close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Carb/brake lube

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by gatorhugger, Mar 12, 2010.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Sorry that should say Carb/Brake CLEANER.
    I'll try not to rehash,.and hopefully this wont get into lubrication.
    For many of years I have cleaned with Remoil or something similar
    such as browning gun oil in an aersol which almost flash dries.
    I like the power blast to get down in the trigger assemblies ect. and let the crud drip out. Not just for Glocks. I have Ruger Marks, Marlin 60's. Smith metal pistols, ect
    that I only field strip when cleaning.

Then I lightly lube with whatever, eexzox, clp, mobil, whatever.
    Oil is oil. But that is another topic.

Lately, I have been wanting to leave as little residue as possible before lubing and have been reading thread after thread on Brake cleaner. Usually they dissolve into a heated debate on Mobil one for some reason. LOL.
    I read about hexane, and Toulene, and gun scubber versus brake cleaner.
    What I want is a specific answer if anyone knows.
    HAS ANYONE EVER SUFFERED ANY DAMAGE DUE TO BRAKE OR CARB CLEANER ON THEIR GUN. Either to the stainless, the polymer, the nylon, anywhere on their guns internals or finish??
    Also is there any difference in brake cleaner and carb cleaner??
    Is one brake cleaner better than the next brand?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Be careful before using either one. Some plastics and finishes are ruined by these solvents. Carb cleaner is known for being able to melt many types of plastic and strip paint.

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I have tried both on METAL ONLY and they work OK. I usually use Action Blaster but had an instance not to long ago where it melted the checkering on the MarkII palstic grips so I only use it on metal now as well.

I've always worried about getting any of that crap on wood grips or stocks< just seems like it would leach out natural oils and such. Have no basis for that though, just a thought.

4. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

I found a brake cleaner that says on its label that it is safe for plastics. I have been using it a month with no ill effects.

I haven't used it on wood, but I need to clean a rifle tomorrow, and I have some scrap stained oak. I think I'll spray half and wipe it off after 10 seconds, then spray the other half and leave it on. I'll report afterward how it does.

5. Duct Tape

Duct Tape

This may be a great way to clean an el-cheapo AK after abusing it for a while...

6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I use it on metal only. I use the synthetic safe gun scrubber on plastics and polymers, I haven't seen any brake cleaner safe for plastics

7. rhino673

rhino673

Brake/carb cleaner can be really rough on wood and it will turn a set of Houge rubber grips into goo! I know from experience. I still use it but ONLY for metal parts.

8. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I use the autozone brand of break cleaner.It hasn't melted any plastics or paint I have used it on and leaves no residue.Used to turn wrenches for a living and I am very picky about my brake clean spray.

9. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Believer

Why take the chance on ruining an expensive firearm by cleaning it
    with something CLEARLY NOT intended for firearms?

Would you clean your cars brakes with BreakFree or Hoppe's #9?
    Then why would you use brake cleaner on your guns?

With today's modern metals/polymers, protective finishes and non-corrosive
    ammo, a firearm doesn't have to be "sterilized" to be clean.

The bottom line is, why take that chance?

10. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Cost is the obvious answer.
    I am not much into lifting out trigger assemblies and such. So I like to take them to the yard, and flood the dang things with a quick flashing cleaner that leaves no residue.
    Doing so can clean a gun in a minute, that would take a hour with q tips and regular cleaner.
    The downside is it takes a LOT of cleaner. It pours in and takes crud out but a can doesn't last very long.
    Now if I could get Gun scrubber for $3 bucks a can I would never consider brake cleaner.
    I don't want to turn my guns into goo, but saving money is nothing to ignore in todays world.

Note I have never actually used brake cleaner. I normally flood em with rem-oil or a simliar CLP, but CLP does leave residue. Does it build up?
    Probably not because I flush it again next shooting as well.
    But even CLP is expensive compared to brake cleaner.

If I could find a cheap solution guaranteed to not harm finishes I would be a happy guy.

11. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is a great tool, but like all tools, you need to know how and when to use it. I can't imagine why anyone would ever consider using it on wood or plastic. Let's be careful out there, wear gloves when using it people, watch your eyes, spray downwind.

12. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Well unfortuntely a lot of my guns trigger assemblies sit in plastic or wood.
    My rugers don't. But Glocks, Sigmas, Marlins, all have wood or plastic and there ain't no way to wash them out with brake cleaner avoiding all plastic.
    It's not possible.
    I hear people saying the have used it, do they totally remove all plastic parts first? Kinda defeats the purpose of quick flush.
    Surely SOMEBODY has washed their guns out with this stuff for an extended time and can give a definite thumbs up or down.

13. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

I've used a bunch of it. Grips removed, actions removed from stocks. A real effective time saver and crud cutter. Like you said gatorhugger, not all gun designs avail themselves to it's application.

14. Ol'Slabsides

Ol'Slabsides

I used it to clean a 1911 once, just on the stainless slide. It cleaned well, but left the slide so dry that it scared the poo outta me. I ended up bathing it in some Weapon Shield for a while to get the metal back "happy." Maybe it was just me.

I definitely would avoid using it on any coated surfaces, but I guess that's been covered ad nauseum.

15. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

It removes ALL lubes along with the crud. Now you have to lightly oil/lube all metal parts in the entire gun.

16. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

wouldnt use it on high polish stainless, but blued metal / duracoated metal, etc is fine,

it can damage plastic and stocks ...

some asshat at my work wrote / drew gross things on my ear muffs and i used brake clean to get it off, and it dissolved about a thousandth of the plastic off the muffs ..

17. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

:upeyes::upeyes::upeyes::upeyes::upeyes:

18. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

An alternative to brake cleaner that is just as cheap is CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. Its a red can and can be found in the automotive department at Walmart. i believe it is near the brake cleaner. Its safe for plastics and i have used it on all my guns with no discoloration or harm.

19. farmer2

farmer2

another good solvent that is pressurized more than most is starter fluid. It is also much more mild then brake or carb cleaner and will not damage parts. Unlike brake cleaner, it leaves no residue and dries almost instantly.

farmer2