Car insurance question for the experts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by peaman, Nov 13, 2010.

1. peaman

peaman liberal look

I'm in a disagreement with my dad. I do not have collision insurance on my pickup truck. It saves money if it's paid for. Anyway, he is always using it for whatever he does. He tells me that his car insurance, which has full coverage, would cover my truck if he wrecked it at his fault. I disagree with him. Question being, who is right? Would i be out of a truck if he totaled it at his fault, if he can't pay for it out of pocket?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

3. peaman

peaman liberal look

4. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Going to depend on his policy, best bet is to talk to your agent.

5. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Back to the link it says:
    Permission Is Key

Your insurance policy will cover any non-excluded driver as long as you give him/her permission to drive your vehicle. Exclusions apply to people whom your policy specifically will not cover if they drive your vehicle. For instance, some policies automatically exclude any drivers between the ages of 14-24 unless they are expressly listed as drivers of the vehicle on the policy. Usually, most policies cover members of your household when they drive your vehicle, regardless of whether they had your permission. To be valid, permission must be granted by the owner of the vehicle. For example, your teenage daughter could not give her boyfriend permission to drive your Porsche and have your coverage apply.

Owner’s Policy Primarily Responsible

If a guest driver has an accident in your vehicle, your insurance policy would provide primary coverage as long as the driver had your permission. This is where our aforementioned rule of thumb kicks in: insurance follows the vehicle, then the driver. Your policy is the primary insurance, meaning it would pay for the damages to your car while the guest driver was operating the vehicle. The driver’s insurance would serve as secondary coverage, meaning he might have some responsibility for liability, medical expenses, etc. The driver’s insurance may also come into play if the vehicle’s owner did not have insurance or had inadequate coverage to pay for the damages.

My Comment:
    You may want to search state laws on this to be sure, or simply contact your insurance carrier.

6. peaman

peaman liberal look

My dad called state farm. The answer was, the insurance follows the vehicle, meaning his car insurance would not cover my truck, if he wrecked it. I was right, according to the person at state farms answer.