close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Car Carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DaneA, Jul 17, 2012.

1. DaneA

DaneA

Ok, I can't find the info I'm looking for.
    Scenario:
    Driving in a public park that is posted no guns in the state of TN. Is it legal to have a gun on you if you do not exit your vehicle?

Reference to applicable law would be appreciated.

2. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member Silver Member

3. DaneA

DaneA

Thanks but I've already been there.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

When there is a sign posted that reads, "No Guns" most folks choose to heed it or ignore it.

But you don't understand what it means?
    What am I missing?

I know TN likes their stupid laws, like no hunting with a semi-auto 22, et al....

:shocked:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  5. DaneA

DaneA

and

The TN code excludes vehicle carry from an offense on school property. My question is if something like this applies to posted public properties such as a park.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. SgtScott31

SgtScott31

The TCA you're referring to is an affirmative defense to the charge of carrying on school property. It is not referencing unlawful carry w/intent to go armed (39-17-1307) at parks, civic centers, etc.

My first question would be if you actually have a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). If not, carrying in your vehicle at all if the weapon is within reach is illegal.

If you DO have a HCP, the new law allows you to carry in a state park.

If you are in a park not owned by the state, it varies. Some towns/cities opted out of the state law and continued to ban weapons (including handguns) from their parks. This includes those who also have permits. This information is under TCA 39-17-1311.

Under (b)(1) you are exempt if you have a HCP (at a state park) or if you are in any park solely for "picking up/dropping off passengers and the weapon remains in the vehicle."

You have to strictly conform to the picking up/dropping off function. If you use this as an excuse to the officer and he has evidence to prove otherwise, you will likely be arrested. That's outlined here: