Car train to Fl.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Linux3, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Linux3

Linux3

I'm taking the Amtrack Car Train to Fl. in a couple of weeks. I want to carry my EDC and take a S&W M&P Pro to do a little USPSA and IDPA while on vacation.
    What's the rules for carry both on me and my target pistol? Can I carry on the train?
    I'm not real comfortable with leaving either pistol in my car as Amtrack people load and unload the car and I can't lock it. I was thinking of keeping them in my carry-on, so to speak. Just keeping them with me at all times.
    I have a Secure-It hand gun safe, you know the ones with a key lock and a cable. I guess I could buy another and keep the pistols hidden somewhere.
    I do have carry licenses for NY, my start point, PA and Fl so I'm pretty sure I can legally carry while on the train. Humm, looks like S.C. is a problem.
    Is the train like a car? That is while passing through with a valid permit at both ends?

Comments? Experiences?

2. cagnoli

cagnoli Patriot First

I believe that this is an open issue. If I remember correctly, you must lock the weapon in your CHECKED baggage, and I'm reasonably sure you cannot have ammunition with it.

3. cagnoli

cagnoli Patriot First

Update: from Amtrak's website:

Prohibited Items

The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:
    • Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon. (See note below regarding firearms in checked baggage)
    • Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.
    • Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.
    • Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.
    • Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
    • Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
    • Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment.(Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
    • Animals (except service animals).
    • Oversized
    Looks like you are SOL. There is NO WAY I would put a firearm in checked baggage with the thugs that handle baggage......too risky.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  4. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

You might have to ship them to yourself. At least the policy will change in December.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241267293829
    Firearms in Checked Baggage
    The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the bill’s enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrak’s current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010.

5. Linux3

Linux3

So I can take with on a plane but not the train.
    Stupid, just stupid. No wonder Amtrack is having problems.
    I know, more reasons than this but it's a symptom of a system that doesn't care.

6. badge315

badge315

I'm curious, how much time are you really saving by taking the Auto Train vs. driving?

7. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Well, obviously they're planning on implementing this just as soon as humanly possible....

Randy

8. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

Does Amtrak security screen like airports?

9. Linux3

Linux3

Well, it starts in a Va. suburb of Washington DC at 4:00 PM and arrives in Orlando Fl, Sanford actually, at 9:00 AM the next morning.
    Call it 5 hours for me to get to Lorton Va. then ride the train. If I drive the whole way it's about 21 hours so 2 bad days or 3 not so long days.
    So with the car train it's less than 24 hours vs. 2 or 3 days driving.

10. Linux3

Linux3

Yes but what about locked in a gun safe in my car?
    It's not checked or carry on baggage.

11. cabindriver

cabindriver NRA Life Member

I think it would be alright since they don't allow checked baggage with a vehicle.
    http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241267292998

"Can I Check Baggage?
    We do not offer checked baggage service on the Auto Train. You may pack baggage inside your automobile; however, you may not access your vehicle en route. Amtrak allows two carry-on bags per passenger."

12. Bado

Bado

What about locking it in a travel safe and attached to the seat frame in the car?

How much does it cost for this train ride? I always drive and it takes me 12 hrs to Orlando from NoVA.

13. Chucktown Mako

Chucktown Mako G23

The problem here is the FED Government owns Amtrak. That's what makes it different than privately owned Airplanes and companies.
    ]Maybe if the Feds allowed us to conceal carry on their trains, we would ride trains more, and they would not be losing money on this venture going on almost 30 years!
    Goes to show you, if the feds get their paws on it, it's gonna lose money.

14. Linux3

Linux3

No the Fed doesn't own Amtrack.
    http://www.railroad-central.com/who-owns-amtrak.php
    But the problem is that the Fed puts rules and restrictions on Amtrack and then doesn't give them a long term commitment so they can plan and grow.

15. Chucktown Mako

Chucktown Mako G23

Technically, it is. It is subsidized by the Federal Government.

"As to who owns Amtrak, basically Amtrak is a private corporation run by a board of directors that would show losses every year were it not for government subsidies. The government subsidy is voted on by Congress every year and authorizes the Secretary of the United States Department of Transportation to make quarterly grants to Amtrak with a maximum appropriation ($1.325 billion in 2008).

Amtrak relies on federal appropriation to balance its budget. In 2007, Amtrak received $1.294 billion dollars to support its operating and capital needs. Amtrak earned approximately $2.15 billion in revenue while incurring $3.18 billion in expenses. Total revenue when including the government subsidy came to $3.44 billion thus Amtrak would have showed a profit of $0.26 billion or $260,000,000."http://www.railroad-central.com/who-owns-amtrak.php

May be "privately owned", but you are paying for it.:supergrin:

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd say that technically the Feds do NOT own Amtrak

17. Messer

Messer

If I remember correctly, you have to leave your car unlocked (not sure about keys left in it) and you have no access to it while on the trip. So the AMTRAK folks can look through your car (if they so choose, not saying they would).

I'd vote NO to AMTRAK.

I drove from Charlottesville VA. to Disney Orlando in 13 hours - stopping only for gas. Not sure where you are starting from, but it seems like two easy driving days would get you there.

Hope this helps,
    Bob S.

18. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Yea, imagine how many trains would be hijacked to Cuba if folks could bring guns on board.

19. bigdogmurph

bigdogmurph Lifetime Member

linux drive your car, forget the train. i am a railroader believe me driving is quicker and cheaper. and put ammo in back floor board and guns in trunk or vice versa. enjoy your trip.

20. mattjp

mattjp

Two words: VALET KEY.

Most cars (newer) come with valet keys that only allow driver door and ignition access. depending on the vehicle, you can lock access to the trunk..

Or if you're even more paranoid, you can disconnect the linkage to the trunk lever and lock it (So long as you have the oem key, and a valet key.. and the trunk has a keyhole)