close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car Question - Trani problem?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndyGunFreak, Feb 26, 2010.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Got a friend who has a (i believe) 2002 Toyota Tacoma w/ an automatic transmission. He was driving today, on the highway, and then the car just acted like it ran out of gas(full tank). He hits the accelerator, and it does nothing.. no revving, no trying to shift, nothing. It's like the car is just in neutral, except the engine doesn't rev when you hit the accelerator.

He had it towed to a mechanic, who said it was likely a transmission prob, and he's awaiting the diagnosis.

I've had trani's go bad before, and they always seem to try getting into gear, or jerking really hard during gear changes, etc. The truck was running fine according to him, no unusual gauge readings, etc..

Any ideas?

IGF

2. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

Just something like that happened years ago on my POS Sunbird..... it was my alternator. Did he mention to you if his dash lights went dim to totally out ?

3. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

That's weird. Most Toyota drivers have been having the opposite problem lately. But whatever it is, you can be sure the garage owner will be making his boat payment this month.

4. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Id say it sounds more like a sensor in the fuel system. TPS

5. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

According to all the Toyota kool-aid drinkers this is impossible as Toyota Tacomas never have problems. Cept' for me and your friend.

6. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

That's too funny.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I thought about the possibility of a sensor. He didn't mention about the dash lights.

Is there a "cable" or something that goes from the accelerator to something to send the signal to the transmission to accelerate?

I'm far from a car guy, I was just curious the mechanic immediately said transmission, when I've never had a transmission go out like that..

IGF

8. mymini40

mymini40

sounds more like electrical problem than mechanical. tell him to get a second opinion. a problem with the transmission wont affect the engine.if the engine just stopped by its own, what does the tranny have anything to do with it?

9. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Count me as a 'kool-aid drinker'. I put 213K miles on my last Toyota pickup and then gave it to a brother - 5 years ago. His step son still drives it. I put an alternator on it at 177K and a starter at about 200K.

The truck before that went 200K and still ran great (1980 - 24R) - it was pretty rusted so I sold it.

My current Tocama has about 70K on it. Nothing yet - probably is still breaking in.

My Corolla has 150K. I'm pretty disappointed with this car. I had to replace the mass air sensor at about 140K. That's way too early to have problems with that car.

The total for the above 4 vehicles is probably about $500 or less. That's about 600K miles.

I guess some people can get a car to perform and some people can't. :whistling:

http://www.mycarstats.com/reports/recalls.aspx

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Electrical seems possible... but he didn't mention the radio not working, no lights, etc... I imagine if he'd have seen that, he would have known it was electrical.

IGF

11. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

Tell him to tighten each and every single battery cable- the motor quit running.

Trust me.

ETA- both ends of each cable. Specifically, you are looking for the connection that connects the battery, ECM, and alternator output together. Sometimes that happens on the battery, sometimes that happens at the starter, and sometimes that happens on an insulated stud near the battery.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  12. elsolo

elsolo

Engine does not rev up when the gas pedal is pushed.

That is the primary symptom, the other symptoms (such as not going anywhere) are secondary to this problem. I sure wouldn't suspect the transmission at this point, not until you can get the motor to rev.

Until very recently, all cars had the gas pedal mechanically connected to the throttle on the engine with a cable. Push down the gas pedal, cable is pulled, and on the other end of the cable the throttle blade is opened.

First thing I would check is that the throttle is opening when the pedal is depressed, (car should be off). Probably a broken throttle cable, or where it attaches to the gas pedal or throttle body.

Since there was no mention of the car "running funny" when depressing the pedal, I must assume the throttle blade is not opening. If it were opening and some part of the fuel management system had a problem, it would run funny when revved up in neutral or park.

(I don't know when Toyota went to a "fly-by-wire" electronic system, but that's a big part of their current problems)

13. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

Whether you lose the radio or any other electrical thing, depends on exactly how it is wired- rule #1 is that there are no rules.

14. elsolo

elsolo

Because repairing or replacing a transmission is the most expensive job the average repair shop can perform.

Not saying this shop is unscrupulous and preparing the truck's owner to part with a couple grand before doing any real diagnostics, but it happens every day.

15. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

Agreed. Or Mass Airflow Sensor (or a hole in the hose after it)

16. elsolo

elsolo

The engine would still rev up, or try to, when the throttle opens. It would run like crap since the A/F would be off.

This makes it sound like the engine is still idling. But the engine doesn't rev when the gas pedal is depressed.

I haven't seen any engine yet that will do both of the following:
    -Idle normally
    -Not rev up when the throttle opens (perhaps sputtering, popping, or chocking on itself, or even stalling out), but respond in some noticeable way when the throttle blade opens and lets air get sucked in.

OP:
    Does the truck idle OK in Park?
    Does the engine rev up at all, in Park or any gear?

17. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

Look out! To make an off the cuff diagnosis like that on a newer model like a 2002 is just foolish, or setting up your friend for a rip off. IIRC Toyota went to an electronic throttle control before 2002. The loss of engine control suggests to me that it is NOT a transmission problem. The ECM will send failure codes to the cars main computer, which will store them for the Tech to read. It could be something very simple, such as a disconnected cable at the accelerator module. That might be as simple as reconnecting and securing the cable, and charging the customer for a transmission repair.

I've seen similar ripoffs in the past. There was a service station I knew of that screwed several customers. In one instance, (in the late 60s) the shift rod going to the quadrant on the automatic transmission FELL out of the quadrant. The customer was lucky that it happened on the way to buy fuel. The transmission would not shift out of drive. The mechanic got the car up on a lift, and told the customer that he needed a transmission rebuild. They gave him a ride home, and told him thay would call the transmission shop and order up a rebuilt unit.

What they really did was to de-grease the existing transmission, and spray paint it "gold". Then they reattached the shift rod, using a new cotter pin and washer. The following day they brought the victim back to the station and showed him his "new" transmission. They charged him $1,200. The Victim's son discovered the fraud, and brought the car to a friend's shop for confirmation. The crooks had painted the underside of the transmission and bell housing, but hadn't painted the upper half of the bell housing where it was bolted to the engine.

I'm not saying that your friend's mechanic is a crook, but I'd want to get a second opinion befor shelling out any monies. I wish him luck!

18. chief

chief

a dishonest repairman??? get the fudge outta here!!!

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

All good things must come to an end, and this is Toyota's time. HH

(...still reeling from his Camry ownership)

20. Max5

Max5

I have a 2000 Tacoma and it has a cable operated throttle. If I'm not mistaken, 2002 was the first year for the electronic throttle.

No joke. I've seen it before. More often though, I've seen them remove the transmission and wash it, then spray it silver and paint the torque converter the same color as the area's prevailing converter rebuilder does.