car cameras

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by bdcochran, Apr 5, 2019.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

Well, there is a building boom in town. I will describe some of the construction. Two different, former restaurants within walking distance of home. Being torn down and 6 story plus apartments going up in each location. A third location, a former Burger King went down and there is a 6 story apartment building on the site now.

This means there is no longer a rush hour - the traffic is continuous 24/7. It creates an extreme situation. It is more than the stress of driving - it is the potential accidents which can be time-consuming and expensive.

Rear mounted cameras are now required under federal law on new cars. I have an older car with low mileage which I intend to keep for another 10 years. My kid got 240,000 miles on the same model of car. So, I bought a recommended rear camera (having had a front camera installed a year ago). Yes, I watched a video of how to install. The problem was if I screwed up, I didn't have a person or a vehicle to drive me to get different parts. So, I had it installed and then re-installed again today (no one is perfect, even the guys who install them everyday for a living). The unit is portable and I can use it when the current car dies in another 10 years.

Short of the proverbial nuclear war/emp attack/earthquake/civil disturbance, one of the extreme survival situations presents itself when you take your car on the road.

Scott60 likes this.
  2. Scott60

Scott60

I agree, I'm looking at mounting a front-facing camera to the rear due to the number of people who like to tail-gate. At least if and when they pop me I'll have their license numbers in clear view!

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I watch dash camera stuff when killing time in place with wifi. I'm amazed the driver with the camera does not see "red flags" 12 seconds before the incident.
    Most of the time I ID the future threat before they tell you which car to watch. Back off from drivers having control problems. It will continue, get worse.
    Wife's friend is impressed I have called out car that smashes into something (or almost does) long before it does. Dad taught me to evaluate every car around me. I'm slipping. I have to pay much more attention then I used to. But +5 seconds warning can avoid many hits. You can check your escape route,noon firm trouble, clear danger. At least warn passengers, reduce impact.

motorcycleman likes this.
  4. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I cant really get into the "all eyes" on everything all the time. I just do not want to live that way.

ranger1968 likes this.
  5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The differences are you aren't the driving the car, you are focused on the video, and you know something is coming.

6. larry_minn

Yes. To a extent. But there are clues that a driver is too aggressive, not paying attention...

I have been the driver, seen the warning signs and moves off the X. Let them crash into someone else, go in ditch... In real life you can see poor drivers before they wreck. MN ice it's easy. Slick interstate, car comming down ramp faster then we are going. I open my window, wave guy next to me to slow down. 4wd roaring onto freeway goes right across infront of us into ditch, cables. We just tool on by. A 3 car, minimum, road restricted becomes a single SUV minor damage.
    I get away from dangerous drivers. I have decided to stop for fuel, food... Early just to get away from them. I have seen that vehicle in ditch, behind tow truck further on.
    Give poor drivers more room. Let some idiots tailgate them.
    I like more room between me and traffic. ( then 2 second rule) especially if I'm being tailgated, it's slick.

7. Blanton

Blanton

Riding a motorcycle has taught me much about driving a car defensively. Drive like you're invisible, try to keep a cushion of space around your car at all times (I'm always amazed at people on multi-lane roads who will pull up on the left or right of a car and stay there side by side), slow down if being tailgated they'll eventually go around, pay attention and expect drivers to do stupid things especially when it's busy or bad weather.

Malicent, FullClip and sas-G19 like this.
  8. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    This.

9. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

I've used about 5 dash cams so far and my favorite one is the Garmin 55.

It can connect to your phone so need for a computer to download your videos.

10. larry_minn

I was in WW they had a cheap dashcam $7. I bought one. Am charging it, will try it out tomorrow.

edit to add.
    Ok you get what you pay for. So far it seems no audio. But you can switch it to record audio only? Back to instruction book.
    It’s not internet quality. At least on 1.8” screen. It has usb... so will hook to laptop next week, see how it works.
    Wonder what in rear of car I can hook it to electric system live when car running.
    It runs on a loop.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    wiskeyVI and Von Hayes like this.