close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car experts - need your help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jdavionic, Nov 25, 2012.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I've previously posted about driving my daughter's older Honda Accord that has 190k miles down to her college ~500 miles. All was fine.

Now with winter break approaching, I'm wondering whether it makes more sense just to leave it down there over the break.

If I did that, the car would sit for exactly 4 weeks. The other option is to drive down in another vehicle, follow her up, she'd drive it over the break, then follow her back down at the end of the break. She really doesn't need the car over the break.

If I leave it down there, I could either put in a storage unit or leave it outside. The car is currently in Central FL.

So with all that, what would you recommend - drive it up or store it down there for 4 weeks?

If I store it, I'm thinking that I ought to -
    - fill the tank up with premium gas?
    - over inflate the tires by ~ 5 psi?
    - disconnect the battery?
    - rent a storage unit to keep it in versus leaving it outside

I don't know if all of that is required for 4 weeks or not.

What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

2. BlownFiveLiter

BlownFiveLiter

I would leave it exactly as it is. The battery should be able to hold a charge for a month.

3. JDennis

JDennis

For a month, dont worry about the gas. Make sure tires are filled, disconnect the battery.

4. vart

vart

My suburban sits for a month at a time without being driven and it fires right up every time; no need to do anything special.

Now, if it was for a year or so, then there are things you should do...

5. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I thought about getting a battery maintainer/tender. But I could almost by a replacement battery for the money...and then I wouldn't have to worry about where to plug it & keeping the hood popped over.

Leaving the battery connected has the advantage of keeping the alarm armed.

6. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

A properly working modern car should start right up after sitting idle for a month. Even the battery should keep enough charge without disconnecting it, unless the car has an unusually high drain current.

7. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Don't disconnect anything... A month is not long enough to worry about anything draining or going flat.

8. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

No need to rent a storage unit?

9. JMS

JMS 02

Buy a club for it and leave it be.

10. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Not for the cars sake... If the area is high crime or you have other non automotive concerns that is a different story.

Full disclosure, I've been in the car business for years and buy for a lot that has 900+ cars on the ground at any given time. We routinely have cars waiting on parts or in our repo section that sit for multiple months with no preperation or special considerations. I had a Lincoln Navigator that was reported stolen in Mexico (ins fraud) that sat for 6 months while we got that mess worked out...turned the key and it fired up no problem. Unless something is draining the battery, a month or two is no problem at all. Worst case you jump start it.

11. ray9898

ray9898

It's only a month, no need to do anything. My hunting/fishing/camping vehicle sits that long several times a year and fires right up.

12. 427

As others have said, if the car is sitting for a month you don't have to do anything special.

When you go back check all the fluids and tire pressure, though.

13. captainstormy

captainstormy

You seriously worry to much about this car. Also, why are you driving down to your daughter?

Just have her drive it up, let it sit unused during the break and drive it back down. She's a big girl.

While its up there it would give you a chance to do any maintenance you wanted as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

14. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

Put car in park,roll up windows,remove keys from ignition,lock the doors and walk away.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

You're probably right that I worry too much. There is no outstanding maintenance that I need to do on the vehicle. It has been well maintained over the life the vehicle and had the service required before bringing it down there...including 4 new tires.

We are going to get a low mileage used vehicle for her next year. This car will be used locally by my other daughter. In the meantime, there's no way I'm comfortable letting her drive by herself up here. Yes, we've got AAA and she has a cell phone. But stuff happens. Call me an over-protective Dad.

16. Paul_J

Paul_J

If it did need service this would be a great time for a shop to store......opps, I meant perform the service for you. :whistling:

I'm also an over protective dad who has a daughter that drives between Houston and Dallas to attend school. It's only 4.5 hours but I don't rest until I get the message she is at her dorm.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  17. PBR Sailor

PBR Sailor

Make sure the gas tank is full and the tires are properly inflated before you park it. Throw a dryer sheet under the seat and one in the trunk to keep out the musty smell if it is humid where you are going to park it. Lock the doors of course. Park it where you will not forget it's location and you be able to find it in a month.

18. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Park it where it won't get towed ... :whistling:

19. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Thanks. I would have never thought about the dryer sheet idea.

20. roger123

roger123

I'm in the Navy and have routinely let my car sit for 6 months at a time with no issues. The car will be fine for a month.