Car wreck

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by as400guy1, Sep 30, 2020.

1. as400guy1

as400guy1

My son just witnessed a car wreck near the airport. 2 of the three didn't make it. His first dead body.
    image000000(1).jpg

2. buddyd157

buddyd157

i can assure you that after 48 years of driving trucks, i have seen my share of dead bodies, and gore, along the roadways. its something you try to forget, but it ain't easy.

how old is your son?

maybe a good idea for him to talk with a professional, before he gets nightmares.

El Pistolero, Rotn1, sixgun2 and 2 others like this.

3. as400guy1

as400guy1

4. nmk

nmk

Where is that?

5. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Yeah working EMS you don't forget your first few deaths by MVC, your first child death, or your first GSW death.

6. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I was 12 when this happened to me. Some kid was screwing around and pulled out in front of a car and got broadsided. The driver of the car that hit him wasn't wearing a seat belt and died on the scene from a head injury.

I was the first person on the scene and was completely helpless, not that anyone could have helped that guy.

I responded by putting together what a 12 year old thought would be useful in a medic bag. I carried that bag around until I started high school. Came in handy a couple of times (band aides etc.), but never anything important.

The experience changed me, I never consciously articulated it until now, but I have never let myself be completely unprepared to respond to a medical emergency.

I have taken the Red Cross emergency response (First Responder) class several time and have held Wilderness First Responder certs since 2005 since I started riding dual sport motorcycles off road.

Here is my response bag. I carry it in my car and on all rides.

PXL_20200930_154454106.jpg PXL_20200930_154514721.jpg

Perhaps it might help your son to get some emergency medical training. It worked for me.

BlueBacker, chemboy, Resqu2 and 14 others like this.
  7. nmk

nmk

https://wgntv.com/news/crews-on-scene-of-vehicle-crash-at-chicago-executive-airport/

WHEELING Ill. — Emergency crews are on the scene of a fatal vehicle crash on the grounds of Chicago Executive Airport in Wheeling.

Wheeling police said two people were killed Wednesday in the crash involving a vehicle and a box truck. The crash happened around 7:30 a.m.

Police said the truck crashed through Chicago Executive Airport fence near the intersection of Wolf Road and Messner Drive.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  8. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

So, the box truck crashes through a fence, and hits a moving vehicle that's on a road on the other side, on what looks like a run-way side road? Or did the collision happen at the intersection, and both vehicles ended up on the opposite side of the fence?

That's bad f'ing luck. 1 in a million chance.

And it looks like that box truck was moving at serious speed.

nrajeff likes this.
  9. as400guy1

as400guy1

Place is surrounded by busy roads

10. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Definately one big ishkibble.
    During his Sophmore-ish in high school, my mom died - and kiddo and she were extremely close.
    About 3-4 months later, he was passenger in a pick up truck that collided with a full dress Harley - left turn in/left turn out roadway in front of a grocery store.
    Kiddo was the 1st out of the p/u, down on hands and knees w/the biker - megga head injury, neurological damage whole body tremoring stuff, and blood.

I kept thinking: jhc, how many dead people does my kid gave to have in his life this year??

nrajeff likes this.
  11. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

It's hard to get a clear idea from the pictures. Looks like a T junction, and that truck just barreled through at high speed, and both vehicles crashed through the fence and ended up on the airport property.

That the truck driver would be going so fast, and just blow through the intersection knowing that even if there was no other vehicle coming the other way, they were going to crash through the fence, suggests something beyond not paying attention.

Almost like a non-driver/kid stole a truck, and was just hauling around, with no real clue about driving.

12. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

My buddy’s son is a Firefighter EMT. He’s told me many stories and even sent me photos of wrecks that are too gruesome to describe. I’ll leave it at that.

Not sure who sees more carnage; people in his line of work or Highway Patrol Officers.

nrajeff likes this.
  13. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

The first time I saw someone freshly dead, I was in 7th grade.

14 year old kid ran off the road down the hill from our house and hit the culvert that went under the road on his motorcycle. Launched him over the bars into a tree and broke his neck. Pretty surreal experience as an 7th grader to see someone dead with their face turned almost 180 degrees backwards.

nrajeff likes this.
  14. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

"Anyway, we're approaching the wreck, and there's this spherical object a restin' in the highway. And it's not a piece of the car."

15. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

16. Gokyo

Gokyo

I came upon a scene years ago (back before cell phone) where a panel van sped off after T-boning a jeep. The jeep was flipped on its side. A lady in here late 20's or early 30's was killed. I can still see her face and hair.

She was dead but it did not seem gruesome or terrible just like she was kind of laying there in a slightly awkward position.

There was glass everywhere on the ground and I had to walk over it to get to the jeep.

It did feel a little helpless there was nothing to do... I drove up to house to call the police. It felt pretty bad to leave the scene. But it was late at night and there was no one around. I drove back and waited for the police.

I sat in my vehicle but it felt weird so I got out and stood there and that felt worse so I sat on the edge of my seat with the door open.

I was pretty useless when the cops came. All I could tell them was I arrived as a panel van was racing away.

They took my info and I never heard back from anyone.

I had not thought about his for years. It has never really bothered me. But I do kind of find it weird how I can still see her face and how her long straight hair framed her face.

Although even today I wonder how much of my current memories are real and how much of them are a created composite.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    M&P15T and nrajeff like this.
  17. nrajeff

nrajeff

Or intoxicated. In my county a guy driving a big dumptruck was speeding, high on cocaine. When the traffic in front of him suddenly came to a stop, it apparently didn't register, 'cause he did not even slow down, and rear-ended the car in front him, and what happened next was like happens at "Car-crushing Monster trucks on Sundaysundaysunday!" He ran over the top of 4 or more cars and killed someone in each car before his truck came to a stop.

18. furetto7

furetto7 Galloglaich

After decades on the military and law enforcement I can sadly say that if it can be done to a human body by man, machine or nature I have seen it and in way too many cases had to deal with it.

nrajeff likes this.
  19. jonb32248

jonb32248

The worst is when it's a child.The one I remember is a one car minor damage accident about a quarter mile from the firehouse. Woman driving hits a patch of ice and slides into a fence. Avery young(2-3) sitting in the front not in a car seat. The kid goes forward and breaks it's neck on the dash. Driver was so shook up she thought she had another kid in the car which caused a search in the woods only to find she had dropped the kid at day care already. We tried CPR on the toddler but it didn't help.

nrajeff likes this.