Car Guys: o-ring and fuel

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SixDemonBag, Jan 19, 2010.

1. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

In a quick fix for some leaky AN fittings I used a o-ring. I didn't have much of a choice and I had to drive the car back home that night. The o-ring worked and I have no more leaks, but I'm wondering how long that o-ring will last before the fuel starts to break it down.

2. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Your car will catch on fire tomorrow.

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

4. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

It was out of a box of "value pack" o-rings from VatoZone. Just a black o-ring, probably not enough to go off of.

Thats a handy link, thanks.

5. Cameronswmp9

Cameronswmp9

AN fittings do not need O-Rings. They are machined to seal on their own.

6. BigChuck73

BigChuck73 Registered Lurk

2003 Nissan Altima
    Car somtimes idle very rough at start very recently. Almost like it's going to stall, but hasn't. Once I drive car is perfect. When I try it next day - no problems starting. The rough start happened Friday first time and then the Service Engine soon light came on and then went off the next day.

The smell of gas has been about two weeks. Very strong odor of gas in car when started - goes away in a few minutes.

Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

7. BigChuck73

BigChuck73 Registered Lurk

Sorry Sixdemon....meant to post new post...not thread jacking :) Saw your question and rememered I wanted to ask the fellas.

8. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

I know, mine were leaking for some reason no matter how "loose" or tight we secured them. I needed a quick fix to drive the car, I'm working on getting new fittings from Aeromotive.

9. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Fittings can only be tightened so tight or so often, then they start to deform or gall and pretty soon you can't get them to seal, if they are Aluminum, it happens pretty quick. Also check your tubing to make sure it is flared properly and not damaged, you may need to replace it.

IMHO, if I were replacing the fittings, I would consider replacing the tubing also unless it is one of those mandrel bent assemblies that cost a fortune.

10. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

Which tubing are you referring to?

My friend and I who installed them have installed aftermarket fuel systems before which utilized AN fittings, we hand threaded the fittings to insure no cross threading and only snugged them up, we didn't tighten them with a 12" crescent wrench or anything. And it seems it is only leaking from a few fittings when we installed about 6 fittings on the other rail side with no issues what so ever. :dunno:

11. Deamer

Deamer

Is the fitting going to a flared line or into a manifold or valve? Does the cone sealing surface on the male AN fitting have a o-ring groove in it near the tip(earlier styles I think). The ones I have used have a teflon o-ring there. For the ones without an o-ring groove you should be able to order a conical seal for it if going to a flared tube. They come in copper, aluminum, stainless and Nickel. I don't know if local stores stock them or if you would have to order it. It should stop small leaks. I use them everyday on 6000k systems so you shouldn't have a problem with your gas system.

http://www.secoseals.com/02ProductList.html

If going into a manifold, valve or some female fittings just make sure you have the right o-ring material and the right size. you don't want it too small or squishing it out if too big. There should be a small beveled edge at the beginning of the female threads that positions the o-ring.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010