close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car Trouble- Help!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ccourt13, Feb 2, 2010.

1. ccourt13

ccourt13 CCOURT13

Within a matter of two weeks I've gotten two flat tires (talk about bad luck), but since I'm going to need new tires soon anyway I'm going to bring my car in for four new tires tomorrow. In the meantime, I put the full size spare in place of the first tire that went flat and now I'm trying to replace the second flat with a spare from a friend's car. Got the spare on, but now my car won't move when I put it in drive... Could it be the spare I put on is too big or what?

Thanks for any input!

2. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Is your friend's car the same model and year? If not, are you sure the wheels are compatible (same diameter, same offset etc.)? Did the new wheel rotate freely after you put it on?

3. ccourt13

ccourt13 CCOURT13

The wheels are very close in size, but not exactly the same. I have 235/45R17 on mine and his were 225/45R17 I believe. The spare didn't rotate and I ended up putting the flat tire back on.

Guess I'll have to pump it up, pray, then head to the tire shop!

4. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

what do you mean the car wont move??
    and is the e-brake still on?

5. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

6. CnRnut

CnRnut

Tires might work,but sounds like the rims might be different.
    The "dish"of the rim might be makeing the tire hit on the inside.

7. Slacker

Slacker Millennium Member

If you are using the "temporary" spare tires please use caution as they are usually limited to a top speed of 50 mph and are meant for short distances. I say this because on my way home yesterday I was passed on the interstate by a car that had on a "doughnut" spare and I was going 75 mph!!!

8. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

Can't you just plug the hole in your tires or is it (the hole) on the sidewall?

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Sounds like the rims are of different offsets and the inside of the borrowed rim is jammed against either the caliper or rotor. You'll be lucky if you didn't damage the caliper, warp the rotor or even bend the MacPhearson strut. HH

10. chasethetale

chasethetale A1 a**hole

yep, rim's prob hitting the caliper, but could be rubbing against strut, you should be able to see when you mount it?

11. SwampFox89

SwampFox89 Rec Student

Similar thing happened to me. I got tired of Chrome Pacers on my 99 Explorer getting pit rust so I traded them for some Factory Jeep wheels. Lame, I know, but low maintenance. I had to get 3/16" spacers because the offset was rubbing the wheel against my caliper. Better safe than sorry. It would probably be cheaper to get it towed to a garage/tire center than to screw up your calipers and have to get it towed anyways.

12. ccourt13

ccourt13 CCOURT13

Got everything worked out. I put the flat full size tire back on and used fix a flat to take it down to the shop. The wheel of the spare was pushing against the caliper. I didn't push it too hard thankfully so no damage.

Thanks for the all input.

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Glad you made it! Don't leave yourself without a spare next time.

14. sputnik767

sputnik767

Ok, some of you guys really need to learn how to fix tires. Forget that fix-a-flat crap, actually fix it. Go to a pep boys or harbor freight, or whatever and pick up a tire repair kit and a 12V air compressor. The kit comes with plugs, rubber cement, and 2 tools to install the plug. After you remove the tire, it literally takes 10 mins to fix it and be back on the road. And the repair is permanent. These are the same tools the tire shops use to fix flats, and I've had some of my plugs holding, with no leaks for over 4 years now. The compressor from Harbor Freight was about $20 and the kit is less than $10.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  15. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Tire shops usually dis-mount the tire and glue a patch on the inside. Not the same as a plug and usually more durable, not that I haven't seen plugs go a while as the previous poster mentioned, but they can fail too. They usually won't patch sidewall holes because the flex of the rubber makes it so the patch won't hold. I have seen sidewall gashes "sewn" together using wire and then a piece of rubber glued over it and an innertube ran inside the tire, but this was on farm machinery.
    ETA: I would take the plug over fix a flat or slime which I reserve for bicycles and 4 wheelers (they don't have tough enough rubber in the tires to resist punctures from wheat stubble).

16. picturethis

picturethis

AAA. You get 3 free tows a year.

17. sputnik767

sputnik767

You are right about that, the better shops use patches. But I've seen them use plugs also. Still, I have never had a plug fail (not saying that they can't), and my oldest one is probably 4-5 years old. I've had bad luck in the flat tire department. In fact, I haven't moved my car in about a week, and yesterday the pressure in 1 tire was about 10 psi. It was dark so I just filled it back up, but I'll look for the puncture this weekend. You really can't fix sidewall puncture with any method.

18. Kith

Kith

If you do use fix-a-flat (garbage,, but can be useful in about 8% of the situations it's actually used in) PLEASE tell the guy at the shop. Fix-a-flat inside a tire can cause it to decompress explosively when you put it on the tire machine. Every time I throw a random tire on the machine, I think to myself, is this the one?

19. Gallium

Gallium CLM

That was you, slacker?

:supergrin::tongueout:

'Drew

20. ccourt13

ccourt13 CCOURT13

The hole was in the side wall. I had to drive 1 mile, that's why I got fix-a-flat.