer, no wrong way taken what so ever! I appreciate your input. I was looking at all the parts from the parts diagram, which was pretty overwhelming, but it looks like if I do this, I simply need to remove the carbs (as a set) and remove the lower half of the particular carb and replace the pin and gasket. Luckily I don't rely on the bike for primary transportation.

I've become whipped! when I was 18 I'd tear into my Suzuki 185 (1979) to try to fix anything...Unfortunately, I live in NE, but thanks for the offer. Bottom line is, that it's an inconvenience so as long as I don't park it in my basement famly room, the wife is happy.

7. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I'll give er a try...