close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

car pictures you may grin at

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bill Powell, Oct 5, 2012.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

What would a VW be doing there??

2. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

two shots of a production VW from the thrities, two Hebmullers, a later custom coach car, a delivery vanthat is a VW in name only I can't remember what the orange coupe is called, and the white convertible is a Puma, a project belonging to a friend of mine named Gregory Hines. After 22,000 cars the Brazillian governtment in and said, "okay you're closed. Too much foreign involvement" and that was that. He does the Beck 550 Spyder there now. They're starting to move away from the VW air cooled engines.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

The camouflaged one is a Lamborghini Countach?

Even if not, I have a funny story about the Countachs. So I was in a stereo store way back in the 80's. That some huge posters of luxury cars on the walls, one was a Countach. I had been talking to a sales guy, he was standing near me when I looked up at that poster, recognized it, and said, "Nice Countach". He said, "That's a Lamborghini!", as if I had tried to call it a Ferrari or something.

I tried to tell him that calling it that was the same thing as insisting a Mustang was "just a Ford". I told him they made other models too, including some luxury sedans. He wasn't having it.

Reminds me of too many of the goobers in gun stores today. Instant know-it-alls, can' be told anything.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Considering the first "Porsche" was a VW bug, it would make sense. If you look at them the Porche 911 and the VW Beetle look somewhat alike. Not twins but the resemblance is there - more like siblings.

I still don't see the attraction to the VW Beetle.

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

6. Gareth68

Gareth68

The first two pics are of the VW-30. In 1937 Daimler Benz produced 30 vehicles for pre-production testing. These vehicles covered 2.4 million kilometers in testing to prove the VW design worthy of production.

The next picture is of the Radclyffe roadster. This is one of the most significant early post war cars.

Colonel Charles Radclyffe had this car built by Rudolf Ringel as a special project. It was his summer car in 1946.

The similarities to the next car, are obvious. That is because Gottfried Schultz, a friend of Heinz Nordoff and VW wholesale dealer was also a friend of the Hebmuller family. He convinced them to start producing cars similar to the roadster. The hebmullers were born.

Hebmuller also produced the next coachbuilt. The papler was a 4 door designed for police and fire duty...though later production moved to karmann.

Next up is the Rometsch. It is a german coachbuilt made by Friedrich Rometsch. He sought to build an affordable sportscar based on the vw chassis. Production of several models went from 1950 to 1961.

The next ugly vehicle is the Matador Tempo.

Here is a picture of teh frame to show it is, indeed, a true air cooled vw.

[​IMG]

These trucks were produced in Hamburg by a company by the name of Vidal and Sohn.
    Between 1949 and 1951 1,300 were produced. 10 are known to exist today.

Finally we hit the Brazilian offerings.

The first is the SP2 it was produced from 1972 to 1976. Despite it's good looks, it was under powered and eventually the Puma took over the brazillian sports car market.

Which brings us to the last car....the Puma.

Being fiberglass bodied, the puma had much better performance than the SP2 despite having similar power.

Puma manufactured cars from 1966 to 1995. They also manufactured trucks from 1978 to 1999. The car pictured above is a GTC. It is based on the VW brasillia chassis.

This is the second generation, which begin inb 1977 with obvious styling changes. The earliest Puma's used Karmann Ghia chassis.

In 2006 limited production of Puma's was restarted in South Africa.

(this last fact I just discovered researching dates).

As for the 1950 Beetle in Stuttgart....I am unsure of the specific significance of that vehicle.

I have several guesses as to why it would be historically significant based on history of VW and porsche, but they would be guesses.

7. irishbum

irishbum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 2 for personality

8. irishbum

irishbum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :ack:

[​IMG]

9. Atlanta10MM

Atlanta10MM

They were just trying to be like those rednecks who have there pickup trucks sitting in the sky. Sad thing is those rednecks probably built there trucks by selling there food stamps. :rofl:

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

No doubt. There are far more rural whites on public assistance than there are urban minorities...so can we get back to the cars? HH

11. Gareth68

Gareth68

Bow down to the mighty Snorkelstang!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:whistling:

12. okie

okie GT Mayor

Because Ferdinand Porsche designed it:supergrin:

13. Bill Powell

Nest time I'll look a little longer before I leap. I saw the two roadsters and thought, "two hebmullers". I saw the van and decided it was that it was an early variant of that Perkins powered delivery van. The military used some of those 4dr beetles, as well as the police, and I even saw a couple in junk yards in Germany with taxi signage. I'll stand with my thoughts on the thirties beetle. The main thing I like from Karmann is the type 1 karmann Ghia.

I've had a Puma coupe, and I know where there is a Puma body sitting for free if I had the energy to go after it.

There was also the Ali Puma, which was going to be sold in North Africa.

14. Bill Powell

six more oddities

Attached Files:

15. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

Was cool to see the VW's, here's my old 55 Oval...

Right after I bought it...
    [​IMG]

After some paychecks dumped into it. Ended up selling it, because of too many theft attempts. Figured I'd get some money out of it, before it was just gone one morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. FLGatorFan

FLGatorFan

17. goldenlight

goldenlight

Un modified VW air cooled engines aren't very efficient. I had a 1600 cc 1971 Super Beetle that pumped out only 60 HP.

The 1800cc Toyota 1zz-FE engine, used in the Corolla and Matrix, produces 131 hp. Now, it has fuel injection, 4 valves per cylinder, and variable valve timing, but by their nature, air cooled engines HAVE to run fairly rich, or they overheat.

18. DDB5788

DDB5788

"The camouflaged one is a Lamborghini Countach?"

I'm going to keep telling myself that Lambo is a kit car.

19. Bill Powell

It is a kit car. It aint too bad compared to the pink Testa Rosa in the second group of pictures.

20. Bill Powell

couple more

Attached Files: