close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car Problem Question... Just Throwing This Out

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by costanza187, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

So many things can be tied into a check engine light. Did you hook up a scanner to it, even without a light there can still be a stored code.

2. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

It should have had a "history" code in it for 40 drive cycles after the light goes out. It could have cleared itself, though, if the battery went dead again after the light came on.

A small electrical draw can cause modules to stau awake, creating large draws. I've seen led lights keep the body computer awake with the key off, this will discharge a weak battery overnight.

If I'm not mistaken, GM cars need the key on for the accessory plug in to work. If the key is on, there is enough draw to discharge the battery in a short amount of time.

3. sourdough44

sourdough44

My 2003 GMC truck has a 'hot' charging plug even with the key out. Of course I about never leave the phone charge with the engine off. That could be an issue if someone left a phone charging with the vehicle off for a good while.

A bunch of short drives with no charge time could possibly run the battery down.

4. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

It's a definite that the accessory plug will still charge while the key is out.

We used to have an old Dodge van that the when he engine was off the plug would not work. It is the only vehicle I have ever seen that was that way. Best feature (I think it's a feature), I've seen for my purposes in the world of phone chargers/GPS etc... I always unplug that stuff when I am not driving the car. It would be handy to leave it all plugged up all the time.

5. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

I tend to be a bit proactive when it comes to our vehicles.
    THey're all serviced religiously and the one thing that is a must for any vehicle is a good, strong battery.
    All of our vehicles are garaged 100% of the time unless they're being driven and the "summer" vehicle batteries are on battery tenders.

Even with this, I replace our motorcycle batteries after two years and our vehicle batteries after four years.
    For me, trying to get that last start or another season out of a battery that costs less $90, and ending up stranded isn't worth it.

6. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

I agree totally. My Acura's battery dying in less than 3 years was a shocker to me though. Always garaged, all maintenance done, and no sign of weak starts or anything really. Hell, I parked it at the KC airport for 8 days last month and it started right up like it had a full charge. I've been through four gel-cell batteries in my '02 Corvette. That thing eats batteries. I finally got smart and bought a battery tender for it. It's on the car whenever it's parked for more than a couple of days. If it sits for more than three weeks without driving or otherwise charging the battery, it's toast. Forget about it, just buy a new battery.