close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car rental advice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SquackDaddy, Jan 25, 2010.

1. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy NRA member

Me, My wife, and two kids are looking to rent a car to travel from Portland,OR, to South Dakota and back. We will leave right after school gets out in June, and return 8 days later. We hope to be renting a full size car (Chevy Impala or Dodge Charger). Our finances are TIGHT. Does anyone know of any great deals or rebate codes? ALSO: is there anything sightseeing wise we should see while making this trip. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated!

2. George Tucker

George Tucker George Tucker

Ive always used Budget car rentals, i can rent a new car here in Wa, for $219.00 for 7 days and nights, with unlimited milage, theres no way iam going to put 3000 mi plus wear and tear on my own car for $219.00, i go to North Dakota almost every yr in a Rental Car.

3. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Turn down all of the insurance that they offer you and drive really carefully. :whistling: That will save you some bucks.

And when you turn it in, say to the person at the desk "Man, those airbags really come at you fast, don't they!?"

j/k. don't do that.

4. VANWALL

VANWALL

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

The best deals are on the web from the agency's own web site. Check them all and pick your best. If something sounds really good, you can reserve it without a deposit or credit card and if you find something better, just cancel it. I do this if I find a good deal on the web, then call to get the NRA discount on top of it. Even without a NRA membership, it never hurts to call and ask if they have any unpublished promotions at the time or if they can beat their own web deal.

Sometimes renting from the same company but at a different local pickup can effect the rate as well. Airport locations may have additional airport fees, but they may be offset by deeply discounted specials.

You really need to invest some time to get the best deal.

And be sure to check with your personal vehicle insurance company and your credit card company. You may be covered under your policy and have additional coverage with the cc company so no need to buy insurance from the rental car company, no matter how much they twist your arm to do so. And ask for rental car locations in every state you will be visiting in case you need a replacement vehicle.

Have fun.

6. berto62

berto62

The one thing to do before you leave the rental lot is to check the car for any damage.If there is any make sure that it is noted on your rental agreement before you leave.
    I found this out the hard way

7. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

8. forjoshhall

forjoshhall

ol timer is dead on...most of the time, your credit card carries coverage for loses like a car rental accident. check with them. always remember to take your trash out of the car and shake off excessively dirty floor mats and re-fuel it yourself (most cars now can take E-85 gasolin so before you turn it in, fill up with that cuz it will save you about fifty cents per gallon).

9. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Rent a mini van instead of the full size, with 2 kids you will thank me later for having the extra room.

10. vart

vart

I rent through Travelocity.com or Orbitz and usually get the best deals through Dollar.

Your car insurance will extend to the rental and if you rent it with a MC or Visa, the better cards will cover your collision deductible in the event you do get in an accident.

I needed to rent a car from Prescott, AZ and drive to Moscow, ID and back in 12 days. The car I had was a POS with worn tires that I was planning on trading in soon, so I figured it would be about the same price to rent a car as to put new tires on...

I had two teens and we rented a 2006 Toyota Camry for around $300.

I wanted a mini-van, but most rental car companies have restrictions on taking the minivans and SUVs too far or have mileage restrictions on them.

The Camry was a little tight but we made it OK with a portable DVD player and 3 seasons of Scrubs...

11. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  12. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

missed your edit